SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaimeg_gw

How to dig up bulbs and tulip blast

jaimeg
17 years ago

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I didn't see it in the FAQ...can I get a brief overview of what to do when I dig up my tulip bulbs?

By reading here, I've noticed that it seems to be the thing to do for the tulips because I have horrible clay soil. Also, I'm not sure if daff. need to be dug up as well? Are both kinds of bulbs prone to rot in clay?

I planted tulip and daff. bulbs last fall (when we first moved to a new house, in a new state) by digging a big hole and filling with top soil. This was not the original plan, but what I ended up doing when I discovered the awful soil! I was not up to the task once I found out how hard it is to dig in clay!!! I planted DAFFODIL SALOME, TULIP GREENLAND, TULIP APPLE BLOSSOM MIX from Brecks.

Also, some of the tulips looked like a picture I found online as "tulip blast." The flowers were all distorted. Can this happen one year, but get good flowers the next? We had weird weather so I blamed that, or are the bulbs bad?

Also, if I leave the daff., can I plant annuals over them?

I think that's all the questions I have! Sorry, I'm very new to using bulbs in my landscaping! Thanks for your time!

Comments (4)