Liquid Amber removal

marcorussianJuly 15, 2004

About 6 months ago we removed a 12 meter liquid amber from our yard because we want to replace the area with citrus trees (blood orange, lemon & lime).

The stumb and most of the major roots were ground down and for the past 4 months we have had about 20 odd small shoots sprouting up all over the place.

My question is what is the best way to remove/stop these from coming up. I don't want these to hinder the citrus in any way once we plant them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moreton(Bris. Qld. Aust)

Hi Marcorussian, unfortunatley this is going to take a bit of time and effort as liquid amber is a great sucker, ( they sucker very easily and quite prolific) where ever there is a peice of root close to the ground surface they will send up a new shoot to the sky. This may happen in your yard, the neighbours also may get some as well.If possible drill some holes in the remaining root systems, that you can find and top with 50/50 tree kill and deisel or a 50/50 mix of roundup and water. Maybe take a while to clear it all up. Good luck. Peter r

Bookmark   July 17, 2004 at 3:41AM
sebd(VIC Aust)

I had a similar problem with suckers and it was very tiresome. I did the drill and kill regime too. Recently heard that a copper nail can do a kill but it may not be the immediate solution you need. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 25, 2004 at 7:46AM
Robert_NSW(NSW Aust)

Copper nails are hugely overated and dangerous. Imagine what it would be like for some unsuspecting person with a chainsaw when cutting it down? If it is suckers you want to get rid of, you would need a hell of a lot of copper nails.

Bookmark   July 26, 2004 at 12:42AM
More Discussions
Shrub recommendations please -difficult spot
Is anyone able to suggest a shrub for a difficult spot?...
anotherliv
What time of year to prune fruit trees
Hey all, just need some advice, I've just recently...
redoutback
Propagating tuckeroo from seed
I know that Tuckeroo trees do self seed in some areas...
Sue
Wet soil - what tree?
I have an area that gets run-off. I can't improve the...
jassy01
Advice wanted: Health concern for Hakea laurina
Hello all - I'm new to the forum, but have read many...
Cytokinin
Sponsored Products
LBL Gray Opal Glass 15" Dahling LED Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Round Transparent Countertop Soap Dispenser
TheBathOutlet
23" Miletos Plug-In Towel Warmer - Oil Rubbed Bronze
Signature Hardware
Marine Glass Coffee Table Deep Sea Blue
Italy Design
elizabethW Collection Lavender Hand Wash
$24.50 | FRONTGATE
Campania International Fritz The Dachshund Dog Cast Stone Garden Statue - A-338-
$469.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™