SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rolacoy

Tell me about keeping Caladium bulbs for next year.

rolacoy
14 years ago

Tell me about keeping Caladium bulbs for next year.

I post this question in the Lily forum and was told to ask the question in this forum.

I do not know much about plants, but I am trying to grow flowers in my garden. I was at HomeDepot and saw packages of Caladiums, I think there were 18 in the bag for about $10.00. I did some checking and found out that in our area they would not come up the second year. But that I could dig them up and store them to replant the second year.

Now I already told you I don't know what I am doing ! How about if I get some plastic cups, make a bunch of holes in the cups, plant the bulbs in the cups in my greenhouse and then put the cups in the garden at the proper time. Then at the end of the season I can see the rims of the cups, pull them up, take the bulbs out of the cups and store the bulbs.

Two things came out of these questions:

One, that these bulbs are very small and will not produce very big plants.

Second, is that if I planted them in plastic cups they would out grow the cups.

I do not have a large budget so if I have to buy larger bulbs they will cost more. I can buy the smaller bulbs and wait a year longer for them to produce larger leaves if I can dig them up and replant them again next year.

We moved into a house that we remodeled about two years ago. I have been building the garden structures for about 18 months. They are nearly done. This year I would like to get some color into the garden this year. You can see my garden at:

http://www.waskomtexas.com/garden_pics/

Any suggestions will help me.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County