SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carmellia_gw

Xmas Schefflera

carmellia
15 years ago

I was given a small Schefflera bonzai for Xmas. It came in a 3" diameter pot.

This type of leafing habit wouldn't appear to lend itself to miniaturization.

I trunk is about 4 1/2" tall (3" original trunk and 1 1/2 sprouted trunk). There are 4 leaves (I am assuming that each 5-petal group is 1 leaf). A new leaf is sprouting out at the base of the top leaf. There also appears to be some sprouting taking place towards the top of both the original trunk and the green trunk, although I am not sure about that.

My question is how do I get the leaves to be smaller? The leaves I have are much larger than what I think of as bonsai. Some of the petals(?) are 4 and 5 inches long.

Also, the new leave that is sprouting - should I pinch it off or let it grow?

I think I am doing alright as far as not over or underwatering. The light and temp conditions also seem to be acceptable. I have never bonsaied before and am collecting what tips I can get. I do notice that bonsais are not all treated the same, so I hesitate to follow hints from people who are talking about fir and oak and ficus. The leaves of the Schefflera are so distinctive that I would like to know how to treat a Schefflera in particular. Thank you all very much. Carmellia

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!