SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nana8_gw

Species Tulips T.sylvestris, Florentine Tulip,1597

nana8
15 years ago

Does anyone know how I can get these tulips to bloom. I have a large patch of them under the Ginko tree that never bloom. some of them bloom up by the house

( a bit more sun), but not many. I tried adding lime to the area, but not any better. There is a large area in the next block, at the Kentucky Garden Club Headquarters, and they never bloom there either. They are under a Large Ginko there, which is well over 100 years old. We do not mow them till after the proper bloom time, any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Marge

Comments (5)

• ljrmiller
    15 years ago

It's probably too cold in your area when they want to bloom. I have mine in dry shade in clay soil under bushes and trees, and they bloom about the time of the earliest giant Crocus. I pretty much ignore them, not clipping, trimming, mowing, and I allow them to set seed. Other plants growing well around them include Epimediums, Pulmonaria, Hellebores and Hostas.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Marge,

Could they maybe need to be divided? or they aren't getting enough water under the tree? I saw in another post of yours that they had been planted by the previous owners. At the minimum, how long have they been planted in their present location?

Maybe you should dig some, bring them to the swap, and I'll see if they will bloom for me...think?

Sue...who loves species tulips..........

• nana8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue, I will be happy to bring you some, and wish you well on their blooming for you. Marge

• nana8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot the other question. They were probably planted somewhere from 40 years ago to 150 years ago, as these are both in the historical area. Also, I do get a few blooms up by the house, the squirrels may have moved them, maybe you are right, and the foundation of the house helps them warm enough to bloom. Marge

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Sue, I will be happy to bring you some,
    Well, I would be thrilled if you would bring me some.

They were probably planted somewhere from 40 years ago to 150 years ago
    YIKES! They have likely multiplied so many times that the bulbs are just way too crowded and small to bloom. You may have hundreds or thousands of small bulbs, too small to bloom.

Also, I do get a few blooms up by the house, the squirrels may have moved them,
    Yes, my guess is that they maybe did a little dividing of them for you...thus a few blooms.

I'm off to email you about what else I can bring to the swap for you and your shade beds. I acquired something new and cool from the wild that you might like a start of!

Sue