Hymenosporum flavum

thefof(NSW Aust)August 9, 2014

Guys

When I put this in, I didn't do enough research. Durr!!

It is double trunked and about 6m tall. Over the years it has lost most of its lower branches to wind, so it now looks like 2 over-sized lollipops.

Does any one have experience of cutting these down? Will they shoot from dormant buds, on the trunk, or coppice from the base?

TIA

Fof

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tedhort

Hi Fof

I had one of these years back and soon realised that it had plenty of epicormic buds along its stems and trunk. I pruned it well into the older wood and it regenerated reasonably quickly. I didn't get any coppicing at the base but I suspect if cut heavily enough that it might. It is known for being fire resistant or fire retardant so that would also make me think that it will coppice.

Anyway, I ended up getting rid of it in the end but loved it whilst I had it growing. I now have the dwarf version -- a much more bushy plant but doesn't flower as well as the parent.

Regards,
Ted

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 8:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thefof(NSW Aust)

Thanks, Ted. That is exactly what I had hoped to hear.
As I said, it is double trunked, with the split point below ground level. I have often wondered if it was a single seedling or 2 together when I got it as tube stock.
Will wait a bit longer then I'll bring one down, very low and see if it coppices. Once I see what it is doing, I'll think about doing the other.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
Is this a weeping Leptospermum or Melaleuca? Suggestion
This is in Manly West, Brisbane. Sorry no flowers at...
blackbeantree
Unidentified Acacia
I've been unable to identify this Acacia species from...
Woko
Scaevola i.d.
Hi. My first post. I'd be grateful if someone could...
Woko
Australian Natives question
Hi all just signed up and looking forward to some plant...
BenNT
Eucalyptus Identity
Hi there. I'd appreciate help in identifying this Eucalyptus...
Woko
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™