SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Local Home Despot had summer bulbs out, I succumbed

I cant actually pretend I resisted. Considering I drove there on purpose on the way home from an appointment, without any flimsy excuse of needing any form of hardware. It was a sunny day, that was one excuse. I needed a reward, that was the other. I know I will have to store the dahlias in the cold basement for a while before I can even start them indoors. I can at least say, they certainly werenÂt picked over.

I got:

Dahlias:

Garden Wonder ÂredÂdecorativeÂ30"

StarÂs Favorite Âpink and creamÂcactusÂ.40"

Strawberry Ice ÂpinkÂ.dinnerplateÂ.36-48"

Vancouver Âstreaky FuchsiaÂdinnerplateÂ.36 Â 48"

Sky Angel Âwhite with purple tipsÂdecorativeÂ36-48"

I could tell some were the same kinds they had last year. I did get StarÂs Favorite last year, really liked it. That was my only repeat. Actually I had Strawberry Ice too, but I donÂt remember what it looked like, it started blooming too late. I do recall it did not look like the picture. Strawberry Ice and Vancouver were packaged together. Another Strawberry Ice packaged alone had a picture that was nothing like that on the combo pack. I will probably get more at some different store later. I still need some deep wine red: so will have to keep looking. They had Arabian Night, which I had last year and didnÂt like. Tall, tall plant, too-small flowers. Yellow center too big, not enough rows of petals. (How picky I amÂ)

I also got:

Lilies: I will cross post this section in Lilies too.

Commander in Chief ÂredÂthink itÂs an asiaticÂ42 -48"

Triumphator Âwhite with deep pink centerÂtrumpetÂ3 to 4 feet

Pink Heaven Âlight solid pinkÂtrumpetÂ.3 to 4 feet

I think I remember people saying Commander in Chief was good. I like reds that are not orangey. If this one IS orangey, please tell me! I moved a dozen + Monte Negro last year because they were the wrong shade of red. I need reds that can get along with pink, which means cool blue-reds, not hot orange reds. I picked the least sprouted of the packages, but it was sprouted. I will have to figure out how to slow them down. Store them on the cold basement floor? Even colder garage?

Triumphator and Pink Heaven were bagged together, labeled as Trumpet. They didnÂt look like Trumpets to me, and looking through the Brent and BeckyÂs catalog I saw them both in there, labeled as LOÂs, Longiflorum-Oriental hybrids. I donÂt have any LOs. (Well, until now). I donÂt even have any trumpets except one I planted in fall 08 (Pink Perfection), it grew OK last summer (short, 3 flowers), but it is probably too soon to tell if it really likes it where I put it.

If anyone can tell me more about what they DO like, please do.

Also got:

Canna Durban Â.orange flowerÂred/gold/green striped leavesÂis supposed to be short, at 30"

Daylily El Desperado Â.pale yellow with wine eye and a little wine outline on some petals.

IÂve never successfully grown cannas and gotten them to bloom. I picked this because it has nice leaves, so if blooms never show up, itÂll be alright.

I canÂt say WHY I bought the daylily. I have never bought a bagged hardware store daylily before. I recognized the name and the picture and remembered that I had liked it before when I saw other peopleÂs pictures. I checked all the bags in the bin, squinted through the green plastic, and picked one obviously alive but not too long leaved yet. I picked one that had a great air of enthusiasm, yet did not appear to be too reckless.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County