SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjaneri

COREtec Plus Flooring

jjaneri
9 years ago
We are building and looking for a wide rustic plank floor. I stopped into a flooring store and am most intrigued by the benefits of COREtec.
If had hardwoods before and love them. However, the ice maker in the kitchen leaked, he dishwasher leaked and over time all that leaking caused severe damage. We replaced the kitchen floor area with tile - the transition looked great. Regarding the rest of the floor, over time between the dog and sun beating in the dining room, we put up with scratches and sun damage.
So now the dilemma. COREtec is water proof and scratch resistant (and easy to replace a piece if it does get scratched). It is also vinyl. If it looks great (and I have a huge multi room area), nearly the same price as solid hardwoods (yet I will save on installation). Regarding resell, will this hurt me?

Comments (956)

• Anirban Banerjee
    4 years ago

One more question - quarter moulding from Coretec seems to be quite expensive. Did anyone find a good alternative ? I could not find specific suggestions although I did find references to alternatives.

• Anirban Banerjee
    4 years ago

We are planning to install COREtec Plus XL on concrete floors. Besides using a 6 mil vapor barrier, will installing an additional underlayment provide better support against vertical denting and/or provide better heat insulation ? This is at ground level, i.e. underneath is the foundation.

We are also planning to install COREtec Plus XL Enhanced as floating floor on previously installed vinyl (glued) flooring in our basement. Anything to consider differently here ? Planning the 6 milm vapor barrier here anyway. Many thanks in advance for any pointers.

• Related Discussions

cleaning coretec flooring

Q

Comments (0)
    Does anyone know which Hoover floor mate model would be best for coretec plus flooring . I have just laid it throughout my apt. and need to buy appliances to care for it. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    ...See More

Coretec plus Norwegian Maple floor

Q

Comments (33)
    Hi Lisa, I start w floor vacuum w no beater brush to risk damage to lvp. It’s combo to vacuum or sweep for me. Then use heavier dry swifter pads on their mop to remove dust. Can also use dust mop. Then use damp o cedar easy wring mop. Tried drops of dawn or pinesol in bucket of water but don’t really need it unless there’s grimy area. The less you put on floor the less chance of buildup though you can rinse after too. Best thing about this floor is how little dirt you can see, but you’ll feel any grit or dust. Enjoy it. It took me a while to get used to it (2mos) because had bamboo, wood, but this is so much easier and either the cork backing or traces of wood shavings in center give it a woodsy smell. It is not giving off gasses type of smell, since it’s got good rating, so enjoy the woodsy scent. The color is so good I can’t tell if a spot I see is coffee I spilled or a knot design on wood pattern!
    ...See More

Does anyone have photos of COREtec floors in Waddington Oak

Q

Comments (8)
    Has anyone installed Coretec’s Conch Ash? it’s in their ”Original” Premium” line, whatever that means. Another one we’re considering is Coretec’s Aurora Oak. Would love feedback on either or both!
    ...See More

Did you use additional underlayment under Coretec Plus floorings ?

Q

Comments (10)
    For the extra underlayment (if you want to use it) I would highly recommend working with more cork. The Coretec Plus XL has cork underlayment attached to it. Cork can have issues with noise (squeaking...almost like rubbing two balloons together) when put together with another material. If you want to work with another 3mm of underpadding, then I recommend 3mm worth of cork. Anything else and you run the risk of an annoying squeaking issue every time you step on the floor. Cork on cork is well established and should have very few issues.
    ...See More
  • anirbn
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I received a lot of very useful information at this forum. So thought, I would share my experience with vendors. I shopped around a lot. Finally got the best price from Be$tlaminate They are a physical store. So you are not dealing with an online only entity. They gave me the best prices, shipped in two separate shipments as the two different kind of floorings each became available. Finally, when I reported damaged boxes, without a hassle gave me the offer of sending replacements. Highly recommended.

• ocrose
    4 years ago

I am also interested in CoreTec EVP line , engineered vinyl plank. I live in southern CA and our neighborhood has been prone to slab leaks and pipe leaks (blame the contractors that built cookie cutter homes with cheap copper pipes). I have read ROI is not high on luxury vinyl, but an interior designer recently told me she is having them installed in multi million dollar homes. Anyone from SoCal can confirm this? Thanks!

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Vinyl, even luxury vinyl, should not cost anywhere near real hardwood.

• E Kill
    4 years ago

Love our new cortec floor!

• HU-78192845
    4 years ago

What color is that?

• ocrose
    4 years ago

Yes, color please! So nice

• E Kill
    4 years ago

Cannon cliff oak

• Aaron Morris
    4 years ago

Our coretec plus midway oak is going in right now it’s already way better than the 10 year old pergo XP that’s been failing. I have an old dog with bladder cancer so he tends to destroy flooring quickly.

• HU-575249518
    4 years ago

Your flooring looks great. I’m planning on purchasing the Peruvian Walnut or Marsh Oak. I have pets and want to purchase the best quality for my situation.

I’m sorry to hear about your dog. I’ll be praying for him and for you.

• J Petrilli Vanmeter
    4 years ago

I'm considering the brand new engineered waterproof wood in Afton Hickory also-but it's very expensive and I would love to hear from someone that has used it! This is not their luxury vinyl- it's very new and is real wood. Cannot find reviews anywhere online!

• User
    4 years ago

@Anirban Banerjee, I didn't use the Coretec quarter rounds that match my Coretec Hayes Oak. Just regular quarter rounds that will be painted by my painter. Personally, I like my white quarter rounds better than the ones that go with Hayes. I think the matching quarter rounds look plasticy.

• ocrose
    4 years ago

Hello all,

Is the CoreTec product glued down or floating? Pros/cons to glued down vs. floating?

• PRO
    WeShipFloors
    4 years ago

ocrose,

It's a floating floor.

Have you checked out our SUPERcore flooring? It has a denser core, aluminum oxide anti scratch and a 30 mil commercial wear layer. Plus right now its on sale for $2.79 per square foot including delivery nation wide. Here it is against coretec in a smash video I did a while back. It has 235,000 views :-)

• Linda Burns
    4 years ago

We put coretec in three years ago over our entire first floor. Hard wood would have been less expensive. Biggest mistake I’ve made with our remodel. We were looking for scratch resistance and waterproofing. We have multiple dents that are not covered by warranty. I’m already wanting to replace. Besides it was not easy to install in multiple rooms either. Terrible

• User
    4 years ago

It's odd. I had it put in; I've had contractors in and out sliding furniture across it. Dragging ladders. I dropped some heavy stuff on it accidentally. I have yet to find a scratch or dent in my Hayes Oak. Yet my old, very damaged hardwoods had scratches, dents, didn't clean up well.

• jjaneri
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I started this thread in Oct 2014. We moved into our home in Nov 2015 and we did use CoreTech.
    After 2homes with wood floors, we couldn't be happier. Visitors are amazed that they aren't real wood. I clean them with a dust mop throughout the week and every 2weeks I use a rag mop with vinegar and water and a dash of Dawn.
    We have one dog, but very often have a second as a foster. No scratch marks from the dogs. LOTS of traffic. Easy clean up when the fosters have accidents.
    I visit friends homes where the wood floors in the kitchen are warping around the fridge and dishwasher, which is the exact problem we had with wood floors in our previous kitchen. Our new home has a very open floor plan, so couldn't isolate the kitchen if we did hardwoods elsewhere.
    We went with the wide plank as the large space needed that. We could not have afforded wide plank wood floors. So while the CoreTech was pricey, it was much less then wide plank wood floors.
    So pleased. I have recommended it to many. Both of my sister's now have LVP in their homes.

• User
    4 years ago

I love hearing stories like yours @jjaneri. It is obviously concerning to read when people have not had a good experience with it. I wonder if they got a bad batch, if they didn't have good installers, or if Coretec has improved quite a bit (although yours were installed in 2014.) I have not had a tremendous amount of run time with it, but I have had work done on my house after the install and so far, it's holding up and I'm not seeing scratches, denting, and it cleans up so easy that I've been shocked, especially since Hayes Oak is textured.

• User
    4 years ago

@anirbn My first choice in LVP was actually Aduramax Dry Cork. It looks gorgeous in photos, but when I bought a carton of it, put it on my floor I didn't like the dark gray tones, especially since my countertop on the island is walnut and my furniture is mostly warm tone. I then bought a carton of Aduramax Napa Tannin which is the darker warmer version. I put it on my floor, thought at first I liked it, then had my flooring rep give me an estimate. Over night, I realized that I was talking myself into liking it, didn't like the more orangey tones and I also realized I couldn't live with high variation between planks or a darker, warmer floor. I couldn't find anything else I really liked, saw some online pics of Hayes Oak (Coretec) that looked great with low variability between planks. Bought a carton of that. I was actually unsure about it because it looked washed out and gray in the planks! (Installed so much different). When I put it against the Aduramax Dry Cork and Napa Tannin planks, I felt that the Aduramax looked a little more plasticy to me than the Coretec Hayes Oak. To me, it just looked a lot faker and the Hayes Oak looked a little more realistic or at least not so try hard! Probably what made me pull the trigger the most is that Hayes is wider, and twice as long. It also had the treads for the stairs -- fully cover, not piecemeal. The width and length cut down on the patterns. I think it was about $4K more than the estimate for Aduramax, but I'm glad I went with Coretec. That said, I read a lot of good things about Aduramax. I did go with their Auduramax luxury vinyl tile intended to look like marble tile in my bathroom and I'm meh about it.

Definitely buy a carton before installing. If I had only gone by pics, I would've installed Aduramax Dry Cork and I would have hated it in my home (it looks amazing in other people's houses I've seen in photos though).

• Shelley Abernatha
    4 years ago

We have installed laminate wood flooring with no issues . The “tile” COREtec is terrible there is not enough tongue and groove to properly connect. The corners are constantly popping up. We totally wasted money and time.

• Shelley Abernatha
    4 years ago

I can not find a review section in the Coretec web site. I have never written a negative comment but I will make an exception in this case. Wish to warn anyone to not waste their money on the so called tile. It is horrible to install and pops up at corners. We have installed wood planks with out any problems, but not this !

