Yucca Plant disease

barb_tomNovember 12, 2006

I just bought an indoor Yucca plant last week, (10 inch pot) and the lady at the store told me to buy organic compost and use it on all my plants, so I put it around the yucca as soon as I brought it home. Now, It already has leaves that are turning yellow and have black spots on them. I want to keep it as an indoor plant.........I haven't watered it yet, because I tend to over water everything, and was told you don't water yuccas that much.....

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenlen

g'day barb_tom,

not sure mate could be lots of variables?

some pic's may help.

but for indoor plants yes watch the watering but most importantly is light level they need good light and what we percieve by eye is not the same thing, also no direct sun through glass.

we used to just add some slow release fertiliser about once a year (buyt the long lasting stuff), so not sure what it is that she has sold you?

could also be that the older leaves are going to be lost as the plant adapts to its new conditions.

if you have white walls or using a say an a4 size piece of paper held flat on the wall you can do a light test.

hold your open hand app' 10"s away from the wall and see how well or not the shadow of you hand is defined, the sharper the shadow the better the light and the fuzzier the shadow the worse the light, the ideal a nice sharp shadow.

and the other enemy of indoor plants air conditioning and central heating. along with the normal dry humidity of indoors humidity can be increased by the addition of say a fish tank or just have some buckets of water around like 1 per room, also spray mist the foliage say every second day, or stand the potted plant on a tray filled with little stones and water added.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 2:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellie614

Hi, I have two Yucca plants which I transplanted from a neighbors yard about 10+ years ago. They have done fine until today. We were putting a stake in to hold up the flower stalk on one of them and we noticed they both were covered with a black, flying insect. And I do mean covered! We sprayed both plants with a general flying insect spray and they swarmed away or flew into nearby trees. My question is, do you know (without privy of a picture) what these might be? The flower stalks are over 6 feet tall so it was impossible for us to get a good look at them. They did resemble a small stinkbug bug, and they did fly. But other than that I can't say. I have searched the Internet and can find nothing that vaguely resembles what these were under "Yucca pests". Do you think we have rid ourselves of these pests? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bookmark   May 18, 2008 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
moving old rose & after care
This is after about 1 1/2 months in a pot (see previous...
lenarufus
Type of Lilly Pilly?? Calling all experts!
Fellow Lilly Pilly experts, I planted 22 Syzygium Resilience...
Redbarronflys
Is this a weeping Leptospermum or Melaleuca? Suggestion
This is in Manly West, Brisbane. Sorry no flowers at...
blackbeantree
Kangaroo paws
We've been trying for years to grow kangaroo paws along...
Rainbow7
Sausage Tree Fruit Sydney Central coast area
Hello All. I am trying to obtain Sausage Tree fruit...
Gonguana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™