Why is my lavender going yellow?

Emma_LFebruary 19, 2005

I am fairly new to gardening and need some advice.

About 2 years ago, I planted a row of lavender and they have flourished. They have finished flowering and beeing very busy I have only just managed to trim them back. However, I have noticed that the leaves have started to turn yellow.

Is this because I have been late in cutting them back, or could there be something else wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robyn5760

It is not because you cut them back - I have cut them at all times of the year and they don't go yellow. Sounds like a soil deficiency or an over supply of fertilizer? Too acid or too alkaline - do a search on google and see what comes up.

Robyn

Bookmark   February 19, 2005 at 10:44PM
meggs

It would be too acid, lavenders love lime.

Bookmark   February 22, 2005 at 8:34AM
muddy_boot

sounds to me like excessive amounts of water in the root zone.cut back all of the foliage and refrain from watering until you see the regrowth appear. lavender also is infected by two different types of fungi each attacking either the upper or lower leaf surface. if some of the growth has a smoky appearance prior to turning yellow it is propably a fungal problem. in both cases cut back the plant,remove watering and spray with a fungicide.this is a common problem especially during wet /humid weather when you have a lot of trapped humidity from the moist soil around the plants foliage.you may also try removing alternate bushes in the row to assist in aeration.

Bookmark   March 25, 2005 at 7:15PM
More Discussions
Can you help identify this turf?
Hi, My wife and I recently bought our first home and...
mudtoy
Lawn Identification
Hi all, I'm a fairly young and budding gardening......
pranachan
tiger grass fuzzles bad near pool?
Hi, I am getting mixed info on tiger grass - maybe...
kirilisa
WANTED: Frangipane cuttings
I was wondering if anyone has some larger frangipane...
pepino
Please help with identification of this tree
Can anyone tell me what the name of this tree is? Thanks...
perotti_adl123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™