SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hitexplanter

Any one using zeolite or zeopro?

hitexplanter
17 years ago

Hi all, I am new to this forum but I have been reading avidly about the various challenges to container growing short and long term. Bark and pumice are two options but zeolite seems like a possible alternate to turface Too heavy IMO. Also I haven't found turface other than over priced Schulz in small bags and would like to know if anyone has used zeolite or zeopro for any extented time period and how it worked for them? It is a very light product almost like perlite but supposedly much more versatile for nutrient and air holding capacity.

I have been growing in containers for 20 years and the best single ingredient I have used was in Hawaii where volcanic cinder is used extensively. It comprised about 60% by volume for our tropical fruit tree nursery. It was cheap, easy to get and already ground to about a 3/8 inch minus in size (pumice is usually too small except in gallon or under size pots)IMO. Here in Texas all you can get is 1 cu. ft. bags cinder (pumice) of 1 inch size dia. or so. Too big for container growing unless you are doing 30 gal + in size. I digress, I want a light economical inert media with great water, nutrient and air holding capacity that won't collape in the long term 2 years+. Hence zeolite might be an option but I have only used it once, years ago and not enough to see how it works long term and as a major component to a soiless mix.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone might share on this product and their experiences with it.

Happy Growing David

Comments (12)