Lemon Peel good for you???

betty_the_villagesNovember 1, 2006

Does anyone know if it is safe to juice lemons with the peel on and make lemonade to drink? Will it do any harm to your body?

Betty in Florida

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth

Lemon peel is edible and quite safe to eat. Trouble is, that too much of it will add bitterness, especially if you leave on the white pith. I think you'd be better off just adding a strip or two of the rind to your jug of juice for lemonade, then removing the pith from the remainder, grating it, and freezing it for addition to other dishes. Lemon peel has a wide range of uses, from mixing in with butter to serve with fish, to adding to the mixture for lemon meringue pies, or to cake or muffin batters, or to icings for cakes, or to a whole heap of savoury dishes.

Ditto for other citrus like limes, oranges, mandarines or grapefruit.

My favourite way of serving citrus peel is as follows. I actually prefer lemon peel done this way, but they're all seriously yum. It's a good thing to do as a Christmas gift.

Chocolate Coated Orange Peel
2 large oranges
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
150g dark cooking chocolate, melted

Cut oranges into quarters and remove flesh, leaving on the white pith. Cut skins into 1cm strips. Place into a pan of boiling water, bring back to the boil and then drain. Repeat twice more to remove the bitter taste of the skins. Stir water and sugar together over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add orange rind and bring to the boil. Cook until rind becomes translucent - about 5 minutes. Remove rind to a wire rack and leave overnight to dry. Dip each strip of rind into melted chocolate and allow to set on foil. Dip into chocolate again if liked. (Lemon or grapefruit rinds may also be used.) Delicious with after-dinner coffee.

If you don't believe me, check out some of the sites at the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: lemon peel

Bookmark   November 7, 2006 at 3:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eaglenest

Please try this yum yum Syrian Salad that contain lemon peel:
According to the number of people to serve; cut equal quantities of tomato and cucumber into small pieces (say 1x1 cm), add few drops of lemon juice, salt, sumac, dry menthe (in fine pieces), good quality olive oil, very few pieces of onion (cut in 5x5 millimeters). Finally add lemon peel to your choice, cut in small pieces of say 5x2 millimeters.
Remember that the balance of salt/lemon juice is very important to give the final taste.

Also, you can buy Orange Jam (marmalade) that contains orange peel pieces (20x2 millimeter). if not available, you can buy orange jam and add the orange peel.

Enjoy!

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 5:23AM
More Discussions
Plant ID Please
Saw this on a trip to Dublin a while back... just curious...
asudevil311 - zone 9b
Palmetto Lawn Issues
Hey guys, Don't know if this is the right area to ask...
Bagsy
Type of Lilly Pilly?? Calling all experts!
Fellow Lilly Pilly experts, I planted 22 Syzygium Resilience...
Redbarronflys
HAVE: amazing coloured heirloom corn to trade
Hi everyone I have recently grown and seeded a few...
loomlove
Flying beetles
For several years we are visited bt black shiny beetlles...
tuppitoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™