SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittyrizo

Dying Azalea Bonsai Please Help!

kittyrizo
16 years ago

I recieved this little azalea bonsai for Christmas and although I have read online how to take care of it I seem to see it only worsening!

First, it has brown/black dots on the leaves. Many leaves are turning yellow, then browing, and then dying. A few days after I recieved the bonsai I noticed that it had little tiny webs on the lower part of the trunk. I wanted to try something natural before trying chemicals and I sprayed the base of the trunk with water which washed off the webs and I have not seen these return.

Today when I was cleaning out around the trunk and picking out the decaying and old leaves I noticed little yellow balls in the soil and I realized that many of the roots of the plant were sticking out.

My plant is kept indoors. In a room that is maintained at 65 degrees. It sits next to a window that somedays I leave the blinds down but I do try to be sure to open the blinds to allow in the light. This window never gets direct sunlight. I choose it because I read that Azalea Bonsai's did not require direct sunlight. I also read to allow the bonsai to go a week in-between watering during the dormant winter season. I recently read something that conflicted with this and said every 2nd or 3rd day.

Please help! I'm afraid this beautiful little plant is in the hands of a novice.

I will try to post pictures to help. Thank you so much!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz