SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ldbailyn

Ugliest curb appeal ever... ideas please!

ldbailyn
13 days ago

We are considering purchasing a single story home that lacks curb appeal. The rear is waterfront, so we would love to transform the concrete wall and flat roof to a key west or cape cod style, perhaps with fake windows, siding and lots of landscaping. Or if modern makes the most sense, at least warm it up! I have no design sense, so your ideas for this literal "blank slate" would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (33)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    13 days ago

You would need to provide us with views of all sides and even then we can only give you rough ideas, building onto the roof means architect…

ldbailyn thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • ldbailyn
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you for your comment! Unfortunately we can't build up on the roof we're just interested in modifying the front appeal for now with siding, plants, shutters/fake windows, etc., and then we would carry the design elements over to the rest.

• Related Discussions

Looking for some curb appeal, please help with design ideas

Q

Comments (7)
    Dig Doug's Designs - Thank you for the above. unfortunately I can't have the left side come that forward. To the left is my driveway and we need access in and out of the passenger's side.
    ...See More

Ugliest house EVER! Need help with curb appeal

Q

Comments (5)
    Painting the brick is not the answer, painting the trim, the garage, adding landscape and a porch is an answer. The brick is less than half of the house facade so start with pressure washing it and painting the garage to match the siding. You have no curb appeal because there is nothing to look at or soften the edges. hire a landscape company to fix you up. Also what is up with the tiny fence? the scale is bad there too.
    ...See More

Help Please! Curb Appeal and Landscape Ideas Needed

Q

Comments (3)
    I knew they'd chime in...listen to them, they're golden!
    ...See More

Need Curb Appeal Ideas please!

Q

Comments (18)
    For what it is worth I think your house is quite nice as is and that your choice of a new door color is lovely. I do think you need a path to the front door. If I didn’t mind spending the money (and if it fit in with the neighborhood), I would probably create a rather large square “landing” with some kind of informal stone work, and drift a path in the direction of your garage. If that’s too expensive, I think you can drift a path up to your front steps with random flat stones, one that isn’t as wide as your steps, and soften the edges with plantings. Were it my house I would put flower baskets all along the railings. I think there are some pretty plants you can have in there that deer won’t stand on their hind legs to eat. When I lived in a snowy climate with plenty of deer around they didn’t eat my foundation plants which were flowering laurel and hydrangea. I also had forsythia, Japanese maple, shad bush and a climbing rose they left alone.
    ...See More
  • Yvonne Martin
    13 days ago

We need photographs. All you have provided is a box with no doors or only a couple of possible windows.

• Kendrah
    13 days ago

First determine your budget as this will be a massive undertaking. I wouldn't make faux windows or faux anything else. This is a modern beast that you need to soften with some textures and colors, but you shouldn't try to make it look like the house that it is not. You'll just end up with something that feels like Disneyland.

Between lighting, planting, vertical plant cable trellis', trees, and house numbers, I think you can do a lot of tame the brutalist effect of this home. What part of the country / climate is this located in? Knowing what plants and trees will thrive here will help a lot.

You will surely need to hire an architect and maybe landscape design firm. But, it does make sense to hone your vision here first so you can better know what kind of architect you are looking to approach.

I'd go for a right row of Italian Cypress if your climate is right. Then on the short right wall, I'd cover with redwood colored slats. Get some huge interestings sconces on either side of the opening so it reads entry way.

ldbailyn thanked Kendrah
  • Cara Fidler
    13 days ago

I would plant some colorful azalea bushes there and elsewhere. Here are some pics below from Pinterest.

ldbailyn thanked Cara Fidler
  • K Laurence
    13 days ago

Better pictures needed. A big NO to fake windows,shutters, etc. From what I can see it appears somewhat similar to my MCM home but mine is much wider. We went with modern architectural plants, exterior lighting & hardscape. I think it would be wise to enlist the help of a designer or landscape designer to help. Lean into it’s modern style, i wouldn’t try to fight it.

ldbailyn thanked K Laurence
  • kandrewspa
    13 days ago

Unless you do significant remodeling, this will never be Key West or Cape Cod style. As K Laurence said, it's modern, go with it. If you really want a different style, purchase a different home. I realize in this market people frequently have to compromise, but maybe it's just not the right home for you. Unless the interior and location are exactly what you are looking for, then your compromise is the exterior style, which you could improve with landscaping.

ldbailyn thanked kandrewspa
  • millworkman
    13 days ago

" we're just interested in modifying the front appeal for now with siding, plants, shutters/fake windows, etc., "

To help with the front of house appeal we need to see the front of the house.

• Sigrid
    12 days ago

You don't have any windows, so you need plants. If you don't have enough room for trees, I'd do vines, preferably flowering. Check when they flower, so you can get a mix of flowering times. Or, you can do an espaliered tree.

ldbailyn thanked Sigrid
  • acm
    12 days ago

Guys, this IS the front of the house! The slot leads to a courtyard, but the rest is the wall of the house that faces the street, and has no windows or other engagement with said street. All the usual "stuff" is in courtyard or back.

I think you just put interesting landscaping along the main wall, and then a mix of lights and house number to make clear what's what. I like Kendrah's idea of slats on the right, but I'm not sure how realistic that is over a cement wall.

Here's a mockup. I went with a trellis rather than cyprus or something more modern.

ldbailyn thanked acm
  • PRO
    RappArchitecture
    11 days ago

A hard no to anything faux. An even harder no to trying to make it into a key west or cape cod style. A strong yes to landscaping. But my question is, what's behind the wall? Why not real windows? Or if the house wall is further back, then why not an opening showing what's behind?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

You want us to give you ideas just from this photograph?? no.

we need context. we need to see a real photos (not google image) of the actual home and the surrounding yard.

absolutely NO shutters or fake anything.

maybe do the side wall w/a planter like this, add some windows

Until we can see what this house actually looks like, no one can give you adequate help.

better off going w/a modern spanish style

this would be nice where you walkway is

• Iris Graeber
    11 days ago

Why not put in real windows? It would drive me nuts not to be able to look out the window at the street in front of my house. I can't imagine what they were thinking to not have windows there.

• K Laurence
    11 days ago

@Iris G … since the house is waterfront who needs windows to look out to the street ???. My MCM , very modern home has no windows on the front, however, there is glass everywhere else looking onto beautiful views $ landscaping. My favorite feature about our house. It’s style is seen often in our MCM neighborhood.

• ldbailyn
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Wow, thank you all so much for the ideas! Yes, this is the front of the narrow house, with no windows. The rear is all glass facing the water. I agree that we should just go with the modern style, and I should give up on transforming it to something it's not. Maybe add some wood elements (I like that idea) along with lots of landscaping. We're going back tomorrow and I'll take some real photos rather than the listing photos I provided. Thank you!

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    11 days ago

Stand in the street and take a picture of your house. Be sure to get the whole view of the front of the house PLUS a bit of what’s beside the house and driveway and garage and sidewalk (if any). So we can see a bit of the yard, how wide your property is, how close neighboring structures are, etc Like this.

No faux windows, shutters, etc

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    11 days ago

Can't really make any suggestion without photos that clearly show what it looks like.

• housegal200
    11 days ago

No faux windows, shutters. Put the budget you have for that into hiring a garden designer to create a garden bed of dramatic plants and shrubs that grow well in your zone--grasses, tall shrubs. I like the pergola and garden gate and numerals in oklbujp's rendering but not shutters. Just no on that. This isn't your house, but notice how foreground beds add texture, color, and interest against the blank wall on the right and walkway pulls the eye to entryway.

Coffman Studio · More Info

• housegal200
    11 days ago

This answer appeared on Houzz many years ago. Whoever commented pointed out that plants next to masonry can really heat up, so having a natural barrier to plant against gives the plants a better chance. Maybe a very tall, wide,wood "trellis" like the one shown would add natural interest to your cement wall and function as a backdrop to appropriate plantings.

Old Houzz link: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5077246/my-windowless-brick-wall-house-needs-curb-appeal-help

First thing, I would remove the metal decorative element from the front porch. Replace the light fixture as well. Next, to address your large brick wall, I would place a horizontal wood trellis on the right hand side of the brick wall (approx. 1/3 of the facade lengthwise, with some height).

• acm
    10 days ago

uh, housegal, what house are YOU looking at? there's no brick, no metalwork, just cement!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 days ago

It is what it is and trying to add fakery to change that would look awful imo. I think kendrah has come up with the best solution. " I'd go for a ... row of Italian Cypress if your climate is right. Then on the short right wall, I'd cover with redwood colored slats. Get some huge interestings sconces on either side of the opening so it reads entry way. "

Given that the current plants are drought tolerant succulents I think that the climate is right for the cypresses. And there's no way the above suggesterd azaleas would be happy there.

• housegal200
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

@acm: As I mentioned, I included in my posting an old Houzz Dilemma where someone had a brick wall, a trellis, and other stuff to break up the wall, but the owner wanted a better solution. I just went back and boldfaced the reference and put it in italics. Same problem, but a different house.

One thing mentioned in that Dilemma is that plants and shrubs shouldn't go right up against a wall since it will get hot, won't give the plantings enough room to spread out, etc. Honestly, a tall, modern wood trellis like that slated one shown in that Dilemma (not yours) would be a great way to go and probably not hugely expensive. It would protect whatever plantings you put in front of it.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 days ago

Sorry how can anyone help with no idea about how the house looks.. Qhy do all of you even try . We have no clue as to the actual house so if the OP wants help we need pictures of the whole house

• floraluk2
    10 days ago

I don't believe there's anything else to see. It's the blank street facade of a rectangular house. No yard. And the other side facing the water isn't relevant to the question. It reminds me a lot of the blank walls of Mediterranean farm houses, designed to keep the sun out. Hence the cypress idea.

• Jennz9b
    10 days ago

please dont do fake windows….

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    10 days ago

Agree with floraluk2, disagree with PCC. Pictures of the rest of the house won't help answer the dilemma. But I'm still waiting for the OP to answer my question about why real windows can't be installed.

• Denise Marchand
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Your front exterior is like a blank slate. Consider the following:

1) Frame the elevation and extend the front entrance by framing around the entrance.

2) Nothing needs to be built, Just the frame. Have the TOP of the frame at the entrance wider than the others. Paint the frame white. (see first pic)

3) Add a finish around the entrance only, like cedar planks, walnut or even layered flagstone, depending where you are located.

4) Paint the main large area dark grey. If you want to upgrade, face that area with slate or soapstone.

5) To accentuate the entrance, add an iron gate on a pivot hinge to swing easily.

6) Add a large colorful urn.

7) Add a line of concrete or bluestone pavers at front edge of existing planting area, and light gravel around and behind pavers.

8) Add simple plantings, lake decorative grass and a climber on the grey wall. (see last pic)

Below are the pics I used for inspiration when I looked at your post, and very close to the finished proposal.

The trick is to keep it simple and highlight the entry.

^ ^ ^ ^ Here's a sketch. Was fun to do!

• Roger Gleason
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

stucco it, paint it a pastel coastal color, be done with it. If you want to get fancy, outline a rectangular insert with tile, brick, etc on center.

On a waterfront home, the side facing the water is the "front" of the house

• houssaon
    9 days ago

I absolutly love Denise Marchand 's first sketch. It is a perfect solution.

• Kendrah
    9 days ago

Denise is really on to something here. And, her sketch could be easily changed to accommodate your person aesthetic simply by changing the gate and urn color and style.

If you live somewhere with seasons, I'd make all of your plantings evergreen so the design doesn't make your house naked in the cold months.

• floraluk2
    9 days ago

Given the giant Agave next to the gate I don't think cold months will be much of a problem.

• Denise Marchand
    8 days ago

Bringing it to Key West