SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomegal

Entry Way Help Needed

newhomegal
9 years ago
Trying to get new ideas for the entryway. The left side has a granite top pass through to the butler's pantry. Right Side leads to the stairs. I love the door and floors, but just can't seem to get the table and artwork right. I have tried two chairs on either side of the table, but didn't like it either. Ideas please. This is a very long space.

Comments (65)

• anne dee
    9 years ago
    a larger hall table/cabinet and a large framed mirror.
    this would be in keeping with the budget.
    A hall table with drawers would be practical for holding keys/etc.+ a bottom shelf for extra storage
    inspiration pic
    Rustic Canyon New Home · More Info
    newhomegal thanked anne dee
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Substantial table with substantial base needed. I have one with drop leaves and a carved trestle base that is about 88" long. Something like it (almost dining table length) would work wonderfully there.
    newhomegal thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Related Discussions

Need help choosing entry way rug that blends with living/dining.

Q

Comments (27)
    I would suggest you use a rug that covers more of the foyer area...perhaps a tufted wool with and oriental pattern that sort of fits with architecture of your home...a smallish pattern with varied colors will hold up to entry traffic better than a solid...and at the same time a small runner can be purchased in the same color and pattern...I am not sure it needs to match the other rugs ...as the foyer seems big enough to be considered a separate room...with out pictures it is hard to be sure....but the foyer is the introduction to your home and sets the expectations for the rest of the house
    ...See More

Need help with lighting and decorating a tiny entry way!

Q

Comments (18)
    Looks good as is. Wouldn't clutter it up ... but you might consider small Tiffany style stained glass sun catchers (that attach to the small windows with suction cups) if you find some you particularly like. https://www.google.com/search?q=Tiffany+style+suncatchers&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiKg5u24eXoAhWnTN8KHSnCDkAQ_AUoAnoECAwQBA&biw=1366&bih=654 Suspect the space may be so narrow that framed art on the wall gets bumped. Measure carefully before deciding. Depending upon the pattern, wallpaper could end up just making a calm space just look "busy" without adding interest to the space. If you like nature scene murals, you might consider visually "enlarging" your space with one of those on the plain wall just before you go down the steps. https://www.google.com/search?q=murals+of+nature+paths&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwij672S4uXoAhUpnOAKHRnJBQQQ_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1366&bih=654
    ...See More

Need help with faux floral arrangement for entry way table

Q

Comments (40)
    Problem solved ! Since a lot of you sent pics With tall white flowers shallow flat vase , I went to a few stores today and imagine my surprise when I found this arrangement at a furniture consignment store!! Thank you everyone for all your help I love how we can get advice from each other
    ...See More

need help choosing style of entry way chandelier

Q

Comments (2)
    I HATE Edison bulbs in any fixture and honestly why light the ceiling in a staircase . Look for something you love that lights the whole space . I have no clue as to your style so you need to share that if you want some suggestions . I like this style of lighting in a staircase , it adds drama and allows lighting to light up the whole space as for color that needs to be decided with all your other lighting and accents. Make sure whatever you choose is all LED bulbs in 4000K to keep the hassle of changing bulbs to a min. and also keep all the colors you have already chosen to stay true. .
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    You have such a beautiful entryway - those floors are to die for! I agree the table is too small, whatever you get whether it be a table or a bench...it should be longer. A hall runner would look lovely as well, although those floors are such a gorgeous color I wouldn't hide them too much! ;) Maybe one large statement art piece as well instead of smaller ones.

I love your tall ceilings as well! We've made fixtures for big spaces like that.
    newhomegal thanked Shakuff
  • PRO
    G. M. Roth Design Remodeling, Inc.
    9 years ago
    A long narrow runner and some greenery would look great in that space! Something like this...
    newhomegal thanked G. M. Roth Design Remodeling, Inc.
  • PRO
    Lowes West Chester
    9 years ago
    I would suggest the table be wider and longer. The scale is off at the moment so that is why it is not working with the art and or adding chairs to either side. center the table on the catwalk add a semi flush light there at the catwalk add a 30" wide runner the length of the space and add larger art work on the wall. Dont use that table as your scale marker, Use the actual space to scale out everything else that will go there. I hope this helps I didnt read the other comments but I am sure I maybe repeating others.
    newhomegal thanked Lowes West Chester
  • PRO
    Margaret Stephenson Interior Design
    9 years ago
    You could paint the end wall a slightly darker shade of white. This would bring it forward visually. And, in fact, I would be tempted to paint the wall under the staircase a very soft pastel, perhaps a soft green, blue, or apricot, or, if you want to stick with white, a very soft beige. Any of these would then look very good behind your bench, long table, or small side chairs that others have suggested. A 7-foot wide hallway is quite a generous space, so you have something to work with there, and a beautiful floor. You could put a runner down it, but I would advise avoiding stripes, as this would make it look more like a hallway and less like a room, which I think is the concept you should aim for. If you change the color of that wall under the staircase, by the way, keep the baseboards and other trim white. I assume there is a corridor coming in from the left side of this hallway at a right angle. If that is so, then you might hang a mirror over your small table facing that, and placing that as a side table to your bench, then some (I think, larger) picture or pictures over the bench. And a plant somewhere is a good idea.
    newhomegal thanked Margaret Stephenson Interior Design
  • tlchancellor
    9 years ago
    I agree with a lot of what was said here...the front door does seem small and drab compared with the rest of your home from what I can see. If you can spare the extra money, replace and widen the door to give it the grandeur everything else seems to have. one thing you need here is more light and a focal point as you enter and leave. The table here is from Restoration Hardware $715, looks textural, has some bulk without over doing it and has character like a family piece that's been restored...not leggy or small. The mirror is from Pottery Barn, (believe it was near $300 or less) mixes up the lines, adds reflective light and focus, practical too for quick glances before you leave and brings height to break up long wall. Use two of these lamps (Pottery Barn), fill with shells, driftwood, or stones to bring in natural element and play against the elegance of the lamps lines and materials. The slight bulk of the lamps will bring your eyes up more and seem more grounded than the one small thin lamp you have now. Move all of this much closer to your stair landing, about center of that wall. As you can afford it, add area rug just to this central area to again break up the space and bring focus to this special entry space. Perhaps add an slim upholstered chair near the stair landing point in towards this space or a storage ottoman to either side of the table. If the wall still screams for more art, which it probably will, consider two pieces hung on each side one over the other. These can be four related works, family pics, or simply similar colored frames...they don't even need to be the same size. This is a great space and thanks to the other pics I could tell it wasn't nearly as long as I first thought but still plenty of room to play. Enjoy, it takes time but you will get there.
    newhomegal thanked tlchancellor
  • tlchancellor
    9 years ago
    One last thing I forgot, if you can't replace your front door, consider trimming it out more with grander molding, it will make it look larger in the overall space.
    newhomegal thanked tlchancellor
  • rustyand
    9 years ago
    Don't forget lighting on long table,and some round artwork or a mirror on the walls.
    newhomegal thanked rustyand
  • lsemartha
    9 years ago
    A ceiling light appropriate to the style of the house just in front of the doorway would help, paint in a cooler, lighter shade (soft, warm gray perhaps) with white trim, as long a console table as you can find to replace too small table (preferably with a few small drawers across the top to assign to family members for keys, phones etc), tall and large substantial mirror above the left side of console with a glass lamp in front of left side of mirror (see photo 2 comments above), with a tall simple white orchid to the right of the mirror to balance out the arrangement. Not a fan of being able to see into butler's pantry. Would look into having a custom pair of shutters made to close that off visually.
    newhomegal thanked lsemartha
  • uberv
    9 years ago
    Something custom and not too expensive from etsy with a live edge would work well with the hand scraped floor.
    newhomegal thanked uberv
  • Anne Carlson
    9 years ago
    let the tiny things go; tiny plants, lamps, wall art, etc, and have huge artwork, long table or long bench, long rug down hall, an eye-catching color theme, make a big statement, make the design have function
    newhomegal thanked Anne Carlson
  • PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    9 years ago
    The reason you don't like the artwork above your table is because it is placed too far apart and it is hung at an angle that different than the angle of your staircase. They look too random, and your eye immediately doesn't like the competing angles when you view it from down the hallway.

You'll like the artwork much better if it is centered over the table, level horizontally, spaced evenly 1-3 inches apart, hung 18-20" above the top of the table. I would also recommend getting more substantial frames. The thin frames the art is in now gets lost, so the art almost looks unframed, which isn't formal enough for the table. If you had four pieces of art instead of three, I'd recommend hanging them in a grid, which would be more appealing.

As far as chairs go, I would not use two chairs. Get one nicely upholstered chair to put on the right side of the table. Don't put the chair right up against the wall, angle it way from the wall in towards the table to make it more welcoming. Move the table lamp to the right side of the table. The shade will block the art a little, but that's okay. It adds depth, which adds interest. Your house isn't an art museum, so the art doesn't have to be completely visible.

I attached a picture with a few of my ideas. It doesn't include all my ideas.
    newhomegal thanked Loribeth Clark
  • lyonsrita
    9 years ago
    Wow! nice space! I liked Rhonda B's 'entrance-mudroom idea, but if you want a more casual look, here's an similar idea....multicolor braided or 'farmhouse-type' runner. X-large family picture on staircase wall, surrounded with smaller family pictures, framed kids drawings or signage (family, home, love etc.) Longer, more substantial bench with basket cubbies underneath for mittens/sports equipment/ dog leash, whatever. Can't see depth of corner of far wall but maybe a narrow corner cabinet there? You have a beautiful home from what is shown, hope I could help a little! :)
    newhomegal thanked lyonsrita
  • PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I wanted to add... If you are not in love with those three art pieces you current have on the wall, then get rid of them and go with one large piece of art... or even two large pieces. Here's a picture from my house that shows what I mean about large art pieces. It's an older picture, because I now have a lamp on the table, and there isn't all the stuff under the table. But I wanted you to see how large art can make a huge difference.
  • neoklis
    9 years ago
    Why not have a nice big illustrious mirror above that table and leave the art for a different corner?
    newhomegal thanked neoklis
  • Design2 girl
    9 years ago
    Yikes, Lyonsrita, I certainly didn't mean a mudroom type entrance at the front door! Sorry, if that's what an antique bench sounds like with a lovely oriental runner! I was just looking at the picture and it appears that she already has a pass-through ledge in this same hallway, and a bench or seating area might be a change from a tabletop surface which kind of repeats the pass through. Artwork and mirrors are all great ideas, especially the specifics on how to hang the art. The blend of ideas and thoughts are what make Houzz so great, have fun, newhomegal!
    newhomegal thanked Design2 girl
  • newhomegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thank you all. This entrance is not used on a daily basis by the family. We come in through a 3rd car garage door, so I really don't need a key, back pack, etc catcher. I have been on the hunt for some tables and art work that could work for the space. this is what I have been leaning towards. Adding in some different lighting too. unfortunately budget is limiting me. I really do appreciate all your ideas. The door is really large and heavy but hard to tell in these photos as the iphone makes it look small. It is an 8 ft door. The French doors on either side are also 8ft. My dog already piles up the rug when the front door rings, so a runner would be even more of a mess. My style is coastal with a touch of traditional and modern mixed.
  • PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    9 years ago
    I love the art piece you just posted. I think that would look wonderful in the space. The lighter wood table would give it a less formal feel, and more of the coastal look you like. Since you don't use that entrance very often, you could get a wider table and slide it down more, possibly center it between the doorway and the foot of the stairs. I thought you used the table for collecting keys, etc., so I didn't suggest that before.
  • onthecoast1
    9 years ago
    Because you have so much wall space, I would avoid the long tables that are open on the bottom. I would get a buffet cabinet that has cabinet doors on the bottom because you need something weighty along the floor in that long space, especially since you have no wainscoting or anything decorating the wall itself. You need to get the longest buffet you can find -- I found one 6 feet long on Craigslist for $120. (I paid $100 for it). I would put 2 matching lamps on the buffet with larger shades on them than the shade you have in your picture. Then find one large mirror or piece of artwork to hang above the buffet. If the other end of the area looks bad empty, I would get a bench to put there, centering it between the end of your long buffet cabinet and your bottom stair. You could do a small gallery wall type arrangement above the bench that could angle down with the angle of the wall. It is a beautiful entryway! I'd start looking on Craigslist for a huge buffet. Good luck!
    newhomegal thanked onthecoast1
  • PRO
    Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
    9 years ago
    I love Judy's bench idea. It's both sytlish and functional though the tables that robinglazier posted look absolutely stunning, all of them!
    newhomegal thanked Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
  • janofbagend
    9 years ago
    I'm an architect so put up with me! The hall is too long and narrow. It needs an architectural solution. It should have a wall with a large open doorway to visually divide the room into two spaces. The first space could be an entry with no furniture, just some art. The second space would be a very attractive with a bench or a table. If the space itself is awkward it is very hard to make it look good. Walls are really inexpensive.
    newhomegal thanked janofbagend
  • newhomegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What is a Margart?
  • bluenan
    9 years ago
    Darn Chinese translator.....lol!
  • granny4ten
    9 years ago
    Hall runners look cheap and cheezy.
  • dempsey2012
    9 years ago
    I believe in combining practical and decorative. Remember, this is a front entrance. Yes, a longer, more rustic table to complement your beautiful floors. Lighting to brighten the area, Chinese elements that come from the more rustic side of that theme and a statement mirror along with groupings of art and finally a slim runner to warm up the space and pull your colours together. These elements will be practical: space for your keys, gloves, etc; a mirror for a quick look at yourself or for guests to check themselves after taking off coats, hats, etc.. It will also give you more space to display seasonal decor and have a large vase for added colour and natural elements. Loved the picture with the console that had the carved wooden animal under it. An open wooden chair for people to remove boots that has an Oriental rustic theme would also be a good addition. I like your door but I do think the colour of your walls is rather bland and does not enhance your fabulous floors. I think you could add more drama to your entrance with a bolder colour pulled from the runner you choose. As for cost, the Craigslist or Kijiji suggestion is good, especially if you are willing to refinish the piece to suit your theme.
    I think you have a great canvas to work with.
  • basque64
    9 years ago
    IF budget permits, I would also take a "loft" across where the floor curves at top and join the bridge to the wall also remove the 3 stairs. It would look less cut up and give you a great sitting room "biblioteque" I would also mirror the stairwall to make it look wide open and put in recessed spotlights that highlight your artwork.
  • roshange
    9 years ago
    First thing I thought of was paint. Looks like everything is white at the moment. Chose two colors that are close to each other but not the same - perhaps two shades of the same color--and decide which goes where (include the ceilings and stairs) to emphasize the architectural interest that is already there. I like the bench and runner idea as well and think all could be coordinated somehow. Throw in a couple 3 dimensional items of beauty that sit on the flooor at differing heights--add interesting sconces on the stair wall or flanking the pass through.
  • grandmariver
    9 years ago
    Install a series of light tubes in the hallway ceiling (I see natural light up there) to illuminate the dark hall. Take advantage of the area under the stairs and cut in a few shelves and put in a cohesive collection of your choosing. Across from the shelves. a long skinny bench, or an unusual, colorful material hanging.
  • PRO
    Interiors Unleashed
    9 years ago
    You already have great architectural interest. I agree with many here, proportion and scale is important. You don't need much in your entry hall, but it should be larger than what you have. You might consider visual separation of the front door area vs the rest of the hallway by using a rug, such as has been suggested. You could put another rug in the back section and use it to ground your table/lamps/ wall art/bench….. There are already great ideas here. Gorgeous space to work with, enjoy and experiment a little.
  • Dani
    9 years ago
    runner and longer more substantial console table with gallery wall, art, mirror, lamp or whatever you like over it
  • matilda67
    9 years ago
    By all means add a runner, don't know how long the hall is but 2 runners may be call for rather than just the one. Love the fact that the hall is wide. We did something similar when custom building our home. A real bonus when having elderly parents in the home, as are wider interior doors.
  • PRO
    Art Consulting Services
    9 years ago
    Interesting space. We have dogs too, and they love to scrunch up rugs also. Your floor is beautiful, so I would spend the money on art, not a rug. It seems like the real problem is that you have a long thin space, probably too narrow to accommodate a traditional hall table. You were right in saying that the one you have placed there in the photos is too small, but the main problem is that your front door is where you welcome guests, and any table there blocks a friendly greeting place. Another intrusion into the narrow space seems to be that counter that sticks out into the hall from the butler's pantry. Do you use it? It looks like you've placed some decorative objects there as a way of using it. Perhaps it would be better to get rid of it. I would recommend hanging a mirror over the opening and slicing off the protrusion into the hall. If you have a big party and want to use that access to the butler's pantry, you could just remove the mirror for the evening. I would love to see the light, narrow table you included in one of your reports placed on the stairwell side down near the end of the stairs because the last step sticks our into the hall space anyway, with a lamp that would reflect in the mirror opposite. Just one or two objects on the table instead of lots of little ones would be best. And I would hang a series of prints with simple imagery. Yours are too detailed for the space. Here are some suggestions within your budget:
    http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/1937, http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/1938, and http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/1939, hung as a series of three on one wall, if there is room, or the two smaller ones on one side and the larger one on the other side. If you only have room for one, here are two ideas, both within your budget:
    http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/1956
    http://www.artconsultingonline.com/artworks/1147
  • PRO
    Art Consulting Services
    9 years ago
    Oops. I forgot to say that when you hang several works of art in a room, you need to hang them at the same height. 60 inches from the center of each work of art to the floor is usually the best. It helps hold the space together. Have fun and good luck. Your hallway has great potential.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    9 years ago
    I think those walls can handle very large artwork. Check out my artwork for ideas. I have many large canvas prints that might look good there.

Available work here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

Currently running a 15% off sale plus free shipping of canvas prints to US.

I think your current setup is too small in scale, both the table and the artwork, as others have mentioned.

Enjoy decorating!
  • judiy
    9 years ago
    You might try a narrow table made with old wood in your chosen width, and placed on 2 corbels, or try glass on the old corbels. You can find the large corbels at a salvage company. I agree that a rug is needed.
  • ckmax
    9 years ago
    I would put a runner down the hall with a bold geometric print. Maybe a navy and white chevron stripe or something. I would also move the table down so it is anchoring the artwork a little more. It may be too small for the space, and you may need to add some more art, like a collage arrangement.
    newhomegal thanked ckmax
  • PRO
    Ferris Zoe Design
    9 years ago
    a picture is worth a thousand words. here is a composite i created for you. lots of the comments here on your entry are good. the most important thing is to make it a welcoming & important part of your home (like curb appeal). i do not know what existing accessories & furnishings, art, etc. you have, so these ideas would have to be adjusted to your personalities, color preferences, etc. bottom line, it has to be brightened up. i don't know why there's a pass through to a butler's pantry. it seems like someone had a thought about it, but i don't see a reason for it being there, and especially with a shelf impeding space into the entry. if you add a mirror as suggested by someone, then be sure it is reflecting back what you want to see....definitely not a view into the "butler's pantry." light it up, lots. brighten it up, lots. create interesting objects and art to set the stage with your personal welcoming message to your guests, even if your guests are your family.
    newhomegal thanked Ferris Zoe Design
  • PRO
    Hometahn Photos
    9 years ago
    I agree with the comments that you could part a few large pieces of artwork on your walls. When buying a framed piece, numbers sound big at the time, but you usually need something larger than what you think to really look good on your walls (16x20 for example, is on the smaller side for a blank wall). Put some nice large photos of your family up there-perfect space for it! Otherwise (or and), you could really change things up there with a nice, bold color-wouldn't have to be crazy, but you have a lot of neutrals there, which look kind of bland since there's there not much else going on in that space. Keep the white trim and it will look great! (and if you did get framed photos, you could have white frames to go with the trim that would really pull things together) Good luck!
  • basque64
    9 years ago
    I had forgotten about the opening to the butler's pantry and agree with Ferris, cover it up and put in a wow piece of artwork. I would also put in a sisal runner, too "stiff" for dogs to scrunch and dogs can learn quickly. I would still mirror it and creat a light, welcoming entryway.
    newhomegal thanked basque64
  • rustyand
    9 years ago
    very nice.
    newhomegal thanked rustyand
  • trm14yo2013
    9 years ago
    You might try adding more decorations
    newhomegal thanked trm14yo2013
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- No console or table or pass through . On the stair wall , I would have a big fancy framed standing floor mirror closest to the front door . Then a very long wood garden bench . Place a table lamp on the end or each end (can sit on some books )of the bench instead of using a table . Maybe a basket or two under and a throw draped casually. Hang some Art behind (not stepped)like two framed prints or a big painting . On the other side , either cover over the opening and have a another painting or a décor piece there. Or have closed wood shutters put on. A nice runner rug . Add a more prominent casing /molding around the front door to make it look more important .
  • herladyship92
    9 years ago
    I agree with others have done, a long carpet runner in a vibrant colour and a re-paint of the space with some clustered artwork on the walls. And either a long bench or a church pew? We were able to get an old church pew for a song - and you could paint it any colour...
  • sandmitch
    9 years ago
    I would put a mirror over table
  • newhomegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Follow up. Thank you all for your suggestions. A shopping trip to home goods and we are all set. Long runner. Long bench bigger art work mirror check.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I just found this. When you can, I would go in the same direction, only bigger. Bigger, longer rug and more substantial bench (church pew!). Everything takes time.

Just noticed a post above suggested a church pew!
    Fairy Lake Home · More Info

Antique Church Pew · More Info
  • charryj
    9 years ago
    The items you have are lost in the space. I don't like the pass through. I think the suggestion of a bench and much larger rug larger art. Lighting is important so maybe a large table , two lamps, mirror or picture. Please stay away from a lot of little items. Your space calls for large.
  • Design2 girl
    9 years ago
    The artwork is nice, and adds some nice color. I think the bench needs to be more substantial, with a back or try a longer console table to anchor the art, similar to the very first picture you found. I like the design of the rug, but, again, it should be wider & longer for the space.
  • mcr1288
    9 years ago
    change the front door to allow more light, longer and wider runner, longer hall table, decorate with a lamp, books, etc.