• HU-476475958
    4 years ago

Recently installed COREtec Plus Biscayne Oak - we love it! No scratches from the 60 lb. dog or from the grandkid toys - it lives up to its reputation. We did not install ourselves - we used a professional installer who was a perfectionist.

• User
    4 years ago

Biscayne Oak looks fantastic! I've had Hayes Oak for two months now. I haven't had any issues that others have had. In fact, I dropped a large kettlebell on the floor the other day and no mark on the floor. I don't know if Coretec just improved on their product or if my installers just were perfectionists or if it was a combination of both!

• Katie Fodrocy
    3 years ago

Anyone have pictures of Wheldon Oak

• Laurie Malenick Wise
    3 years ago

Lianne McMahan, hoe did your decide in which direction to lay your floor?

• HU-350381242
    3 years ago

Our Coretec Plus Gallaxy floors after one month of use. Parents had to move in due to Covid. Dad is in a wheelchair and needs an assistive device.

• HU-350381242
    3 years ago

Our floors after one month. Very sad. They were profesionlly installed.

• Lynn
    3 years ago

HU-350381242 The Cortec Galaxy is part of the Pro line - which I'm told is an inferior product - maybe that's the issue some people are having?

• HU-350381242
    3 years ago

Apparently, they only perform well if they are glued down, which we would not have been able to do in our building as this is not allowed. My father has Parkinson's and needs a mobility pole, wheelchair and walker. These LVP are recommended for seniors in many blogs and articles. Our reno was to make a senior safe apartment with strong floors among other features. The company said we should not have installed the mobility pole because it doesn't let the floors float. We never imagined floors would behave this way...and we never had a choice of not installing the mobility pole, a prescribed medical device. It is the only way my father can get from bed without falling or be transferred to his wheelchair or walker.

• HU-350381242
    3 years ago

Lynn, what is a better product?

• Georgina Carlson
    3 years ago

has anyone installed Coretec Plus Premium Virtue Oak?

• toni1947
    3 years ago

We put smart core LVP in a basement bedroom, bathroom and hall. It looks great. We have placed area rugs under furniture so cannot comment on whether it is going to scratch or not.

• Brenda Hagel
    3 years ago

@HU-575249518 did you go with the Marsh Oak? We're looking at that. If so, how do you like it?

• HU-764347806
    3 years ago

Considering Coretec plus XL for whole house install. Has anyone installed Highland oak, Alexandria oak or Waddington oak?

• Stacie Havens
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We are looking at Smartcore xl southern pecan. Has anyone installed this and if so can you please show pictures?

• HU-764347806
    2 years ago

HU- 764347806 We are considering same 3 colors coretec plus xl for whole house install.

Have found coretec floor visualizer tool on website very helpful. Small sample of Alexandria oak looked dark but large sample looks medium tone. Leaning toward Waddington oak.

• sparks389
    2 years ago

Having Waddington Oak installed this weekend. I can submit a photo when it's done.

• HU-764347806
    2 years ago

Sparks389 Looking forward to seeing your photos! I think Waddington oak is our front runner for house install in June.

• sparks389
    2 years ago

I love the floors! Waddington oak is perfect for us. It is light enough for our darker space. The living room lights are on in this photo but the room can be pretty dark without lighting. The floor really looks like wood. I was concerned that our darker furniture would not look good but everything looks great.

• HU-764347806
    2 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing your install! Looks beautiful in your space! Are bevels very pronounced or do they just blend in?

• sparks389
    2 years ago

Here's a closer look near a window. I think the bevels are pretty apparent.

• HU-764347806
    2 years ago

Thank you! That pic really helped our decision.

• MelissA Buehler
    2 years ago

Has anyone installed coretec solstice cherry? Or have any sample comparisons for it? Would be greatly appreciated. There are so many options and they look completely different in every picture.

• James Cronk
    2 years ago

Regarding the above video, those floors are not apples to apples. The COREtec product has a WPC and the other one a SPC. COREtec also sells LVP with a SPC in their PRO line. That would be more of an apple to apples comparison. I'm not saying that the non-COREtec floor is a bad floor, just that it is not a good comparison. SPC floors are known to be more durable regardless of the brand. WPC floors are purchased by those who want a floor that is softer and warmer underfoot with more sound dampening.

• cldatl
    last year

Has anyone ever installed Hastings Walnut (Coretec Plus)?

• cnunn
    last year

I was wondering about their Advanced Plus line.

• kaoltman
    last year

I am having Advanced Plus Prescott Oak installed second week of January. I love the look and I am hoping no issues with it.

• HU-449423542
    last year

Does anyone have Coretec Dodwell oak installed? Would love to see pictures and know if the groves and ridges are causing the floor to be difficult to clean.

• April Covington
    9 months ago

The new 12mm line is delayed 2-3 months so I'm considering Hastings Walnut or Tyro Walnut. I'm not a fan of the substantial variation but really like the comfort of 9mm versus 7.5mm. Anyone have comments on a 7.5mm floor comfort, and also pictures of Hastings or Tyro?

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus