SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macthayer

Repotting a Ficus

macthayer
16 years ago

I was given a Ficus - not sure of it's botanical name but after going through a book on Bonsai, I'm quite sure it's a ficus. Anyway, it must LOVE what I was doing because it grew and grew and grew. I kept it trimmed, of course, but eventually the leaves starting getting paler in color, and I thought "Aha! Time for repotting this baby!" (I'd had it about 2 years). So I bought the potting soil and new decorative stones for the top. Then I tried to get it out of the pot. It was so pot bound that I am astonished I didn't break the pot getting it out. Needless to say, I had to trim the roots to get it back in, something I'd never done before. I was sure I would kill the plant. I also cut the top back considerably. After all that, I couldn't get it back in the pot no matter how hard I tried! The diameter of the woody roots made it impossible. So I bought a somewhat bigger, deeper pot. Now I'm looking at the "soil" that was in the pot. It was basically tiny stones and potting soil. Obviously I need to mimic that. The "Bonsai potting soil" that I received is entirely inorganic, like the stones, so I will need to come up with a mix for repotting this Baby. And by the way, I really did think I'd killed it, so I've had it in an aluminum pan for the past three months, waiting for it to die, and it's done nothing but grow like crazy! So it deserves to be repotted. Does anyone have a "recipe" for a mix they could share with me? Also, how do you get those stones to stick together on the top without forming a barrier that water can't get through? I need to hold in the "dirt", but I still need to water it. Sorry for the long question, and thanks for any help you can offer. MacThayer

Comments (15)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor