SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinedevlin_gw

Jacaranda Trees

Catherine Devlin
22 years ago

Can Jacaranda trees be grown from cuttings or seed only!

Cheers

Catherine

Comments (123)

• rarrgh
    18 years ago

Thought I'd post the results of what the start of summer and a little rain have done for my two jacarandas. Tripled in height within three months :)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2116223}}

• peter_rivervale
    18 years ago

I have a jacaranda about 9 metres tall and at least 35 years old. It has sparse flowers and leaves and the roots are lifting bricks in the driveway. What is the average life of a jacaranda? If it is nearing its natural end I would consider chopping it down as the brick lifting and leaves in the gutters are becoming a real nuisance.

• Related Discussions

Winterizing Jacaranda Trees

Q

Comments (94)
    @ Sari Swede I guess it's good as is where You live. You can make a little shelter for the plant for the unusual cold winter days, but maybe it's not necessary. The roots are at least 10-12 inches (or more) below the ground and they will never be under 45F. Even if the leaves frost, the roots will be fine. Anyway it's not a bad idea to pour some wood chips around the trunk as a thermal insulation. Jacarandas drop almost 90-95% of their leaves in the winter. Just a few remain. As for the pruning: the best time to prune the Jacaranda is late winter. I usually prune mine in January. Make sure that the tool is clean you prune the Jacaranda with! Jacarandas are sensible to infections. Wherever you cut, it will branch out 2, sometimes 3 ways! Jacarandas usually bloom first when they reach 3-4 or so years of age. The tiny buds will appear in september-october and they will "sleep" during the winter. In spring the Jacaranda blooms even it has no leaves! Beautiful sight and very good smell! So You have to be careful with the pruning, because you can cut the tiny buds off when prune your plant and it will not bloom in the spring. But it's a bit far away now, you have to wait for the first buds 2-3 more years. Good luck!
    ...See More

Jacaranda Tree

Q

Comments (0)
    I have a new jacaranda tree. It has been in my yard one year and I bought it from the local nursery when it was one or two years old. So o think it's either 2 or 3 years old. At the most I think 4 years old (guessing). I don't see any branches, it's just a straight shot up about 7 to 8 ft. It does grow the green branches from the top of the tree but is there a certain point when actual wood branches will start to grow as offshoots from the main trunk? See photo:
    ...See More

Whats wrong with this Jacaranda tree?

Q

Comments (6)
    looks like a shipping stake.. rather than a structural stake ... might not hurt to leave it there for this season ... after that.. it will be rather useless ... undersized ... but i would get rid of the plastic green tape.. and tie it with only nylons.. or all cotton sting ... so it will rot off eventually.. if you forget to remove it ... [butchers string is all cotton] a stake might be necessary.. only to hold the roots in the soil .. the first season after transplanting.. so the roots dont move around.. while they grow into the undisturbed soil ... after this year.. that should not be an issue ... so be done with it next spring.. at the latest ... in my sand soil.. i wouldnt bother with a stake at all ... but i dont know your soil ... ken
    ...See More

Jacaranda tree with crooked trunk

Q

Comments (4)
    hard to opine without a pic ... but there is no reason it should be a problem.. if that is the way the tree grew itself .. meaning.. its not injury related ... i see no downside to discussing it with the seller .. you often find out the veracity of peeps.. when you question their decisions .. should he really have sent this one out??? the common response to this type of trunk question is ... you probably wont even notice it when its a foot thick trunk .. though im not sure Js get that thick.. lol ... ken
    ...See More
  • User
    18 years ago

I notice you are a new member. Welcome.

I don't think 35yrs is particularly old for a Jacaranda. I know of a tree in Durban, Sth Africa which is over 120 yrs old.

Much as I love Jacarandas, if the tree is troublesome, let that be the decider. The problems will only get worse. Your garden is meant to bring you pleasure, not pain.

Cheers,
    Dee.

• carol9046
    18 years ago

Hello All,

I have a question regarding fertilizing for a multi-trunk jacaranda. I put the tree in 8 years ago when it was about 3-4 meters high, added root stimulator & watering advice I received from a very nice person at the Univerity of Queensland, & voila, it was a very happy baby. We have been away for about 5 years. The tree is now 9-10 meters high but looks like it is lacking something. Some of the branches were dead from lack of water (the house was rented) and are just now coming back. I am guessing that there was no fertilization during that time. Top of tree has a few leaves and the rest of the branch is bare. Temperature here ranges from 9-24 C. No rain for 125 days. I am watering only once per week-maybe 10 gallons at a time. We did have frost and freezes here this winter. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Regards-Carol

• carol9046
    18 years ago

Post Script: Did forget to mention that our temp right now of 9-24C will go to 50C this summer, about 2 - 3 months from now-we are in a brief period of spring at present.

• eirninus
    18 years ago

Hi Guys,

I spent some time in Australia and fell in love with Jacaranda trees while i was there. I have just bought some seeds over the web, and am very excited - so tell me the bad news . . . . . will they grow in Ireland? Can anyone give me some advice which might help? Can they be grown indoors?

thanks,

Erin

• mistymorn
    18 years ago

Hi Carol Here in Queensland I don't water my Jacaranda's nor do I feed them. They can get to be a weed through dropping so many seeds with new seedling popping up everywhere.. Our Temp in the Winter get lower than that. No way do our temps get to 50C in the Summer most days are around 30-32 with the odd 38-40 degs but not the summer just gone.. Seeing you live in a desert maybe a good watering would help try pruning I prune mine a lot to thicken then up as I find they tend to go straight up I would not feed till you could see new growth coming through..

Erin::About growing in Ireland I don't know, as they are a Tropical and sub Tropical tree origin Brazil but I did have one growing when I lived in Melbourne (1200 kms south of here) and there were plenty there too. I don't think any tree likes getting grown in doors maybe OK if grown in a pot for starters and left inside for the first Winter...They can grow to be a huge tree, and they are deciduous . Have a look at the link below regards the temps they can live in ...Cheers...MM.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jacaranda

• eirninus
    18 years ago

Thanks Misty ! Fingers crossed, they really are gorgeous :)

• geni_2006
    18 years ago

Would love a tree in my sparce yard .Anyone have a start,any-offers????

• mistymorn
    18 years ago

Best you put a post on the US Forum I am sure someone will send you some seeds
    I have added a link to the Tropical Forum there are some on that
    Also try the Tree Forum and if there is a Forum on Cal try that also...Cheers..MM

Here is a link that might be useful: US Tropical Forum

• jamierosenspam_gmail_com
    18 years ago

My wife and I are building a house outside Mexico City, where she is from. She loves jacarandas (they peak around her birthday :-) and so I'm inclined to plant one for her.

A few bits of advice from the experts on this forum would be most appreciated!

1. this in an area that gets lots of rain every day for about 3-4 months (several hours a day). the rest of the year is fairly dry. is that a problem for jacarandas?

2. we get a LOT of sun. OK for jacarandas?

3. high altitude -- also OK?

4. I'd like to have a big, fun, climbable tree within as short a time as possible (I'll just pretend it's for our young son :-). I know that jacarandas make good climbing trees but do they grow quickly? should I plan to wait 5+ years before it's at least 5-8 meters high? what's the biggest one you can reasonably buy and transplant? anything you can do to help it grow (much) faster?

Thanks!!

• mistymorn
    18 years ago

Thats sound like Brisbane weather, (1) and (2) so they will be OK.
    Sorry I cannot help you about the (3) high altitude.
    You can buy trees high here in Oz it a cost factor that would put you off..No I dont think he will be climbing in it five years well not by the way mine are growing it could be different where you are..
    Please dont try to make your tree grow any faster than Nature intended..Hope this helps......Cheers..MM.

• mistymorn
    18 years ago

Sorry I forgot to say that here in Brisbane we don't seem to get those Monsoonal rains anymore. I also forgot to mention that I never water my four year old 8-9 ft Jacaranda's which would leave me to believe that they would not like wet feet and prefer it dryer...Perhaps a raised garden bed I have lots of plants here in those kinds of beds so that the torrential rains when we do have them don't cause damage to the roots. After flowering they have this long seed pod with hundreds of seeds in it so tend to sprout so many seedlings, they are getting to be a weed here. Cheers....MM.

• carol9046
    18 years ago

Hi Carol in Queensland-

Thanks for the jacaranda advice-pruning seems to work!

Guess it is a matter of applying Common Sense, but was afraid to touch the poor thing until I had 2nd opinions from our Australian experts on the board.

Thanks so much!

Carol,
    Phoenix,Arizona,

• doeadeer
    17 years ago

I have a Jacaranda I planted about 7 years ago. It is just one trunk, and it has had flowers a couple of times. It just doesn't seem to be doing well, though. It is pretty bare right now with no flowering at all (and pretty skinny)

Do Jacaranda's require a lot of water? It doesn't get a lot and I'm thinking about increasing the watering. What is good to fertilize/feed it?

I see so many around the valley that are huge and have tons of flowers....mine is like a Charlie Brown Christmas Tree!

• mistymorn
    17 years ago

I never feed or water my trees and this is Queensland where there is a drought and they grow Ok.

• katjac
    17 years ago

I love Jacarandas and always wanted one in my garden. Is there anyone who could tell me how to plant and germinate seeds successfully?
    Thank you in advance.

• footfullabindiis
    17 years ago

I saw a grafted white flowering jacaranda for sale in a nursery here for $12.95. I was so tempted to grab it but I know that jacarandas are not very good flowerers here in Darwin. There was one at the RSPCA shelter that was many years old and a lovely shady tree, but only threw out the occasional bloom which was usually hidden amongst the foliage.
    I know that in Alice Springs they do sensationally well and make a very dramatic show with the backdrop of the russet coloured McDonnell Ranges. AS can have very severe frosts (-10c) but this doesnt seem to effect the jacarandas.
    I know that there are many jacaranda species - does anyone know of any being grown in Asutralia and what range of colours/forms are in the genus?

• netwebangel
    17 years ago

Here's a pic of my white Jacaranda:

{{gwi:2116233}}

And here's a pic of my purple Jacaranda:

{{gwi:2116234}}

• gkwannabe
    17 years ago

i am very new at this and have a query on pruning young Jacaranda's to train them properly. While my trees are growing well they have also shooted numerous times from the very base of the tree,, even from under the soil level. As we have a huge termite issue i am reluctant to trim these back but also don't want this to limit how the tree's grow. I have about 6, and 5 of them are doing this. Before planting them about a year ago we had our first black frost in nearly 5 years but the trees were under cover at the time. They are on drip irrigation, could it be too much water? i have photo's but couldn't work out how to attach them....noobie! Thanks in advance!

• tammyb
    17 years ago

I planted my Jacaranda tree two years ago when it was only 5' tall. It has not blossomed and it is now twice as tall. When do they begin to blossom? Does it need to get a little older?

• rubix
    16 years ago

I had 5-6 Jacarandas sprouting from seeds but for each of them after they got to about 2" tall the leaves started turning brown and all the plants died soon after. Any idea whats going on with my plants , any help would be appreciated here . Thanks

• moreton
    16 years ago

Hi Rubix,
    Sounds like they have a fungus attack,( dampening off )keep trying different soil, potting mix ,seed raising mix,some times the best way is just throw the seed out the back yard in a corner near the compost heap and just let them go on their own. If you have enough seed try many different ways as over here they just come up every where when conditions suit. Good luck to all our Jacaranda Lovers we shall start a new thread and post all our phptos in Oct this year. 6 years + 3months still going strong many thanks to all and Garden Web. Peter r

• jacaranda_eileen
    16 years ago

Will leaves of my jacaranda like those posted in pictures by rarrgh (10-5-05) begin to look like those posted by netwebangel (11-4-06)? Mine looks like rarrgh's with one exception. Mine has split into a fork at approximately 4 - 4 1/2' and then the equally-size forks have grown to another 5' ea. The limbs now hang heavily over the street so if anyone parks a large vehicle next to it, it gets abused or if a large truck drives down my side of the street, it gets whacked. I don't know what to do to encourage it to grow in a different direction. Any suggestions?

• ncashat
    16 years ago

Fell in love with flowering Jacaranda duing trips to Australia. Bought two 3 foot trees two years ago and planted. They have both grown to over eight feet in just two years. I am concerned about how fast and tall they are growing and would like to have them "beef" up the foundation a bit before growing much taller. Can I snip (prune) the top portion off to slow the growth down?

• georgine
    16 years ago

We have a jacaranda sapling. Grew it from seed that we brought back from Madeira!! It was doing OK but now has a brown scaley covering on some of the twigs and part of the trunk. Looks very sad. Can anyone offer advice. I should hate to lose it, reminds me of home.
    Hopefully, Georgine

• tanwal
    16 years ago

Hi, I planted some agapanthas a couple of years ago and have had (what I think) is a jacaranda, sprout up from in between them, I got them from underneath jacaranda's and transplanted them into my garden. I have transplanted the jacaranda (which is about 2 metres high now) into the backyard, how likely will my sucess rate be? the leaves are drooping, its about 26 degrees today, and I have had the water on it a fair bit. I have also steadied it using twine to a couple of places on the fence. Any advice would be great. should I cut it back a bit?
    cheers!

• moreton
    15 years ago

Hi Tanwal,
    Please do not prune, it will only make the tree sprout, many heads and go all silly. Just leave it and see what happens. Just forget about it no fertiliser, no proding or poking required, thrives on neglet, just protect from frost when younger. (Frost tender in early stages.) Also have an update on the Fungal attack on the grand old Jacarandas in New Farm Park Brisbane, they have all surcome to the dreaded fungus attack and will all be removed. R.I.P. New Farm Jacarandas. Peter r.

• anavictoria
    15 years ago

I want to plant 2 jacaranda trees which were given to me in a plastic bag. The trees are about 25cm. tall. Will they survive where I live? I live in Guatemala and we are still in the rainy part of the year. The temperature at night ranges from 16-20 C and during the day ranges from 20-26 C more or less. I live at a high altitude (about 6000ft.)
    I would appreciate any and all tips.
    Thanks.

• necrochildk
    14 years ago

I've tried three times now and can't get jacaranda seeds to sprout, what on earth could I be doing wrong? Could it be TOO hot for them? Today the peak temperature was 87 degrees and low of 71. I have them in a seed sprouter tray, so it stays fairly damp.

• green_finger
    14 years ago

hi could any 1 plz help me find some white christmas jacaranda seeds or young tree or give me some sort of webpage or website plz , if so plz email me on alanbrownbridge@hotmail.co.uk

• necrochildk
    13 years ago

So, I think this is my fifth try to sprout from seed. And they've finally sprouted! Though this time I used seeds from a different source. >_

• brendanqld
    13 years ago

Out of curiosity I planted some Jac seeds I received of a friend. Now I have 10 seedlings and they are about 1 -2 inches tall. As I am renting and may be for a while, my question is how long will these seedlings be happy in pots? (Large pots obviously).

• johncharliema_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I have got some seedings of a georgeous Pheonix Jacaranda that bears vibrant orange red flowers- ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! so far I have NOT seen1 in Victoria.

How do I start to germinate them. Is April the right time?
    Is it true that I should plant them in bigger pot in order that they are NOT disturbed until they are ready to go to the ground. When/what is the best height that I should plant them in the ground?

• stephmahiai_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Im trying to save a customers Jacaranda tree as they have decided to pull it. It went through a frost in the winter that was about 20F. The tree has tall bare shoots that are about 10feet high. There is a lil bit of new growth growing off the trunk. Any advice on how to prune or perhaps fertilizing to save it?? Any help is appreciated!

• zaftik63_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I've been trying to grown jacaranda trees for sometime now. I have one thats nearly 2 years old and is only about 6 inches tall. and a few that are alittle smaller that are about 2 months old.. I'm about to give up hope on this trees... Can they be watered to much? should i let them dry out between watering?

• ngkimhoa_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Hello everyone,
    I come from Vietnam. I have been here in Brisbane for one year and I really fall in love with jacaranda trees and its beautiful purple flowers. I really want to plant it in our own land in Vietnam. Please kindly advise me the places/ shops where they sell jacaranda seeds in Brisbane, Queensland, or whether there is any online shop to sell its seeds.
    Thank you very much in advance!

• b_kturrell_bigpond_com
    12 years ago

I want to plant our driveway with Jacaranda trees, I am wondering how far apart to space them?

• itsallthesame01_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have a few Jacarandas on the property I am living on and want to take some cuttings with me to my new house. Do the cuttings have to be small or can I take cuttings from little branches at the bottom of the tree that are maybe 60cm to 100cm?
    Any advice would be great(:

• moreton
    11 years ago

Hi Chelsea,

Jacarandas are pretty hard to grow from cuttings, may be better to get a new one or grow some more from seed.
    Sometimes they are hard to propagate so may be quicker to find a potted specimen. Good luck, Moreton

• brianbruning
    11 years ago

I want a white jacaranda. I will soon have magenta Jacaranda seeds to trade - Jacaranda curialis aka J. jasminoides. I'm in northern California. Any nurseries? Seeds? Grafts to sell or trade?

• funnelweb
    11 years ago

Unfortunately Jacarandas (J.mimosafolia) can be a bit suspect if you live in an area subject to strong winds. I live in northern NSW Australia, and recently the remains of cyclone 'Oswald' came through and did this:

• CaylieJ
    11 years ago

Link to article about White Christmas Jacaranda trees
    http://cayliejeffery.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/white-christmas-in-australia.html
    for Jacaranda lovers!
    Comments and stories about your own white jacaranda tree experiences welcomed!

Here is a link that might be useful: White Christmas in Australia

• KOOOEE
    9 years ago

Hello, I have a White Jacarandah tree that had 3 seed pods on it, they were fattenning up nicely.I went to a garden centre and asked them when do I pick them from the tree.She said wait till they go brown but dont wait till they open as the seed will fly away.But If I pick them too early the seeds won't develop inside so I must wait.I have looked at them every single day,now 1 of them has gone and I am on my hands and knees looking all through the garden almost crying.I was told I was so lucky to have a White Jacaranda tree that was not grafted and had seed pods.Should I pick the last 2 pods off before they disapear? Do birds take them? I didn't think it was windy enough to blow it away.The remaining 2 seed pods are still green but starting to look wrinkly,should I pick them now? I don't want to lose them too.I am putting pics up of the plump seed pod that has gone missing, a night time pic from 2008 of the tree and a day time pic lately.

• Arvind Garg
    8 years ago

After 3 successive failures : i have now learnt the art of germinating Jakaranda Seeds

• Lorraine Hill
    8 years ago

Thank goodness I found your page. My husband chopped my 8ft jacaranda off at the base so we could get our caravan in the front yard. The tree has grown back with a vengeance which I'm happy about and now has about 12 vertical shoot which grew very quickly and stand about 6ft tall. I would like to save the tree now that the van has another spot. What do I do with all the shoots. Do I save the best straightest one and chop the others off. Will this shoot grow into a tree or die after a while. Will there be problems with it when it gets big? Appreciate any advice.

• alisonoz_gw
    8 years ago

Lorraine I;m sorry to say this ... and so will everyone else still on the mailing list for this thread now 12 years old :-) who gets this follow up in their e-mail.

Anyway as I say, Lorraine, give it up. The death-throes growth of your Jacaranda will never make a specimen tree. Your tree is always going to have sappy weak branches, not the joyous look of a well grown jac. Give it the final chop, nuke the roots, and if you still want one, go find a nice grafted variety at a nursery.

• Lorraine Hill
    8 years ago

Thank you alisonoz. This is a long thread just goes to show how much we love jacarandas. Sad news about my jac shoots but thats ok will follow you advice and look for a healthy tree. Thanks again

• Shane
    7 years ago

shane

hi all. does anyone know where I can buy purple jacaranda trees in 100 L containers, in the Perth W.A. area. I would gratefully. Cheers

• ssuperfan99
    6 years ago

I have a juvenile jacaranda that is about 8 feet tall. It has one "whiplike" trunk, with a crown of leaves at the top. I have heard multiple recommendations about whether to trim (or top) to encourage branch spread or allow to continue to grow and branch on its own. Any recommendations?

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals