SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_vic

Cardamom

Jan_Vic
21 years ago

Couldn't resist buying a cardamom plant at a local market recently. Has anyone had a cardamom flower and set seed in Victoria? I was thinking it could be similar to ornamental gingers as far as climate requirements go?

Comments (21)

• Daisyduckworth
    21 years ago

Cardamom is very much a tropical plant. Even where I live in the sub-tropics, it will never flower or set seed. Nor will it do so even in ideal climatic conditions if it's kept in a pot. In Victoria, you've got no hope! But don't let that worry you. The leaves have the same flower as the pods and seeds, and are beautifully aromatic. Use them to serve rice on, or wrap some around fish before baking etc.

• Jan_Vic
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks D, I'll give the leaves a try. Cardamom is one of my favourite flavours, the first recipe I was given using the ground seed, was in Norway for a type of sweet fruit bread called Julekake or Christmas Cake, which is eaten all year round and is very popular. These days I use it more in spicy Asian dishes.

Would love to see it in a more friendly habitat!

• sooze
    21 years ago

Gotta disagree with Daisyd..... it can surprise you in a very sheltered environment - I have had a cardamon in Sydney for years and it has never flowered on my side of the fence, but I was keeping my neighbour's garden watered last Christmas and guess what the cardamon had invaded her side of the fence and because it was in more sun than mine it was flowering..! I really flipped, as she couldn't care less and I was desparate to have it flowering on my side. Just goes to show what a microclimate can do. Never give up, but Jan you may be pushing it down there.

• Jan_Vic
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks Sooze, you might have guessed that I was still hoping! ;) I've planted it in a corner bed where there's an espaliered apple tree growing on the fence, so it's very sheltered and facing NW. I'll be watching it and keeping fingers crossed.

Been a strange summer season here so far, not a lot of heat despite the lack of rain, and more like autumn at the moment with cool evenings and mornings and warm to hot afternoons. Looks like it's warming up again though.

• sooze
    21 years ago

Atta girl, sounds like its got special treatment and even if you only get lovely leaves, it gives a very tropical look,it smells great to brush against and the leaves will flavour stuff as daisyd....says.

Cheers sooze

• noddy
    21 years ago

crack the seed pods and put in black cofee - proper expresso not instant

• PEBBLES1
    21 years ago

Will it flower and set seed here - I'm in SEQld - frosts are very unusual in my neck of the woods!! Where would I buy it?? From Mandy

• scubamid
    20 years ago

I have just joined the garden web and found this post. I love cardamom after having lived in the Middle East for 4 yrs. Have never checked out how it grows so can someone enlighten me? Might be worth trying.
    I love to crack 4 cardamom seeds and put in my tea (I have a huge cup) - definitely a ME tradition. In Saudi you can buy Lipton tea bags with the cardamom flavour. Fantastic also in rice pudding.
    Cheers
    Judy

• Daisyduckworth
    20 years ago

Sooze may be the best person to ask! But here's my information anyway. The leaves will burn if it's kept in sun, especially SEQld.

Rich, slightly acidic soil with excellent drainage. Needs frequent watering. Grow in shade, or partial shade, protected from wind. In temperate climates it is unlikely to produce flowers or fruit. Needs protection from frost. In cold climates, it is best grown indoors, where it should have no direct sun, only diffused house light. Harvest leaves at any time. Harvest seeds before they are quite ripe. Seeds are unlikely in potted plants. ?Seeds? are actually the fruit with 3 seeds contained within, but the fruit is left whole till seeds are required for use.

• sooze
    20 years ago

This weekend I am dividing my cardamom and will have rhizomes if anyone wants some to try for themselves. I think they are just great plants and smell very "cardamomy" but would never expect fruit.
    Email if interested.

Some more info on the plant below - there's heaps out on the web and when you look there seems more than one variety. Mine looks like the one pictured in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cardamom

• Raymondo
    20 years ago

I'm going to try growing this fantastic spice from seed I bought in an Indian grocers. If it works and if I remember - long time yet till Spring - I'll put a post in this forum to let you all know. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

• Johnathon_
    20 years ago

I know of a lady who got her Cardamom to flower and set pods in Canberra. She grows it as a house plant. So it goes to show if you have the correct microclimate you can fool any plant.

• hivemind
    20 years ago

Where can I buy cardamom(n?) in western australia. I think it would grow well here during summer.

• greenfrog
    20 years ago

I've got a plant which was sold to me as Cardamom, it survived the -6C frosts last year in my garden in Ballarat with no damage at all. I've since heard that a species of Alpinia is often incorrectly sold as Cardamom and is perhaps more hardy than the true Cardamom. Whichever it is, I don't expect it to flower here, might be possible in Melbourne though.

• florial
    19 years ago

--i live in Brisbane and my cardamon has just surprised me with a flower spray contrary to all the advice i'd read about it being tropical etc.. dont know yet if it will set fruit-- have experimented with pollinating 1 flower- bees seem almost nonexistent.

• Jamus_S
    19 years ago

florial, is the flower up on a tall stem or down at ground level? What does it look like? A picture would be great.

• florial
    19 years ago

jamus i posted a reply and i think its under another cardamon heading, a couple of messages above this one- am unfamiliar with using this forum,, thks .florial

• freckle
    19 years ago

Raymondo, just read your post about trying the seeds. Did you have any luck? I would love to have a go at raising some, since I love the herb.

Cheers
    freckle.

• Jamus_S
    19 years ago

I read that Cardamom seeds have very low viability and erquire some special treatment to get them to germinate. Nitric acid treatment is the method used by most spice growers wishing to germinate seed. After soaking in dilute nitric acid germination is VERY slow, like months, and the seed are susceptible to fungal and bacterial rot during this time. I had some on the window sill for months on wet cotton wool but none germinated and I got tired of looking at it.

• Kavall
    13 years ago

Hi, I am new to this forum..

I live in Melbourne, and my cardamom plant has just sprouted its first flower pod...

I have been using the leaves for cooking since I put it in 4 years ago.

The plant is fairly healthy, and seams to like the location. (Shady side-way between the house & fence next to a Bay leaf & kaffir lime)

Does anyone have any ideas on how to promote more pods?

Cheers, Jon

• maryironssmith
    6 years ago

Cardamom pods cracked and included and the making of orange marmalade. Yum

Have it growing in the garden but no luck with flowering. Like the idea of using the leaves. Thank you.

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County