Ornamental Chilli

carol_af, Australia(Zone 11, Nth Qld)July 26, 2005

Does anyone know if the fruit of ornamental chillies are edible?

Most chillies that I am familiar with are annuals. These are perenniel bushes covered in very small red fruits. I have been told that they are the very hot chilli, but I would like confirmation that they are edible before using any in cooking.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
totora

Hi Carol,
I've been told that all chillis are edible.In Aust most chillis are annuals due to our cold winters

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 10:45PM
Spatzbear(SA Aust)

You can easily overwinter chillies. Just protect them from the cold (frost) in winter. I have most of my chillies in pots that I put in my unheated greenhouse. In spring I put them outside so that they can enjoy the sun and heat again.

Some of the plants are now already 2-3 years old. :)

Sorry, can't help you with your original question about edibility.

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 10:55PM
carol_af, Australia(Zone 11, Nth Qld)

Many thanks for your replies.

I previously lived in southern NSW, hence I'm used to chilli plants acting more like annuals come winter. I now live in tropical Queensland (love the climate!). The plants are doing fine outdoors.

What confused me was a local nursery selling chilli plants labelled as ornamentals, which I recognised as the bushes growing in my garden. I did a Hortiplex search before my original post to this forum and the chilli plants came up as Capsicum annum, with numerous cultivars. Between this and your replies I feel certain that they will be safe to eat.

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 3:44AM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

I don't know of any which aren't edible.

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 10:28PM
Glasshopper

I treat all my chillies and capsicums as perennials. I have one chilli (Purple Pride from Eden Seeds) that will be 4 years old in Spring. It is covered in fruit and looking healthy and strong. It spent its first year in a pot but has been in the same spot more than two years now. We even had a genuine frost in Perth this winter but two eggplants and all my chillies made it no problems. Not sure what I am doing right. Good healthy soil, nice northerly aspect and regular weak doses of seaweed fertiliser perhaps?

As for edible ornamentals, I treat all my chillies as ornamentals too! I love the look of them. I am sure the "ornamental" varieties are safe to eat. But even though I love hot chillies, those little ones are nasty little buggers and often too hot for practical use.

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 9:08AM
Glasshopper

Correction: Purple Delight from Eden Seeds.

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 8:09PM
smegals_hotmail_com

i too have bought an ornamental chillie plant and it had a tug that said not to be consumed.. i also have a normal chillie plant but since moving i have mixed up which one is which and so also would like to know if the ornamental one can be eaten? perhaps they have no flavour??

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 12:23AM
carol_af, Australia(Zone 11, Nth Qld)

The ornamental chilies I have turned out to be Bird's Eye Chillies. Very, very hot but edible. I use them in cooking.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 2:31AM
More Discussions
Healthy Container Nectarine Dropping Leaves
Hi guys, would love your thoughts. I have a nectarine...
naikii
Crosne
Hello fellow gardeners, can anyone tell me where i...
purplegramy
Broccoli question
Hey guys I'm hoping to get some help with my broccoli...
jimbob17
My New Large Leaf Jaboticaba Purple 2.5M
Hello all. This week I ordered a Jaboticaba large leaf...
JasonsFigs
Diatomaceous earth
I understand that diatomaceous earth is useful for...
Maki
Sponsored Products
American Rug Craftsmen Shaggy Vibes Woodblock Hot Fudge Rug (10' x 14')
Overstock.com
Set of Four Small Off-White Crystal Yarn Ball Ornaments
$49.00 | FRONTGATE
Campania International Lunar Moth Cast Stone Garden Statue - A-395-AL
$34.99 | Hayneedle
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Monterey 34 in. Table Lamp in Bronze wit
Home Depot
'Teachers Have Class' Personalized Ornament
$13.99 | zulily
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. San Juan 30 in. White Table Lamp with Ar
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™