SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tande1

What to replace an outdoors cactus / aloe-vera type plant with?

tande1
17 years ago

We bought a condo earlier this year, our first home.

Overall, we love it, but there is one area that we don't like: Our kitchen and one of our patios faces this seldom-used common area. In that area, one of the original owners planted a cactus-like plant there. (Aloe Vera? I'm not sure...) I'm sorry, I don't know the actual name for it. It is HUGE!!! And it is dangerous. I've had to personally trim the edges of the leaves which were as sharp and pointy as a needle, because I did not want my two toddlers to hurt themselves on it. Because it is a common area, I cannot do anything with that plant, but I am forced to look at it everyday, and be concerned about our childrens' safety with it. Plus, I'm sure it doesn't help the property value.

We would like to ask the HOA Board to replace it with another plant (it may or may not happen), but I don't want to just state the problem, I would like to offer a specific recommendation on what to replace it with.

I would like something more soft, and presentable. Not a huge tree, because I don't want the sun to be blocked. Right now, this plant is VERY wide, and stands about 4-4.5 feet tall. That's a good size. Overall, I like a meditteranean style for a garden, but I am open to other ideas.

The plant is in a corner against a wall (that will be painted next year - if that matters). And it is surrounded by little pebbles. We live in California, therefore we have mild weather here yearlong.

Thank you!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure