SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

Chimenea vs. fire bowls--pros & cons

Frankie_in_zone_7
18 years ago

I have a wood deck, on which I've avoided having any kind of fireplace, but recently made a small paver seating area in which I could now use something for "fire" on cool fall or spring evenings. I primarily want it to add warmth for sitting outside and extending the time I can be outside--so the most radiant thing would be best, I think. I've looked at a cast aluminum chimenea that I believe would hold up well (compared to clay or cast iron) but I've never used such an device--don't know about heat, ease of use, cleaning out ash, etc. The cast aluminum is not very picturesque and it is expensive but I've read everything else falls apart quickly. Are the simple cast iron or copper fire bowls good for heat? Anybody want to offer some pros & cons of the different types of "fire" gizmos and what they would buy now, do over ?

Comments (6)

• arcy_gw
    18 years ago

All I can say is my sister has a chimenea and a sun room. In the winter the Chimenea comes into the sun room and it is a fun "fire place" with candles burning in it.

• echoes_or
    18 years ago

What kind of wildfire danger do you have in your area. If none then either or would work. But if you do the more enclosed style the better so embers/sparks don't cause you a problem. I have the open barrel type and like it but my one area of concern is that I do live in a fire prone area and we have to stay with our fires(When they are allowed even) until it's out cold. With a metal or pottery type you can not use water to extinguish. It will crack or warp it. I want to build an in ground fire pit so I can extinguish it when I want to.
    So my advice is if you live in a wildfire prone area contact your local fire protection agency and get their opinion, they often times have requirements you have to meet in the first place.

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, arcy and Echoes.

• Black_Socks
    18 years ago

My Aunt loved her clay chimemea. unfortunately, unknown to her, her cats used the ash as a litter box. It absorbed into the clay and she never could get the stench out. Whew! One plus of aluminum if you have cats...:O)

• nonacook
    18 years ago

Black socks, Did your aunt try baking soda?
    That usually works for smells. It might take several boxes for a clay chimenea.

• Black_Socks
    18 years ago

Not sure if she tried baking soda. The problem seemed to be the odor release anytime the fire was lit again. It was a year or so ago and she is several states away...

Sponsored