SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
botanical_bill

New to Bonsai and here is what I did

botanical_bill
18 years ago

Hello all

Im new into bonsai. What I did is went to HomeDepot and bought a Juniper (parsonii) in a one gallon containter. I searched through the 50+ Juniper pots they had till I found the most upright and fullest plant. I paid under $4 for the plant. I bought a 6'' diameter and 6'' high pot. Filled it half with stone, trimed the heck out of the roots and planted it. I made about 4 small clipps off the tree just to clean it up.
From what I read on the internet and at this form is for me to keep the soil moist to dry but do not let it stay dry for more than a day.
Im in southern Florida and we do not have a cold winter. Right now most people are planting the seasons new flowers and tomatos, so I guess its spring time here. I would like to know what I should do different to grow bonsais down here. I have a few ficus and they grow good but I realy do not like the ficuses. I would like to grow a trident maple but from what Ive heard is that these trees do not grow well in Zone 10. I bought some seeds for a trident, elm, olive and a few others. Im going to sow them in the fridge to get them going.
Any advice for Florida would be nice.
Oh, moving is not an option yet.
Here is a picture of my new pet. http://www.zdarko.net/bonsai

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County