SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shawn_bonsai

Picea Glauca Conica - Beginner Bonsai Questions

shawn_bonsai
16 years ago

Greetings all,

This is my first post and am hoping you'll be able to offer me some guidance. I am new to the Bonsai art...have a couple indoor starters that I've managed to keep alive for some months and I have read about a dozen books. Finally, I've decided to create a couple outdoor bonsai trees from nursery material I acqured a week ago - two Picea Glauca Conica trees in two gallon plastic pots. They are 12-15" inches in height and have a 1" diameter trunk at its base. Both have nice surface roots, one is a formal upright candidate, the other a myogi candidate.

What I need help with is advice on the best way to proceed given my circumstances. My numerous books seem to offer conflicting opinions and I am at a loss. So please, help!

I live in Zone 6 (Northern Kentucky) and since it is still early Autumn, I wonder whether I should repot by slipping them into training pots (no pruning); go ahead and root prune, shape, repot in a bonsai pot, and wire; or put into the ground for the winter and move to a pot in the Spring. Or do you have another idea that might be best.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Comments (7)

Sponsored