Can you grow day lilys and Gladioli from seeds.

mistymorn(Brisbane.S.E.Qld..)December 7, 2004

I have noticed a lot of my daylily stems have these big seed pods on them

Can I harvest and plant them later, do I let them dry on the stems

also notice when I pulled a dead flower from a Glady that they have seed pods there too

They are in a vase, can I plant them too those seeds or do I need

to leave the flower stalk on the plant and harvest the seeds later,

and when would be the best time to plant them if you can.

MM.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annabel__WA(z3 W Australia)

Dayliles most definitely!! Even down here I have grown from seed. Not all the seedlings survived, but that's my soil and wind as much as anything. Gladioli I think some because I've seen seed offered on the Australian Bulb site.

Bookmark   December 7, 2004 at 10:33PM
mistymorn(Brisbane.S.E.Qld..)

Thanks very so much annabel, what a wonderful way to
increase my lilys, and I will give the Gladioli seeds a go
too that will be fantastic if they germinate.

MM.

Bookmark   December 8, 2004 at 4:37AM
wombat

You will find that your daylily seedlings probably won't be like the parent plant. But you might produce something spectacular and new.

I have quite a few daylilies - some never produce seed.

Bookmark   December 8, 2004 at 3:17PM
happyjacq_bris(Brisbane Austra)

Thats great I have seed pods galore. Do they take a long time to flower? Do I let them dry out in the garden and then pick the seed pods or should I just let nature take its course and drop themselves?

Bookmark   December 8, 2004 at 6:48PM

That will be great Wombat, as I only have six types at present so different
colours will be a Bonus. .....MM

Bookmark   December 8, 2004 at 6:50PM
Anna_B(Sydney, NSW)

I have only recently been bitten by the daylily bug and in just a short period I have acquired 25, some named and some unnamed. I'm amazed at the vast number of daylilies available, one nursery offers over 800!

Sounds fascinating growing them from seed and once mine become more established I'll give it a go.

Bookmark   December 9, 2004 at 7:00AM
Liatris(FraserCoast,Qld)

You need to let your daylily seeds ripen on the plant. Keep an eye out for the pods beginning to split, and then they can be harvested.

Pop them in a paper bag or envelope in the fridge for 6 weeks, and then either direct sow them into pots or the garden where they are to grow, or for better germination, put them into a ziplock bag with BARELY damp peat moss in a warm spot, away from direct sun ( on top of the fridge works well).

Keep an eye on them, and as they start to germinate, gently remove them and carefully plant them, just barely covering. Then just seal up your bag again with the remaining ungerminated seeds and return them to their warm spot.

I put them into tubes - they're not there for long, and I don't know if this step is really necessary, but for the extra step in potting, it reduces the risk of the baby plants rotting.

Bookmark   December 9, 2004 at 3:45PM

Thanks for all that info, that was what I really wanted I had a look yesterday at them ( between showers ) and there are lots more pods from different colours, will they ripen in this weather, anyway I will have a go. Cheers.....MM.

Bookmark   December 9, 2004 at 7:40PM
happyjacq_bris(Brisbane Austra)

How long do they take to flower? Do they flower the following year?

Bookmark   December 18, 2004 at 8:03AM
Sparaxis(Vic Aust)

Yes to both. Daylilies can bloom in the very next year, but usually take 2 years. Glads would take longer I would think. Perhpas 3 years, for the corm to reach flowering size, maybe more.

Bookmark   January 20, 2005 at 7:54PM
alisonoz_gw

I have just purchased some day-lily seed, the grower's advice re the baggie method was the same as Liatris and I had a few germinate within days and the rest following suit at an alarming (but satisfying) rate. Wish I'd read this thread before but by coincidence I also used tubes and have put them in a styrene box in filtered light until I see some leaves. Very exciting, and I'd like to know how MM's went?

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 3:06AM

Hi Alison my Day Lily seeds went really well five out of six, they all came up but a Ibis got into them.
I did the above six weeks in the fridge then planted them all in to the one pot on Feb 27.......MM

This is them today.

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 6:37PM
alisonoz_gw

Lovely. And being a sticky-beack, I notice the frangis in the background so there is going to be a lovely perfumed forest of those?

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 3:00AM

I will not be smelling them Alison I have seven now thats enough.
I just grow them and give them away the Franipani are all going down to Melbourne
In four weeks and are free to anyone that wants them. Just hope they survive......MM

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 6:05AM
More Discussions
Alstroemeria propagation
I have collected lots of Alstroemeria seeds but cannot...
domeman
WANTED: sweet pea seeds
If anyone has any sweet pea seeds that they are willing...
brendan84
Growing dahlias in the tropics
We live in the highlands of Papua New Guinea. Our elevation...
gweni_hetzel
Looking for pink agapanthus sellers in Perth
I am searching for pink agapanthus in Perth with no...
jemmers
euphorbia
hi My euphorbia wulfenii(adelaide) are flowering well...
amarcus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™