SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
evoluke

A couple of worm farm questions

evoluke
16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I bought a worm farm a few months ago, in the first few weeks I noticed I was getting quite alot of worm wee however now there is not much at all. I'm assuming it is probably evaporating due to the high temps we have here in Mannum South Australia but am curious as to whether it could be something else. It also seems to be taking a long time for the second layer to become filled with castings, I started off with 2000 worms and the instructions stated that within 3 months the 2nd layer should be about full but it probably isn't even half. i'm probably just being impatient. Is there anything other than wormed dog poo that could kill the worms, as i have no real way of telling if my worms are multiplying, i have seen small eggs and small worms but to look at I cannot see an increase in numbers. Also are their more favourable foods for worms? mine seem to really love watermelon, but apples they take for ages to get through. i've also been using soaked paper to cover them with but am constantly having to put water over it to keep it moist, would a hessian bag be better and if so, where can i get one from. also is putting in excess food bad, in the end the worms will still eat it won't they? sorry for the big essay but my kids and i are obsessed with our worm farm.

regards Luke

Comments (4)