SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohiofem

Tips for new owner of an Australian Brush Cherry?

I came across a 18-inch-tall Australian Brush Cherry "Teenie Genie" for sale at an independent garden center and couldn't resist the price: $30 marked down from $75. It looks healthy, but shows a little neglect: roots showing through partially dead moss and a lot of new leaves at branch tips looking like they may need a haircut. It also seems to be leaning forward and is out of balance with the 8-inch pot it's in.

I was told it was on sale because the only employee who was an expert on bonsai had retired more than a month ago. I have some bonsai books and have had some limied experience with bonsai, but I never kept one alive for more than six months, so I know I need to learn a lot more fast. I am aware that this is an indoor bonsai, but I'm thinking it would be happier living outside from spring through fall.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to care for it? Are there good information sources on the web or in the library that could give me more than a beginner's overview? I've googled it and read most of what I found, but it's not very specific.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living