SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosecanadian

Leap into Spring with Us - Seasonal Thread

rosecanadian
last month
last modified: last month

Some of us have lept quite far into spring and are nearing very close to summer, while others are newly enjoying flowers and warmth....and then there are some of us who still have snow. lol Whatever the case, we're here together filled with hope and friendship.

Comments (830)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 days ago

Adobe Sunrise

Brigadoon

Radiant Perfume

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
    2 days ago

Kristine those are gorgeous!

rosecanadian thanked Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
  • Related Discussions

SPRING is here... Seasonal thread part 2

Q

Comments (239)
    Lilyfinch, I saw your cute bubble pics on IG. Lucia is filled with such joy. She and Henry are delightful. Lisa, you had me laughing at your dwarf SdlM. Goes perfectly with my non-blooming variety. But, your poppies! Wow! Now, that's a poppy! How long do Baby Blue Eyes bloom? Had to look up Bubble Bath. How have I never heard of that one?! HalloBlondie, I'm going to suggest he just add on to the small barn, which is more of a big shed. It houses his ATV, snowblower, lawnmower, wagon trailer and junk. We have just under 6 acres, but the out buildings are all clumped together near the house. Not the best look. Altorama, I'm torn between pampering my Edens and neglecting the heck out of them. Maybe I should send them to you for a few years, then you send them back to me once they get the hang of it. Sultry, the answer to your question is - not a clue. He asked me to find some barn pics to show the builder. He said I should choose because he wants me to like it. Can't be too upset with that! Lily, you'll soon be growing things you couldn't before and your growing season will be almost year round. Only a couple hours away is Roger's Gardens in Newport Beach. You'll love all the garden bling in addition to the huge plant nursery. Festival of the Arts in Laguna Beach is fun and Pageant of the Masters is incredible. There are the missions all up and down the coast. San Juan Capistrano was a favorite. If you like Mexican food, you will find that it is so much more authentic than Mexican food in the midwest. You'll love the jacaranda trees, camellias, gardenias and being able to grow your own citrus. I'd grow citrus for the scent alone. The fruit is just a bonus! Plants that were annuals in TN will be perennials in CA. You can visit Grace Rose Farm for a day trip. Sounds like they're gearing up for visitors, big time. The entire Santa Ynez area is worth staying a day or two and visiting Solvang, and a little further up the coast is Carmel and Monterey, wonderful get-a-way spots. At least, they used to be. A stop in Santa Barbara is a must. And, if you like antiquing, Summerland, just outside Santa Barbara was always a must. Not sure if it still is. Deborah would know. These places are not especially close to San Diego, but more like day or weekend trips. And, I am positively green with envy you will get to visit Lisa and Ingrid.
    ...See More

SPRING is here... Seasonal thread part 6

Q

Comments (147)
    Kelly, the peony company may become more reputable if they keep selling gorgeous peonies like that one. I am crazy about tree peonies, but most of mine reverted back to species large, single white petals. I think I had them planted too shallow like herbaceous peonies. I've never seen one quite the color of yours. The yellow stamens really set it off. I don't have Cherry Frost, but have heard good things about it. I know how it is, hoping for a climber to at least get a few feet tall. I'm in the house instead of outside because we're having another wind storm. Every time it looks calm and I change shoes and pull my gloves on, it starts up again. Those pine cones are murder when they fall on your head from up so high. I need a gardening helmet.
    ...See More

SPRING is here... Seasonal thread part 7

Q

Comments (210)
    Oh, what a long day, and I still haven't had a decent dinner. I deadheaded til the sweat ran down my face, hand watered a bunch of stuff, and sprayed every rose in my garden with deer repellent. To top it off, Jemma and I found over 200 more pics on a second file in my memory card, so we now have organized, filed, cropped, etc, over 700 photos! Jemma will be taking my camera away from me. I plead temporary insanity. All those days I didn't post, I was taking photos--ha. And you thought I was working in my garden. Pippa, I've always wanted to grow Gruss, and your photo reminds me why. She's such a lovely rose. I love the linaria. I've become interested in wispy delicate plants to weave amongst the roses. I've been trying out anchusa for the past year or two. Thank you, Flowers. Love Song is a favorite of mine, so I guess that's why I have two of them. Yes, from now on Jim is Sir James, OBE. Sorry, Jim. Kristine, I'm glad you're getting some help because your day sounds like mine--only I don't have a baby to care for. I can't imagine how exhausting it must be, but you still grow lots of lovely roses and other plants. Did you grow delphinium this year? Deadheading is my biggest job right now, too, so I can sympathize. It gets me that we work so hard all year so the roses can bloom a while, only to have all those luscious blooms dry up and die. What a waste of beauty, it seems like. Thanks, Blondie. What a shame that some Canadian roses don't take the cold well. Your Morden Sunrise may be small, but it's quite cute, plus nice and thick. It will be lovely all covered in blooms, so be sure to post a photo. I guess MS does better in zone 7 and above--ha. I'm interested in baptisia, so would love to see more photos of Sparkling Sapphires. It should be a stunning plant in full bloom. Love the solar egg. Now I will show you our Finn on a Bike whirligig. Diane
    ...See More

SPRING is here... Seasonal thread part 8

Q

Comments (155)
    Ikaye, I am so sorry to read about all your rain and flood warnings. All this rain has serious national repercussions, too. There is a massive die off of crab, shrimp, oysters, and other yummy stuff that live in the salty waters of Louisiana and Mississippi lower swampy areas. The water is being diluted by fresh water pouring out of the Mississippi into the salty water where the seafood live. They die if there isn't a certain amount of salt in the water. Now, back to gardening--the gazebo is my good friend and gardening mentor's. She gardens several acres--by herself. We are both 73 and still do it all except the grass. Those photos were at her place June 5. My garden and yard are small, and I don't have room for a big gazebo. What I really want is a little cottage/garden retreat, sitting amongst the roses. That's not going to happen, sadly. I hope your rain finally stops. And no floods! Blondie, what a beautiful Carding Mills. I love the colors and bloom structure. Any more roses blooming for you? I'm glad you got those new Austin roses, but thought of my not lamented PAoK that I dug out a few years back. She was a monster garden thug, and when the summer heated up, started producing little bright coral blooms with a few petals. I've never seen anything like it. I think you are in the right climate for PAoK. Your winters will keep her in check, and your milder summers won't the coral epidemic.
    ...See More
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 days ago

Diane, the deer are so frustrating!!!!! So sorry!

rosecanadian thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • berrypiez6b
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

Kristine - amazing photos, such rich color !

You are a generous soul. I would have called that nursery and tried every bribe I could think of to have them put a hold on Rouge Royale.

After calling around I found one nursery North of me that has Bring Me Sunshine . Amara made sure she stays number one by running up a big Vet bill that will take all garden season to pay off. Her pseudo pregnancy and allergies may subside after all the roses are out of stock.

While Doug and Amara got a peaceful evening nap ( it's hard to tell their snoring apart ) I stewed about the garden raiders. Unable to sleep I got up to pull the seed tray in for the night when a robin busy digging for worms gave me the answer ; I have achieved what I set out to do a decade ago. My plan to cultivate a no spray, nature friendly organic garden has resulted in attracting every creature capable of tearing up and devouring my seeds and plants . Mission accomplished.

rosecanadian thanked berrypiez6b
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 days ago

Berry, robins mostly scratch for insects and worms. I watch them all the time, but maybe they go for seeds, too. Someone enlighten me. So it's possible the robin is innocent. The funniest thing to watch is a robin with a big worm hanging out of its mouth as it continues hunting for more worms. I supposed the flopping mouth worm is for the kiddies. I surely hope you solve your pest problems.

Thanks everyone of you for your support and commiseration on the deer problem. Sadly, I don't like venison. My evening was full of more frustration. First the wind wouldn't die down, but finally at nine o'clock it was calm enough to spray. My favorite sprayer was totally plugged up. So I tried my stand bye sprayer. It worked for a while and then plugged up. So I never got all the roses sprayed and the sprayers are soaking. I noticed as I sprayed that Augusta Luise had a lot of bullnose buds and blooms. Lovely. My prime Prima Donna is going to be replaced by Ashley if she doesn't straighten up. No 2, Evelyn, does not have any bullnose buds. She may move up to No 1. What a soap opera. Then I noticed that Rougie 2 is covered in powdery mildew. No rose in my yard gets that stuff. What is going on around here? So my great start that I thought I had going is going splat.

Kristine, what gorgeous blooms. Your Adobe Sunrise has got to be the most perfect bloom I've every seen. Swirly perfect center and marvelous blending of colors. I need to grow her. It would not be funny if the couple got the last RR, but if you get RR, he'd better not get mildew like mine. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • berrypiez6b
    2 days ago

Can you believe it Diane how when it rains it pours troubles. This is a psychological battle as much as physical , in due time things will be right again - for awhile anyway.

The tail end of the matter is happy.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Echo - that can be so wearing how kids are sick so much. And my kids were ALWAYS sick over Christmas. Hard to believe your roses are on their 2nd flush when mine haven't even started and we got snow yesterday!!! At least the tree leaves have opened and the grass is green. You are getting some really hot weather. Blech.

Diane - thanks, Diane...you can't imagine how glad I am to be home. Mary, my sister, gets shots once/week for her rheumatoid. The person giving the shot has to wear gloves because the stuff is poisonous. Yeesh. She seems to be getting a tiny bit better...at least her mood has improved. Go away terrible winds and snow. We want to garden. :)

Thanks, Jim! Yeah, snow. Roses couldn't go out today. I'm really tired of this. At least I can wander around in the backyard and look at what's growing.

Diane - noooooo. Aw rats! Those rotten deer. That's about enough to break your rosing heart. Something I was thinking of is if you get rebar of various lengths so it's visually disorienting for the deer and pound them in all around the rose beds so they can't reach the roses. They probably wouldn't jump because the rods are of different heights and confusing. You could have rods right up to your roses and for about 6 feet wide (in your grass/soil). That's what I would try. You could even have flags/banners on each pole to further confuse them. If that worked, you wouldn't have to spray anymore. Of course, you'd have to be able to pull out some rebar to make a path for yourself and then put them back. You tried my idea of the bamboo sticks on the quails...and it worked. It could work for this. Anyway, I'm REALLY sorry.

Berrypie - not your roses too!!! Such a shame. Do you put chicken wire around your roses? I'm REALLY sorry for you too. :( Your Amara is a really beautiful dog. :) :) :)

Kristine - those are beauties!! My fave is Adobe Sunrise!! I love the little bit of picotee edging. I hope you're getting your new Rougie soon!

Berrypie - oh, isn't that rotten that Amara has siphoned off from your gardening budget?!! Rats! But I'm glad that you've found a source for Bring Me Sunshine. :) :) Like Diane said, I doubt a Robin would have accomplished this. And it's very good that you've created a nature-friendly organic garden. That's a very good thing you've accomplished!! It's just one rose? That may be easily fixed by caging her up.

Diane - I googled and found: Robins can also eat fruit, seeds, suet, crushed peanuts, sunflower hearts and raisins. They particularly enjoy mealworms. But I doubt they could destroy the roots of a rose. Geez, even your sprayers are working against you. Augusta Luise will assuredly get better with the next flush. But I do hope that your Ashley causes AL to be a little scared over losing the coveted #1 spot so that she does better. :) :) Mildew - too much rain. Bah humbug. :) :)

Hopefully the roses can go out tomorrow.

• KittyNYz6
    2 days ago

Beautiful roses Kristine! I’ll read more later…..Radiant Perfume is gorgeous! I’d love to see her more….. see how her yellow blooms open!

Berry, Sweet Amara, Always the “Sweetest End of the matter!“ How are your La France Carnations? & Mme Dubost? I have big buds on my lady! I ordered more zla France seeds this year & seedlings outside growing now! I am soooo glad you enouraged me to have them! I love carnations! And The Bl Knight Scabiosas seedlings are outside, too!!!!! How are your scabiosa?

Diane, Boo on deer!!!!! I hope the deer repell. works! Get some more on soon! My lady at her resident chased the deer out if her garden! Ha! 🤪🥀😊😇🌺🌸🌷Gorgeous Angel Face! Perfect blooms!

It was supposed to drizzel all night! Looks wet this morning, but may not rain today! Humid!

72F today! Nice spring! Tomorrow 78F!

AND……little spring mildew now….hardly any. Good!

Jim, M 84F, T87F, W 87F! Hope no rain. Need SUN! Hows your weather??

GARDENING:

Some 14 ETSY baby/teen roses still in kitchen protecting from wet-humid outside! (Roses go outside in next dry day! Anemone plants sprouting- starting in kitchen! Tuberrose sprouting, too! Couple pansy/ obedient plant seeds sprouting left in kitchen.

Lemon tree in living room bay window waiting for hot drier weather!

Dahlias & other potted roses on kitchen porch, too! Some new potted baby/teen roses on steps. These are tolerating rain/humidity daily!

Kristine, 2 BABY The Fawn are in rain on porch steps, tiny pots -do well in humidity rain so far. Seem hardy! Good!

Seedlings: zinnia, Scabiosa, lettuce,,cosmos, poppies, carnations growing outside garden beds now.

Carol, SNOW???? NO, NO, No! 🤪😊🥀🌺😇 It’s spring! Will you have sun soon? ! Happy to have you back! Gardening Time! Any fuchsia yet? My 3 fuchsia came in mail last week & potted. They had some wilt, but oruned-they are nice in 4 inch pots now. How was your trip? Are you feeling better now? Ready to garden? How are your rises? Passiflora? Streps? Seedlings outside?

FIXING-UP KITCHEN PORCH:

I have a new plant white shelf & rod iron white chairs/ table for kitchenn porch. I shall put out this Monday! Potted roses/dahlias, seedlings can go on shelf! Yay! (Gardener will put together my new table/2 chairs.)

Princess Kisha,

Even more beautiful in person…

Blooming in kitchen.

rosecanadian thanked KittyNYz6
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    2 days ago

Diane,

I’m so sorry about those deer. Nature is so unfair sometimes.

Jim,

I going to get a Rozanne Cranesbill, they do quite well in CA. Mom has a generic purple one that freely reseeds itself.

Carol

Welcome back! Home sweet home! But no more snow already!

Berrypie

I love a waggy tailed dog

Kitty,

Yes, that alien dog pic scared and scarred my little Elon, please do not show it again. He woke up from his doggy nap with a wild look in his eyes, unable to ’unsee’ that overcoiffed abomination.

Kristine

Those blooms are gorgeous. I loved Brigadoon when I grew him. Radiant Perfume is a favorite too.

I just finished deadheading 180 gallons worth of rose trimmings. My garbage bins runneth over. I planted everything I bought from my local garden plant sale, too: Zinnias, Heliconia, Crocosmia, other stuff. Best of all I got an fully grown Austin , The Lady Gardener, for just $10! They had a full grown Gertrude Jekyll for $10 too, but I already have her. Our club has the best plant sales My neighbor was weeding Cal Poppies from her stone bed, so I helped her and planted some seedlings in plastic cups…they sold out at the garden sale in 5 minutes!

Some new roses sent to me by a forum buddy!

Claude Monet

Flora Danica

rosecanadian thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    2 days ago

Robins and other birds love to go under my roses here for worms & other goodies but never seem to hurt anything... Some birds here even land on the roses eating insects...

Ok BenT Rozanne Cranesbill ...Cool! :-) Nice photos!

Kitty, well its raining here today again suppose to clear up around 4pm and hit about 71 degrees F...... THEN 78 F. Sun, 83F., Mon 85F., and 86 F. Tue...Sun and clouds those days with no rain...

rosecanadian thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • KittyNYz6
    2 days ago

Ben, Rolling over on floor! Historical! Silly Poor Elon! That look on his face! 🤪😊!!!!

Love your Claude Monet freebie! Niiiiiceeeeee!

Jim, We are in for so warm humid weather! OH, NO…you-80SF , too! …. MORE RAIN! NO, NO, NO!!!!!!

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    2 days ago

Carol, I have never lived anywhere but Texas and have only been in the snow for vacation a handful of times. Every summer I think, I can’t do this terrible heat anymore but I don’t think i could do the snow either. heat it is, I suppose. i hope you get to see your roses bloom soon.

Princess Kisha is a stunning rose, wow wow!! & Claude Monet. and Kristine, all beautiful but the Adobe Sunrise is so lovely

Diane, the deer situation sounds so frustrating. I always thought they were so pretty and peaceful but didn’t realize what pests they could really be. We have tons of rabbits here but really no deer. Once I had a huge roadrunner sitting on my fence. They are such dinosaur looking birds, so odd up close. my brain couldn’t process what I was looking at for a second. thankfully the visitors in my garden don’t go after the plants. The heat does that.

PS anyone else excited for the DA unveiling of the new rose? what is it? two days away? any guesses on the color?

rosecanadian thanked Echo_Texas_zone9a
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Kitty - your Princess Kisha bloom is utterly divine!!! Are they fragrant? I'm glad your weather is going to get warmer. You've had enough rain. :) :) I love hearing you plant news. :) :) Snow should be done for now...we're going to get lots of rain starting soon...but today is sunny. YAY The rain's okay...we need it and we can store a lot in our rain collection system. My fuchsia seeds haven't germinated (others did)...I think they're dead. I may have put them outside in their jug too soon. My fuchsia plants haven't come yet. Yes, I'm ready to garden now. I'm staying put. :) :) I'm still feeling the loss of my mom, but I'm okay. It will take time. I've gotten rid of all of my streps except for one. I got some more lithops...supposed to have been colorful...they're all brown except for one green one. So I ordered some more seeds (I have one living one from the last batch of seeds) from eBay. Hopefully, I can get some different colors from those seeds. My outside seedlings are doing well...lots coming up in the garden and in my jugs. Yay!! Passifloras are not doing great. In the garage for too long. I'm not sure if they'll survive...but we'll see. Your gardener is a God send!

Ben - you have the most handsome chihuahua in the world!!! I love Elon!!! Ooooh...those new roses are really lovely...soon they'll be unbelievably fantastic in your hands!! :) :)

Echo - snow is better than heat IMO. :) :) I guess it's all what we're used to. :) :) Thanks, I hope I get to see my roses bloom soon too. I did have a Stainless Steel bloom...it's past perfection right now. I do have lots of buds...so soonish I'll get to see more roses!! I'd love to see a roadrunner up close like that!! I didn't know that DA is unveiling a new rose!! That's exciting!! I'm guessing yellow. :)

2 days ago

Echo,

Pics of the new Austin are up, I pilfered this one from the European thread

It looks a bit like Jubilee Celebration, except it’s pretty. (Never was a JC fan).

Kitty,

Your own Princess Kisha is much prettier than the promotional pic you posted earlier. That lady posing with the big bouquet of Princess Kisha looks like she got some Instagram lessons from Gracielinda, probably in lieu of undeliverable Exclusive rosebushes. She looks so happy she probably snagged a jar of rose jam out from under GRLLC too, unlike you and poor Dianela.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Oh, Ben...thanks for the pilfered picture! :) :) Another pink. It's beautiful!! It looks a lot like Christopher Marlowe to me.

• berrypiez6b
    2 days ago

KittyNYz6 Princess Kisha is ravishing !

My Madame Dubost has only been here a few weeks since arriving from High Country. After seeing your photos I'm so anxious to see a bloom, but it will take awhile- she's still a slip of a girl. The old leaves she came with have a little rust on them I noticed while watering this morning, they will need to be removed quick . Her new leaf growth at the top is perfectly beautiful , making a cute little umbrella shape.

I agree the La France dianthus are some of the most lovely flowers I haver ever grown. I'm glad you had success too ! Carnations are so common in florist bouquets I thought dianthus might be boring, but I've become fanatical about growing them from seed. This year I'm adding a deep red dianthus "Grenadin King of Black " and some striped dianthus called " Miss Aroma " that are supposed to have incredible fragrance. I got them at Hazzard's Home Gardener seeds.

The first little seedling has come up in my new pot of La France , I can't find any sign yet of last years plants surviving. Oh dear, forgot to plant the scabiosas.

Robins dug a wide deep hole in the front flower bed and constantly throw dirt all over the patio. I'm going to do more pots today and replant seeds, but I have no more lobelia seeds to replace what got destroyed. I see why my neighbors just buy plants.

yesterday

Well I was cutting grass today and I noticed my two coneflowers that were planted in late April which I was going try had all its leaves about chewed off my bad insects... Terrible insect damage! SO, not the right plant for here... I will plant two Diervilla shrubs in there place...( Bees love them and bad insects leave them alone.. :-)

• berrypiez6b
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

rosecanadian glad to hear you are done with snow. We have wind hail and driving rain , what a Spring.

To answer your question ;my roses aren't caged, but I would have to chicken wire the whole garden from top to bottom to bird proof, which would also keep me out. For now Amara and I will have to patrol more vigilantly. I need a Have Teddy Will Travel booking for the summer. Last year the neighbor's cat used my garden for a litter box . It was a small price to pay for a security guard. There seems to be a cat shortage this year.

jim1961 sorry to hear your coneflowers bit it , the shrubs sound like a nice alternative.

• KittyNYz6
    yesterday

Thank you, Ben, Berry, Echo & Carol! Princess Kisha has been a favorite kately! She is ravishing & will be great in bouquets!

High on rose jam! Sounds like a great idea to me!

Berry, “Here kitty, kitty, kitty! Come back to Berry’s garden, Kitty Kitty…tell robins to go away! ?” Sweet little Mme Dubost! She may take a season to be established! But she will be a great lady! Under grow lights scabiosa can sprout in 5-7 days! After a couple weeks I then put her outside! Enjoy & get thoe scabiosa planted. 😊😇🥀

Carol, Yay! Snow is over! I think you will be getting my rain as I kept teying to send it back to Canada! 🤪😊 Your fuchsias will be beautiful when they come! And colorful lithops-they are a funny & amazing! Wow! Your seedlings made it through the snow! Wowza! My passiflora went to the funeral in the sky! No room in my garden time to pamper them. This year I have too many other pampering plants….. ranuncukys Ranunculus, dahlias, fuchuss & more! I will love to see your oassifloras if they make it!

GRF delivered Bl Baccara today! Woohoo! Good looking green keafy bareroot potted!

Soooo sleepy…. falling asleep…… catch you laterafter….

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Well, today was a better day, and I worked hard all day long. Our patio is just one big parade of newly planted hot peppers in big pots. These little plants grow huge fast, so big pots and a fortune's worth of potting soil work best for me. I've grown hot peppers for years and tried planting them in ground and in raised beds, and big pots win the pepper sweepstakes. It's easier to pamper them that way. I finished spraying deer repellent and I'm covered in the stench of rotten eggs mixed with oil of peppermint, a lovely blend of smells. I found more deer damage in back, but discovered Rougie does not have powdery mildew after all. It was dark when I was spraying that area, and I saw wrong. Nice surprise. Augusta Luise is blooming and many blooms opened from bullnose buds. Ugh. We have several robin's nests in our trees and snowball, and our robins don't do the kind of damage that Berry posts about. I'm wondering if it's something doing the bad stuff. Our robins divide up the yard into territorial sectors, and woe be to the bird that ventures into the wrong sector. A battle will ensue. But most of the time, robins do their worm and insect hunting in the lawn. And true to Turdus migratorius, the robins poop all over everything, including the roses. Evelyn was quite besmirched by Mrs Turdus. As I mentioned, every year there is a finch nest in Colette, and the babies can be easily heard. I am hoping I don't get baby bird doo from the nest raining down on my head this year. Let's leave c!@#$y topics behind......Diane SHOW THIS POST HOUZZ! This post has been censored by me, and all words starting with c and ending with p have been removed.

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Well, my long post didn't post. HOUZZ fix your server. Houzz, wakeup. DIngdong. People are posting and you're not showing the posts! You! Asleep at your help desk. Show Diane's post. Diane can see it plainly, but no one else. Houzz. Anybody home?????

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    yesterday

Berrypie - I agree. My Madame Dubost is just a wee thing too. And I'm so anxious to see a bloom. Surprisingly there is a small bloom on the tiny plant. :) :) You're really experimenting with growing new types of dianthus! So exciting. :) :) I'm excited to see pics. :) :) I really didn't think Robins would do that...but it sounds like they do! Rats about your lobelia seeds. Wind, hail and driving rain...no thanks. I'm sorry you've got such terrible weather. Rats again. I meant to just cage the rose that had its roots destroyed. I thought that may be a special place for a particular Robin and if the space was taken away, it may go away. :) :) Yes, you and Amara will need to up your patrol time. Dogs really love to have a job...so this may be right up her alley. I will send Teddy right away...he loves having a job!! Would Amara be okay with you adopting a cat? :) :)

Jim - you are so right, not fighting nature is so much easier. :) :)

Kitty - I agree, having no more snow coming is a reason to cheer! YAY!! So we're getting your leftover rain. :) :) We'll capture it, store it and if you want it back, we can helicopter our big tote to you. lol Yeah, I got rid of two of my passifloras and I may get rid of the two I have. They really do need a lot of pampering. I can use the pots to grow more peas or beans. Black Baccara is SUCH a beautiful rose!!! I would have ordered it if it had fragrance. I'm really excited to see your pics of it this summer.

Diane - I see your message. :) :) I bet you're tired out from working all day long. :) Those hot peppers will be put to good use by your son-in-law. You'll get a lot, as usual. :) :) Being covered in the stench of rotten eggs and peppermint will be worth it to keep the deer away. Good job getting this nasty job done. That is GREAT to hear that Rougie doesn't have PM. My Rougie looks the best of all of my new bare roots. The leaves are a really nice red. Ugh is right...bullnose buds are such a waste of rose energy. Hopefully that will go away with the warmer weather. I love your Robin story! Turdus Migratorious...I still love that name. lol, lol. It is too bad about Evelyn being besmirched like that. Your yard does sound like a lot of fun to sit and watch the action. Colette is so sweet (as are you) to host the finches every year. So sweet.

I planted 5 pots of pea seeds. I'm excited to eat peas when the new plants produce. I'm going to plant more and more as the season progresses.

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Hi Carol, well, I'll be besmirched, my post showed up. I just woke up from passing out in my old rocking chair. Reading about you planting pea seeds in pots makes me want to try that. I'd never thought of peas in pots, just sweet peas. That's great about your Rougie looking so good. Did you have your RR last year or is he new? Can't remember just now. I'm thinking that Berry might have some other pest doing all the damage. Robins hop all over the place, not just in one spot, and like lawn better than flower beds. They especially like just watered lawns because the worms rise the surface of the ground. Have you taken pics of the lithops you can post? Are your calendula germinating? I had one calendula plant germinate in the middle of winter from reseeding by a plant from last year. The dead plants covered the new plant and I could see it underneath them. When I finally cleaned up the area, the plant was raring to go, and is now blooming while it's tiny cousins are just getting started. I noticed a sunflower seedling in the middle of the calendula. I don't know whether to keep it. I did sow a few sunflower seeds in another bed. Speaking of which, I must return to bed. So happy to have you back and posting late night. Diane

yesterday

The new Austin will be named Emma Bridgewater

I pilfered this info from Ross13 on the European thread, too. There ae some really gorgeous roses on that thread, I wish I could steal some of those plants, not just pics!

Diane

I am going to take your advice and put my puny peppers into big pots with really good potting soil. They never seem to take off on the ground, unlike tomatoes.

yesterday

All this Robin talk...lol...I was watching a Robin this morning pecking at my neighbors mulched area near her house and the Robin was throwing debris all over my neighbors sidewalk...(Made me think of you BerryPie..) THEN it pulled out this giant worm and was pecking at it THEN another Robin from out of nowhere comes and steals it off him/her...lol...Then more pecking more debris flying... Would be nice if they did clean up more after themselves...lol

yesterday

Emma Bridgewater, a decent name

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    yesterday

Kristine, I’m worried fragrance is going to be absent on Emma :(

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Jim, robins could use some toilet paper and manners. Nanadoll

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    yesterday

Ben, thank you for the new rose intel . I’m not sure what I think yet. I was hoping for something novel. My immediate thought was it looks like a mid pink Eustacia Vye. Not really huge on the Elizabeth, Nye Bevan, Danahue.. Bring Me Sunshine is growing on me based on gardeners personal photos here and on IG. Will be interesting to see how this one does.

yesterday

Last year I cur Charles Renne Macintosh to the ground to remove. It never bloomed and if it did they were small puny things. But, luckily, I never got around to it and boy oh boy did it get the message. I have never seen it look so good!

This was also on Charles

yesterday

I finally finished my back corner. I painted all of the trellis, planted 2 new clematis, 2 white Datura and 4 packs if zinnias. There enough seeds that something should come up. Clouds have rolled in so a petrect planting day

Hot Cocoa

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Echo, I thought the new Austin tarted up rose that Ben showed us above looked a bit like my Boscobel. In fact, the "new" rose looks a bit like a lot of Austin roses. Ho hum.

Kristine, Charles looks fantastic and much better than that Austin promotional pic above. Now I want to grow Charles. Do I see the Doc? Maybe Charles needed a Doc to do the dramatic revival. I love your Hot Cocoa, too. Diane

Austin's new rose.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    yesterday

Diane - I use long bamboo stakes to support the peas (one per plant). I get a lot of peas to snack on. It's fun and delicious to get peas each day. I succession plant them. :) My Rougie is a new bare root this year. I keep having to cut back new/old roses because of black cane. Rougie doesn't have any problems that way. No, I haven't taken pics of my lithops. They're not as photogenic as my streps...but I will once they bloom in the fall. :) I'm not sure if the calendula have germinated because I planted/sowed a lot of seeds...so I'm not sure which ones have sprouted and which ones haven't. Really? That's a tough seed to last through winter...maybe you should save some of that seed in case it's a more winter hardy version? Hmmmm...it might be kind of funky and fun to have a sunflower towering above the calendula. :) :) Yeah, it's SO good to be back.

Thanks, Ben for the picture and the description. Looks like one I'll pass on because of the lack of fragrance. It is pretty though.

Jim - well, I guess you proved us Robin doubters wrong. They can make a mess. That was fun to hear what they were up to. lol

Kristine - my goodness!!! Your CRM really is a winner!! GORGEOUS!! :) :) I think you've painted all of your trellises this color? Such a happy color. And the clematis is a delicate-looking beauty!!! I wish Clematis would do well for me. I can't tell you how many I've killed. Sheesh. What is the beauty beneath the pic of your luscious Hot Cocoa?

Diane - beautiful Boscobel!!

• berrypiez6b
    yesterday

rosecanadian wow that's going to be thrilling to get your first look at Madame Dubost. Yesterday I researched photos and info on the fragrance, we have a keeper.

There is one tiny bud starting at the top of my new Francis Dubreuil so that will give me something to brood over. He's safe his a pot . It's a bit distressing there is no safe place in the ground.

I pulled out all my seed labels on skewers and set them up as punji sticks in the largest worm crater the birds dug. After admiring my job I turned to go in the house and two robins were just a few feet away watching me , waiting to dig breakfast. I hope no one saw me running across the yard yelling and waving my arms chasing them off . That will add to the consensus my neighbor's think I've lost my marbles. Teddy we need you to train Amara !!!

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Carol, I do collect calendula seeds and sowed them among my three calendula beds which also had several packets of seed sown mixed with the saved seed. A calendula collection. This plant is way hardier than described, and mine bloomed until the end of October last year when hard frosts began in earnest. The sunflower from last year was in the middle of the calendulas. My beds are a bloomin mess. I'm more picky in the front, but have more fun in the back yard. Thanks for the pea tips (that sounds funny), and I may try it next year. And thanks about Boscobel. Yes, robins can make a mess, but here it's the poopy mess. They also hog the birdbath when bathing, and get so excited they knock all the water out of the birdbath. Oh, I seen that hilarity many a time.

Berry, it's trash talkin about robins on this thread. They do have funny personalities, but the quail are far worse. Talk about destructive. I have bamboo stakes around all my calendula beds until the plants get large enough that they don't interest quail. I have stakes both lying down and vertical around key roses that the quail pick on for the females' constant dust baths. They can excavate out rose roots easily making these dust bath depressions, and the mess on sidewalks around roses in front is awful. I wish you success in the robin wars, and don't worry about the neighbors on thoughts and marbles. I run screaming after deer, clapping my hands, and even ringing bells. Then I bark like a dog. My family just loves that. Diane

20 hours ago

ruff ruff ruff Nanadoll...that made me laugh... :-)

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    20 hours ago

Diane, too funny! 🤣 The things we do for our plants!

• berrypiez6b
    18 hours ago
    last modified: 15 hours ago

I actually did consider it , but better leave the barking to Amara or I'll get a trip to garden at the funny farm.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    12 hours ago
    last modified: 12 hours ago

Well, we had snow, hail, sleet, and rain today...fun, fun. lol

I barely have time to be on the rose forum with trying to get things done in the house (another person...more dishes/laundry, mess, etc.), trying to do a little gardening and looking after my sister. She needs so much help. I'm going to get Kedra to listen to Mary's chest when Kedra comes. Mary has REALLY bad asthma and I don't know if she needs to go to a doctor or not.

Berrypie - Maybe I need to make a video of Teddy chasing critters away so Amara can watch it. :) :) I'm excited about my Madame Dubost...still a tiny own root rose...but I'm hoping it does well for me. :) :) I'm glad your Francis Dubreuil is safe in her pot. All of my roses are in pots, so it seems normal to me. I googled to see how to pronounce Dubreuil. :) :) Not like I thought it would be (Doobraywheel) lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=pronounce+french+word+Dubreuil&sca_esv=137e48d954afa8b7&sca_upv=1&rlz=1C1GCEU_enCA1006CA1006&sxsrf=ADLYWIIVoAti2GQqApw7Qs1AVWQ__xczuQ%3A1716191214546&ei=7v9KZs_0IKix0PEPi9ekgAw&ved=0ahUKEwjPo9a93puGAxWoGDQIHYsrCcAQ4dUDCBA&uact=5&oq=pronounce+french+word+Dubreuil&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiHnByb25vdW5jZSBmcmVuY2ggd29yZCBEdWJyZXVpbDIFECEYoAEyBRAhGKABMgUQIRifBTIFECEYnwUyBRAhGJ8FMgUQIRifBTIFECEYnwUyBRAhGJ8FSME6UNICWP4xcAJ4AZABAJgBeqABjgO

Oh, those tricksy (like Gollum would say) worms...watching you and figuring out what to do. I agree that we've all lost our marbles a time or too over critters. :) :)

Diane - I hope my calendulas et al. do well so I can collect seeds too. :) :) If I have tons of seeds then I can experiment with my calendula and try them earlier next year. Did you get them to bloom for that long through succession planting or through deadheading? Oh, those robins!! :) :) And, even worse, those quail!! I have a thought about chasing critters away....when we were in Kitimat with Holly, we wanted to keep her safe from all the bears (in the actual town!!), cougars (ditto, but rarely), etc. and the people there said not to use bear spray because many people end up spraying themselves in the face. Instead they recommended Bear Bangers: Scare cartridges (bangers, flares and whistling screamers) are practical, inexpensive, easy-to-use and very effective bear deterrents. They can be fired from pen launchers or pistols. Both systems are highly effective, so the system you choose is simply a matter of personal choice. I can see you and Berry Pie launching your bear Bangers at deer and poor robins. lol They don't hurt...just scare.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    7 hours ago

A few photos of a nice spot in the garden right now. It's tucked away around a bend, and it looks lovely in spring and fall, plus I feel at least partly hidden in this spot once my maple tree leafs out. The star rose of this area is Therese Bugnet who I am unfortunately having issues with. But I still want to show it off.

rosecanadian thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    7 hours ago

And one Mme. Ernest Calvat Bud in another area of the garden about to pop, neighboring geranium (it's geranium Vision Violet, Diane, I forgot to mention before) is majorly encroaching into the rose's personal space. I habitually plant things too close.

5 hours ago

Magpie, I know that Terese is giving you problems but she is so beautiful! I love that area of your garden. A nice secret garden

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 hours ago

Magpie, it’s really nice to have a secret place all to your own. Hope you’re feeling better:)

5 hours ago

@oursteelers 8B PNW Thanks :) I don't know if I'm necessarily feeling "better" but I have had time to get used to the change and reorient myself. I've gone from married stay at home mom to single working mom. So a lot of new things to get used to. But thank goodness for the garden, which is such a balm for my troubled heart and mind. I get way less time to spend in the garden now but I try to at least walk through it once a day if I can. Nothing compares to the scent of my favorite irises in bloom right now:

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    4 hours ago

Magpie, I can’t “like” your last post because of the pain I know you have been/ are going through… I can only imagine how hard this must be for you. I DO like the iris pic and am glad you find solace in the garden. Thank God for gardens.

rosecanadian thanked judijunebugarizonazn8
  • KittyNYz6
    3 hours ago
    last modified: 2 hours ago

Quite Behind on reading your wonderful posts….. Beautiful roses & Flowers Everyone! Fun reading about ”Deer & Robin chasing!” Lol! I love the ”Bear Scaring gadgets! Must scare the robins away! And deer won’t have a chance! Sending iff flares ought to do the trick! LOL! I know that ”Jaws didn’t like flares!” Hee, hee!

(I love shark movies! Lol!)

Magpie, You are such a lovely mom with so much love to give! A super mom! Your children will be sooooo blessed w/ you raising them! I have been a single parent/widow which actually taught my kids to be more capable, independent, cook and work better. Necessity is often the mother of invention. They worked harder for schokarships so they could go to college. They were more responsible because they had to earn opportunities! My girls & son all cook and know how to garden and care for a home and do finance. Being single can be a positive experience. There were challenges, but planning to overcome helps! Make the most iof it! Children can help with home chores at an early age. I was surprised in later years how much it benefited my kids. Sonetines trials can turn around & bless us unexpectantly! Much love!

Kitty

Carol, Thank you regarding Bl Baccara to be planted today! Loving here dark wine blooms that will bloom in the future! Hope in near future!?!?! ? Lol! I’m glad you still have a couple oassifloras! They are fun while they last. YAY for rain & storing rain warer!

Ben, Thank you for the unveiling DA Emmily B! She is pretty, but maybe a little too much like PAoK, Boscobel or EV??? Maybe more disease resistant?

Berry, I am imagining you admiring your beautiful new Mme Dubost then running wildly screaming at those robins! Lol! Maybe you could bang pots & pans? That would be entertaining, at least for the neighbors?

Kristine, Gorgeous painted trellis & clematis. I think my clematis is the same as your lilac one? I have a tall new lilac clematis to be potted on porch! I need an oblilisk for her, too!

Diane, , Sarah Berhardt Peony came couple days ago and potted today in temporary tray. I put her outside. She came from Longfield Gardens, very big long tuber with more than 5 sprouted eyes! On SALE $12.08 & shipping-best price ever! (she had a few sprouted roots, too too. Best tuber received yet!) She’s enjoying our sunshine today outside!

Today is supposed to be 84F. it is the nicest day yet….. pleasant, not hot like summer. Maybe low humidity because its so nice. No need air conditioning. 82F now. Later I olant dahlias today and a ROS purple tree & Bl Baccara rose.

On my kitchen porch I set up the new white shelf & new Bistro chair. Outside part of the Bistro table/chair , too.

Princess Kisha

Alium blooming

• Diane Brakefield
    3 hours ago

Carol, it's good you're helping your sister out now, but do you have access to home health aides that could not only help her, but relieve you of some of the physical responsibilities of caring for her? I hope she gets all the medical help she needs, and I'm glad she has you......Back to the scaring off of pests. I don't think one of those noise guns would be tolerated in this neighborhood at all, and I hate loud noises like that. It's not necessary anyway because our deer scare off pretty easily when a scary monster barks at them. I haven't seen them at all this season. They sneak around at night. The loony lost guy deer last year pestered us all season, but is nowhere in sight this year, and I'm happy about that......The calendula just reseeded on its own for months. I collected seed by deadheading just once, and got plenty. I have a lot of plants like that, both perennials and annuals. I want as easy care a garden as I can get because there are plenty of plants that do need extra care. Roses, I'm looking at you. I wish I could send you some seed, as you know. Have an easy day. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 hours ago

Magpie, I love those glimpses above of your special corner garden. The second photo was just excellent showing the beauty of Theresa Bugnet with the pink delphinium. What a blend of color. I don't think your cranesbill will do any harm. It's lovely near the rose. I grow one called New Hampshire that pops up in different spots and I like the free plants. Some of those I've transplanted easily. Rozanne blooms much more but never spreads. I asked a while back about your gorgeous verbascum. Is it purple? It looks like a delph. I grew Southern Charm many years ago, but didn't like that it bloomed just once. Does yours rebloom and is it an annual?...,Take care, Magpie, and you'll come out fine at the end of the tunnel, but it can be a rough journey. I agree with everyone that gardens are a comfort and a beautiful getaway to focus on. Diane

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 hours ago
    last modified: 2 hours ago

Magpie - your garden is beautiful!! I love pinks and purples together. :) :) I've totally missed what's happened. Did your husband die or are you divorced? Either way, you've been through a HUGE change! I'm glad you were able to find a job. You've had so much stress lately and I'm sorry for that. {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} I'm glad you have your kids and your garden. I hope that blessings fall all around you and lift you.

Kitty - I love shark movies too!!! And I love big animal movies...so naturally I loved the Megaladon movies!!! Bwahaha!! I didn't know that your husband had died and when your kids were young. You've had to be tough and extra. I'm proud of you for surviving and flourishing after the death of your husband. I'm sure it took you awhile to get past the grief...I'm in awe at what you've accomplished. :) :) Your kids were so lucky to have you as a mom! Oh, I love your white furniture...especially that chair!! And the cat is so cute and fun!!

Diane - thanks for thinking of me. :) :) I don't think home care would be a good thing for right now. She's better than she used to be...she can use her hands a bit now. But she still needs a lot of tending. Don and I are going to go swimming today....first time in a long while. We'll go when Mary is still abed. She stays in bed until about 3:30 p.m. So I do get a lot of time to myself. That does help. Yes, back to roses...some of the ideas I have are kind of "out there." lol A barking Diane is low tech and works well. :) :)

I almost lost this post...drat Houzz!!! But I had copied it before I pressed submit. Ha! Take that, Houzz!!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    1 hour ago
    last modified: 1 hour ago

Ben, thanks for the 411 on the new David Austin rose! I like it. Then again, I love my Jubilee Celebration too lol.

Diane, My Boscobol is often screaming Coral orange-ish pink here. I wonder if this new Austin would do the same. I love my Bocobol but I like it a little more when its a little less orange :/

Kitty, I love your white rose bistro set. I have that set in a verdigris green. I want to paint it white like yours. I have been thinking of doing it for awhile. I might do it white but distressed- so some of the green blue shows through in areas..hmmm still thinking lol. I also love your allium. The only onions I have are walking onions, that I started when we moved here. They have literally taken over an entire 4x8 raised bed. I just plopped some tomatoes amist the walking onions lol.

I went overboard with tomato seeds this year. I have 50 plants left to plant and not enough raised bed space. Some are 2 feet tall and still in cups! Queen of Night and Terracotta both have marble sized tomatoes on them too lol! Ive got to do something with them soon. Of course, several of my hot peppers got ate by something. All the jalapenos got ate. I might start new ones if I cant find any plants. I had purple, green and orange jalapenos started grrr! I need tons of them for Cowboy Candy which I make hubby every year.

Magpie, I am so jealous of your Iris ♡♡

Carol, I also love shark movies and also crocodile horror movies etc. I recently rewatched that movie Rogue with a huge killer Croc in Australia getting the tourist boat. Its pretty scary lol. I'm glad you are feeling up to posting again:)

We had crazy weather a few days ago..Tornado Watches and Warnings again plus over 4 inches of rain. The pastures are puddles. My son almost stepped on some type of snake while locking up chickens last night. It was either a Southern Watersnake (nonvenomous) or a cottonmouth (venomous) they look similar, especially at dusk. Yikes! I put the photo on the FL forum for an ID. I'm not great at IDing snakes.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor