SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roadtrip_gw

Forced Bulbs...

roadtrip
18 years ago

Hello everyone! I work for a garden center and we've got loads of Tulips & Hyacinths that have been forced in our two large walk-in coolers. Once the bulbs have started to bloom, but before the bloom is entirely blown (no longer suitable for sale in pots), they are taken to the floral designers and they snip the flower off and the bulbs are thrown away.

I have been saving two or three pots of bulbs each shift I work and bringing them home. Bad thing is sometimes they snip the flower and much of the foliage (mainly the tulips), which I know is needed for the vigor of the bulb and storing energy for next year.

My question is there any way to treat the bulbs to better my chances at success for next year? One of the girls in the shop told me to "split the bulb", by means of cutting the tulip bulb in half and this is supposed to garentee bloom next year. Is this advisable? Much of what I've read says that a smaller bulb will not have enough energy to produce a bloom the following year, so wouldn't dividing the bulb acually reduce the plant size and vigor or does the spliting process encourage growth?

With much of the foliage removed from the Tulips how should I treat them now... just pull them up and start drying them out for fall planting?

I've heard that forced tulips rarely rebloom, with better success with daffs and hyacinths, so should I just pitch the tulips or try and save them? They were free for the taking so I just couldn't see them going to the dumpster!

Thanks and take care!!

Shannon

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville