Hoping for an ID please

oldnodJune 11, 2014

My mistake, sorry

This post was edited by nod123 on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 3:39

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisonoz_gw

Crossandra infundibuliformis, what a mouthful! A really delightful colourful plant

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 2:07AM
oldnod

Thanks Alison, your good.

See if I can grow this from seed.

Nod

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 2:25AM
funnelweb

Yes, crossandra infundibuliformis, also sometimes referred to as the 'Firecracker plant' on account of its habit of exploding the seeds from their capsules with a slight crack during rain or when watering. A pretty thing in flower on display in Bunnings where I bought it 3 or 4 seasons ago, and when the flowers were spent I was amazed at the way it distributed its seed - by a slight explosion, a crack as the pods burst open and scattered the seeds up to 2 metres or more whenever it rained or when I watered with the hose. The next season the bloomin' things were coming up everywhere and the following season again they were outstripping the weeds! Through this last spring/ summer I've been pulling them out from gardens far and wide from the original planting, even from deep underneath dense bushes and even today, the beginning of winter, I yanked out a few more. Sorry folks, I regard it as a weed, a pretty weed but a weed nevertheless that takes constant vigilance to eradicate.
B.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 3:47AM
More Discussions
tiger grass fuzzles bad near pool?
Hi, I am getting mixed info on tiger grass - maybe...
kirilisa
Adenia Heterophylla
Hi, I grew some adenia heterophylla (lacewing vine)...
OzBec
Sausage Tree Fruit Sydney Central coast area
Hello All. I am trying to obtain Sausage Tree fruit...
Gonguana
Help ID plant disease
Hi, I need help ID'ing this disease. It has spread...
simleal
Potash on Crowea Saligna
Hello all, I'm a first time poster to any kind of gardening...
gumboot_gumshoe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™