SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bronwynsmom_gw

Tiny balcony in Houston, TX

bronwynsmom
17 years ago

I need advice on planting a fast growing, relatively small-leaved climber to grow up a wall on a tiny enclosed 12th floor balcony facing north-northwest in Houston (zone 9-a). The building walls (poured concrete) form the east and west walls, the slider into the dining area forms the third, and a simple iron railing runs across the open side. I want to plant something in a rectangular planter along the eastern (western facing) wall that will form a nice layer of green on the wall in a fairly short time. I'll have to trellis it somehow (I'm thinking a few tall redwood sticks in the planter and fishing line), as the apartment is rented, and I don't want to do anything to the walls themselves. Because it is enclosed, the wall doesn't get a lot of direct sun all day, but Houston is hot hot hot in the summer, and I want a cooling effect with something that can take it. Flowers would be nice, but greenery is more important, and evergreen would be very nice, too. I am a Virginia girl, and have no idea what to do in Texas! And since I will not be there all the time, and my DH is not, shall we say, entirely reliable in the plant care department, I need it to be fairly forgiving. Ideas?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor