SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thejacdanandjetshow

Growing Frangipani

Could anyone tell me the correct way of striking a frangipani tree from a cutting. I would also like to know if you can grow a frangipani tree from brisbane climate in Melbourne. I am interested in the yellow and white variety as well as the pink and white variety. Thanks, Jac

Comments (97)

• brigitte
    18 years ago

Have read with immense interest how to grow frangipanis, so far sadly have not been very successful. After the two week dry-out period in what kind of soil (in a pot) would I plant the dried cuttings and how often would I water them to start out, totally soak them through or just dampen the soil a bit?
    Thank you
    brigitte

• goldhills
    18 years ago

Frangialex, nearly any size cuttings will grow from about 15cms up to a couple of metres.

Brigitte, use a free draining mix and water to settle in then allow to dry out before watering again. Frangis don't like to be kept wet. Less in winter when deciduous.

• Related Discussions

Stem at soil line turning pale

Q

Comments (1)
    It depends on what you mean by pale. Most of mine develop almost a white/grey color near the soil line. As the plant matures, there is less green near the soil, whereas the tips remain green. A sign of a good cutting that will likely root is one with the grey color at the base. All green cutting have less success rooting. If yours is not as I describe, let us know. Mike
    ...See More

Growing Frangipanis in Melbourne in Victoria

Q

Comments (3)
    As Karyn said, plumies cannot take freezing weather or hard frosts. You are heading into winter so the leaves will yellow and drop off. The bare stems need no water or a mist on the soil until they start growing claws for you around the end of September or early October. Bring them out when the danger of frost is gone and give them some epsoms salts and water to wake them up. Follow with high phosphorus fertilizer every two weeks which you stop (in the southern Hemi) about Feb or March so the plant can harden up for your winter. If your temperatures do not get below 4C you can leave outside. If colder you need to cover with frost cloth if short frosts or bring inside for the winter. Bill
    ...See More

wrinkled

Q

Comments (7)
    Federal_Hill, wrinkled stems means the plant is not uptaking enough water and some of the stems shrivel because they lose more moisture than they uptake from the roots. Either the roots are rotted or the soil mix loses its moisture too fast or the plant is not watered enough. I had a similar problem with large plumerias planted in 25-gallon pots. I watered them every day and still some of the stems were wrinkled. What was causing it was the soil mix. It was too sandy and did not retain enough moisture. I repotted the plants in the same pot but used a soil mix that retained a lot of moisture (with 50% perlite and pumice). The wrinkled stems problem went away (maintained the same watering schedule as before). If I was you I would check the roots first to make sure they are not rotted. Then I would re-pot adding a lot of perlite and pumice to the mix. George
    ...See More

seedling frangipani

Q

Comments (5)
    Yes same here sometimes I am just too tired to walk up the steps or the ramp to get that special marker. I have never tried to grow frangipani, been tempted though but think hey just stick a cutting in. Well done Rose..Will it grow to be a pink one I wonder, I guess you will let us know later. A healthy looking seedling......Cheers..MM.
    ...See More
  • mistymorn
    18 years ago

Frangialex..... Any pot will do, though dont you think the ceramic ones look better.

Hi Brigitte...You may have better luck if you put a post on the US Plumeria Site, as you will have to overwinter yours so have a look at the link below. And do as GH suggested but remember they are a Tropical Plant.

Have a look at this site also Plumeria 101 a great website to learn all about Plumeria (Frangipani)
    Cheers....MM.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumeria

• azzansw
    18 years ago

Hi there, I have taken cuttings from serveral frangipanis all of which have taken root. One was a lovely pink and was so delightful I decided to bring it inside for some colour. It sat on a very bright windowsill flowering happily. It received the same amount of water as its friends on the other side of the fly screen, but then it started to get small white dots on the middle of the leaves which then spread to the rest of the leaf. Is this a disease or pest? Does somebody know it and if so how does one fix it? Or is it just because it was inside? Any help or ideas you can provide would be greatly appreciated as it is a beautiful plant and it would be a shame to lose it. Thank you very much for your time and I eagerly look forward to hearing from you. Cheers Aaron.

• mistymorn
    18 years ago

HI Aaron....I would put it outside it is not a indoor plant that may be why you are having the problems, also do not water it very much, could be mealybugs indoor plants seem to get them from not much air movement I realise that yours is on a windowsill but is the window open.

Do have a look at the link below it should help......Cheers..MM.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumeria Problems

• abbeynz
    18 years ago

Six years ago I planted a 6" frangipani cutting into a pot.I am in Auckland NZ which I think has a similar climate to Melbourne.I keep my plant inside all winter then out onto the deck during the summer but am very watchful of the weather.My plant flowered the 1st year and finally has buds on it again now,I'd almost given up hope of seeing flowers again.I now have a metre high stick with leaves out of the top and was wondering if theres any way of producing branches?

• mistymorn
    18 years ago

Hi I have put Plenty of links up above,
    Tons of Info click on and have a read....MM.

• magenta_rose
    18 years ago

Hello all!

Ive been a frangipani fan from way back, but am a newbie to gardening and I have taken a cutting from my mothers tree and dried it for a week and a bit and plan to try and strike it in a pot... the cutting i have has leaves all on the end of it.. should i prune these off? I have "pot and peat" soil at home which i was going to use to plant it in.. do you think i should use any extra fertilizer? and should i water it when i first plant it??

sorry if i sound silly... i'm a gardening virgin!!

• suede
    18 years ago

Hi! I'm new to cutting. Is the stem of the Frangipani soft or hard? Do I just use a pair of scissors or is there a specific tool? Also, can the branch have leaves or should it be leafless? Thanks all!

• aisummers
    18 years ago

Gee wiz i had to scroll forever to get to the bottom of this page. I have the bug to but i brought all mine. Ihave them all over my backyard. I was also told they were easy to take cuttings from but when i tried i didnt know i had to let them dry out first so they didny take off. I have got clay soil and they seem to grow just fine in my backyard.
    Now that i know about drying them im off to take some more cuttings

• zebidee
    17 years ago

Hi there, I have recently moved house and have inherited a mature (2.5m) Frangipani tree with possible "stem rot".
    The plant was moved 1.5 years ago by the previous owners.
    The top 15cm of growth is fine then growth is "spongy" for approx 10cm and then below this the growth is fine again.
    Now I have recently transplanted the same tree again!
    I do not know if I should prune off the "spongy" bits (is this stem rot from the previous move?). The plant is now dormant with a few very small leaves left at the tips.
    Should I prune it back to below the "spongy" areas? If so, can I prune it now in winter?
    Any information is appreciated, thanks!

• angie_c
    17 years ago

I have a frangipani branch that has broken off and the end has dried. Should I make a clean cut and let it dry again or pot it as is?
    Thanks for any help, AC

• cestrum
    17 years ago

AC, the rule of thumb is to cut the end off neatly and then let it dry to avoid root rot. But, as yours has already dried off, I think it should be OK to plant as is. Just remember to keep it very dry until the growing season starts (ie the days and nights get warm).

Zebidee, I would prune off the spongy bits because they have rotted and will spread thru the plant unless removed. Then let the stems dry off good and proper before potting up.

Suede, the stem shouldn't be soft or sponge-like, as this means it's rotting. Any such soft bits should be pruned off. (Then let the stem dry out before potting.) Absence or presence of leaves doesn't matter (I think, but refer to the links mentioned below).

Check out the links in mistymorn's message dated 17 Jan 06 for a storehouse of info on growing frangipanis.

• lolly9999
    17 years ago

I have just bought a Frangipani Obtusa and would like to know how tall it grows in comparison to the common Frangipani

• hannah_821
    17 years ago

i got a cutting from a fangipani last year, let it dry out but it never grew. so this year i got another cutting on holidays and just shoved it in a pot with some soil. it has been growing ever since. that was in january. i ignored the experts and i worked!!!!

• heyjuuude
    17 years ago

I've seen a couple of beautiful, heavily flowering yellow and white frangipanis growing in Melbourne, one in Richmond.

I'm going to try a cutting, as I'd love to have one in my garden.

If in a pot, remember you can then move it around to catch the sun, especially in winter.

They have them for sale in medium sized pots at Bunnings for about $15 (cheaper to DIY!).

Jude

• ashalee91
    17 years ago

hi guys,
    i love frangipani's but i would like to know what colour varietys there are, as i really would like to get one of each. :) if you can help me please post it on this forum, as i don't check for emails, i just use the address to register for this sort of thing. thanks
    xoxo ashalee

• pizzabailey13
    16 years ago

Hi,
    There are so many different colored Frangipani's to list. If you go on line you can find and buy different colors and frangrances. I use to have a few websites that sold them and at decent prices. Stokes Tropical and Maui Plumeria Gardens are some sites (which I got off of Dave's Garden forum). I live in Ocala Florida and have been growing mine for a few years. Just before winter a pod appeared and I certa knew what it was, but wasn't sure. A few days ago, part of it opened up exposing seeds. YEA... If anyone has any advice on planting them, it would be appreciated.... Im also thinking about planting my tree in the ground near my house and keeping it small. And during the winters covering it up. I use to live in Miami and they grow huge down there. In the winters they still loose there flowers and leaves, and look like a big stick. But in the spring and summer look amazing.... Sorry to carry on. Im really getting into my yard this year. Every year I get into a new plant or flower. This year my choice is Lilies. Ok, again sorry about writing on and on. Jennie

• cestrum
    16 years ago

The Plumeria 101 site will give you all the info needed for growing these plants from seed (several earlier messages in this posting contain the URL link).

• greenlara
    16 years ago

Hi,
    We have just planted a 2metre frangipani cutting straight into ground. Because it was dry (not leaking any sap) we did not leave it to dry out before planting. Was this a big mistake?

Also, it is in a garden that has a drip irrigation system that operates twice a week. It is not much water but will it be too much for a new cutting during winter?

Many thanks
    Lara

• cestrum
    16 years ago

Planting the cutting straight into the ground when it didn't leak any sap should be OK. You'll have to decide whether the spot you've chosen is satisfactory (enough warmth and sun through winter)--a look at how other people in your area are growing frangipanis should answer that question. Sydney generally should be OK, unless you live in a frost-prone area or have planted it in a shaded or wet spot.

The irrigation system could be problematic, though, as twice-weekly watering of even a rooted frangipani during winter (even a Sydney winter) could lead to root rot; doing so for an unrooted cutting could easily kill it. So I think you might need to replant it elsewhere, or turn off the drippers near the frangipani.

• ardy
    16 years ago

Hi everyone
    I'm new with this plant, got hooked and want to buy some plants with different colours(from ebay) , prefer strong colour eg. red, dark pink, gold, etc. I live in Sydney.
    Could you please give me some advices, can frangipani with those colour survive in my place?
    Looking forward to your advice
    Thanks
    Ardy

• cestrum
    16 years ago

Ardy, check out the links in the previous postings. As a general rule, the fancy coloured ones seem to be more frost-sensitive than the common yellow-and-white one. However, if you can give them a warm spot protected from any frost (and possibly cold winds), you should have a good chance of growing the fancy ones too. If in doubt, grow them in pots against a warm (say) brick wall for radiated heat.

I guess where you live in Sydney will determine how cold your winters are and the particular microclimate/s in your garden. You should take a walk around your neighbourhood and see if others are growing frangipanis, and in what position the plants are being grown. When living in Melb, I grew mine in large pots, but those close to the ocean or in inner suburbs with a lot of radiated heat could grow them in the ground (although these were often grown under the protection of eaves). My advice is to start off with one, nurture it through an entire year and then, if it survives, go wild and buy all the colours your heart desires and your wallet can afford!

• ardy
    16 years ago

Hi Cestrum thank you
    I thought nobody read this topic anymore(too old?).
    Yes as your advice I looked around my place they are all light colour most of them white or very light pink colour, so I doubt if the strong colour one could grow well(I have read the comment above). Some of the plants still with leaves(light pink colour)and flowers at this time.And I have surveyed all nurseries and they don't have any those colour, and surprised me the frangipani with 1 meter tall it will cost you $300!!! Why not just get a big cutting rather than buy it? Anyway as your suggestion I bought some cuttings with strong colour and see what will happen, wish me luck.Thank you

• cestrum
    16 years ago

Sometimes the colours available are simply a reflection of the limited range grown by the wholesale nurseries rather than what will actually grown in a given area. $300 is a ridiculous price. (Frangipanis grow quickly in warm weather, although they go dormant in the cold--another reason that makes that price tag ridiculous.) Good luck with your cuttings--at least some of them should survive.

• ashalee91
    16 years ago

hi guys,
    ihave planted two frangipani's in a large pot, right in the centre next to each other. one is red, and the other is a nice orangey colour. if anyone knows, do you think this will work, or should i take them oout, and plant them seperatley?

• mistymorn
    16 years ago

Yes take them out and plant separately as they grow big as in very large shrub/ small tree size.

• ashalee91
    16 years ago

thanks. i might leave them though, just to see if it works, and if they start looking unhealthy, ou whatnot, then i'll seperate them.
    but thanks for your info

• spiiper
    16 years ago

I just caught the frangipani bug myself and got myself a 1 m cutting. Thanks to this forum here I know exactly what to do with it, however, when I was looking around, I noticed something funny... My neighbour has a huge and bushy tree, it has not yet got leaves or even proper buds, yet he had snipped the tips off almost every branch, just about 1 cm. What's all that about? I tried to search the web about snipping frangipanis but couldn't find anything. Is that something that is done to make the tree grow bushier; will the tree sprout new branches out of the snipped tips rather than leaves and flowers? Just curious...

Oh, I'm pretty sure it's the standard yellow and white frangipani he has, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for enlightening me on this mystery!:-)

• zordak
    16 years ago

I have recently planted a 2 metre frangipani I rescued from the neighbours rubbish, it's started sprouting leaves at the top , however the rest of the trunk is bare which looks rather ungainly (the branches look like they have been snapped off at some point)Are new branches likely to grow along the trunk eventually? Or would it be better to simply cut it in half and replant the top piece?

Thanks
    John

• cestrum
    16 years ago

I think it's unlikely to sprout branches along the lower length of the trunk. Is that a problem? I have many small frangipanis in pots that I would dearly love to assume the shape of a standard (tall branchless trunk with a spreading canopy at the top). Your plant will probably look quite lovely when the canopy has had a chance to spread and balance the tree.

But, if you dislike it, you can certainly cut it to the desired height and replant the top. If you have the space, you could leave the rooted (bottom, canopy-less) portion in the ground in the hope that--with the canopy removed--it might sprout some new growth from the trunk.

• ashalee91
    16 years ago

hi guys,
    i know that i completley disregarded your advice when i asked about my frangipanis in the pot, but i have to say i am glad i did.....
    why? you may ask. this is because they are aboiut to start flowering, and look really good. one of them has a red flower, and the other an orange!
    the pot they are in is huge too, so they have pleanty og room to grow.....

thanks for sharing your knoweledge with all who view this site!!!
    and i was wondering if it is possible to get a blue frangipani?????
    if any one knows about this, or about any other unusual coloured frangipanis, please post it, so that i can get my info!!!

thanks guys xx

• mistymorn
    16 years ago

Are they dwarf evergreens that only grow to 120cms. Oh know you said they were red and orange so they are just the common ones. Wait till they grow bigger I have some 3mts tall like small trees you may have to get bigger pots or perhaps plant them in the garden later, or keep pruning.

There are plenty of Plumeria websites on the www why don't YOU do a search for colours.

• adelaidean
    16 years ago

Hi all,

I think I was born with the bug. I wanted to know a couple of things about growing frangipanis from cuttings.

What time of year is best to plant cuttings? I'm in Adelaide in the middle of hot summer.

Should I strip the leaves off the cutting prior to drying out or prior to planting?

Thanks all, very useful forum.

• swillow
    16 years ago

Ashalee, have a look at sacredgardenfrangipanis. They have loads - I couldn't believe it, there's a stunning lilac one, though incredibly expensive and very rare! You can always check out ebay - I've never seen blue ones on there, but have bought a number of cuttings from Nth QLD and they work great.

Adelaidean, wouldn't hurt you to read the Plumeria 101 site which answers quite a few of the base questions. Warm is always best for striking frangipanis, hot summer is fine, humidity is even better. Don't strip the leaves off though. It's just to dry out the end so that it doesn't rot when planted in the soil.

Cheers.

• akhila_pokkuluri_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

The craze must have died down, as no one has written in here for a while?

Thank you for all this priceless information. Sad that I dont know anyone who has a tree in their yard. So I'll have to buy one.

I grew up around Frangipani trees and never took notice of them. We moved to Australia and soon I started to miss their unique scent and vibrant colours.

Now I know where to start and how to go about growing Frangipani trees. Thank you all.

• grahambkk
    15 years ago

Hi
    I live in Bangkok, Thailand and have several frangipanis in pots on my balconies though 2 have died (rotted). From reading this column I reckon I over-watered them. How often should they be watered? Is there a rule of thumb?
    The survivors have grown "leggy", have few flowers, and there are few, rather yellowy, leaves on them. New leaves seem to struggle to grow and the small red shoots often shrivel up and drop off before they properly emerge at the end of the trunks.
    I definitely need to prune them back to their original, more compact, shape but we do not really have winter here so when should I do it?
    Also, should I feed them any fertiliser?
    Any tips and advice would be very welcome as I really love these plants.

• ginia1963
    14 years ago

I have a frangipani growing in a pot and I live right on Jervis Bay on the Sth coast. Its about to experience its second winter. The plant is doing really well, with lots of healthy leaves and a strong stem. I've been feeding it with small amounts of blood and bone and sulphate of potash (like the rest of my garden) and it seems quite happy with that. My question: I've yet to see a flower! Not even a hint! Also, from the trunk I have two branches. It doesnt seem at all inclined to branch out any more and looks much like a slingshot with lots of leaves on the ends :)This plant is quite perverse as it keeps its leaves all winter long and drops them briefly just before spring.

Do I just have a stubborn and unique plant or am I doing something wrong lol?

• b_jaglady_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I live in Craigieburne Victoria and I love the frangipani flowers and would like to plant a few in our garden and was wondering whether it will survive or not. I was thinking of planting it in an area 3x3 metres and this area is protected by the colour bond fence. Can someone please advice

• Deanna_nicholson_13_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I have recently planted frangipani cuts off into pots they started off ok now are starting to die, any ideas to how I can save them or what I may be doin wrong, I have them in the sun and water them regularly

• aciacca_bigblue_net_au
    13 years ago

Hi all,

I live in the northwest 'burbs of melbourne and wanted to know if anyone has had success in striking a frangipani and then having it grow to tree height....say 3 metres??I haven't planted one yet, but am considering this tree as a low maintenance option to provide shade poolside. Also, does anyone know if they have really invasive root systems...like weeping willows do?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Nicole

• neil39_optusnet_com_au
    13 years ago

In June this year, a friend gave me a 12 inch cutting and said pot in sandy soil in Oct. By then it felt partly soft like it was rotting, but I placed it in a new large pot with 2/3 sand and 1/3 potting mix behind a clear plastic screen facing North. Nothing happened for months and now it has over 20 leaves to 2 inches long.I water about once a week and occasionaly a little Seasol.
    I live in Melbourne and the original cutting looked no better than a dry stick. It has now fattened up and I am looking forward to some flowers.

• sharonsutton_webmail_co_za
    13 years ago

when does the frangipani flower?what time of the year and how long does it last?

• jimmyjo972_hotmail_co_uk
    13 years ago

hi i want to know how big do frangipani's grow normally and will they grow here in england or is it too cold for them here thnx

• vikrantsingh
    12 years ago

I live in Brisbane and i have had a frangipani for 5 years now and still not flowering it is in a pot can any1 help

• Chattykathy_bellsouth_net
    12 years ago

Why am I not getting flowers on my Frangi Panni's
    I have 2, both in pots. One I planted from a clipping 3 years ago. I get beautiful leaves, looks Healthy, but never got any flowers. The second was given to me 4 my B day, a year ago and i was told it had flowers on it, but by the time I got it they had fallen off, nothing yet this year. What is a good fertilizer. Also repotted today in bigger pots. HELP, Love the frangi Panni, our neighbors tree is beautiful, can't wait to see my own flowers on mine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Elle19
    12 years ago

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP.............I have Frangipani that has 4 wonderful branches that range from 60 cm to 30 cm with really big healthy Leaves.... HOWEVER MY DILEMMA IS ... The height of the tree is only 60cm.....and growing in the ground.....with a trunk size of about 4cm...........and branch diameters of 2cm..............HOW DO I MAKE MY BEAUTIFUL FRANGIPANI GROW TALLER...??? HELP........Kindest Regards Elle

• Susan2011
    11 years ago

I have just planted a frangipani bought from a nursery into a large pot placed in the surrounds of our spa area (glassed on two sides, wood screen 2 sides, no roof). After some heavy rain, the only 3 leaves it had yellowed and dropped off. Is this too much water? Would it help to take it inside for the winter? Thank you in advance.

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

I am part of the Plumeria forum as someone mentioned above...i recon if we all migrate over there then there will be alot more australians and we can all help each other as well as the americans...its great to see all their plants and get knowledge off them but you are right its not the same as getting good ol local advice :)

Sponsored