SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
traveler000mkl

My daffodils didn't bloom.. What could be the issue?

Mj
11 years ago

Hi everyone -

We moved into the house fall of 2011, and spring 2012 comes around, we saw a lot of daffs foilage come up in the front garden flower bed (South facing, plenty of sun) in clusters. One large cluster had no flowers at all - not even buds. Other small cluster had two flowers, when it looked like it should have close to 10. I am a total newbie, and after some research, I decided to wait a year because I suspected the foilage might have been cut too early prior year? So I let them brown on their own during 2012. I also thought they might have been too clustered, so I divided them into less crowded clusters in the same area in early October 2012 and mulched, etc. I left the small cluster alone.

This spring, foilage on the small cluster came up earlier and thicker and that one flowered much better! It looks great! But the large cluster that had no flower or bud last year that I divided, same result. Lots of foilage but nothing else. Foliage for this cluster is thinner than the other one that has flowers, but they seem to be full length foliage, looks healthy, etc.

I am suspecting couple of things, but not exactly sure what the issue could be and what I should do... I am a total newbie so all these are speculations based on research of course.

1) Maybe the bulbs are not mature enough to flower/send out buds? When I dig some of them up last fall, they did look smaller than the ones you see at the garden center. Some of them like a size of a garlic clove some bigger. If so, do I need to leave them in the groupd a couple more years to see them flower anything?
2) Are they planted to shallow and keep dividing without being able to mature? Should I replant again in the fall to the deeper depth?
3) Do I need to fertilize them? 5-10-5 seems to be the right way to go for daffs?

I have no idea if they flowered prior to 2011. Would I be What do you think? Do I have a solution here, or just dig them up and plant new ones?

Thanks!!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting