SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisa_gw

help with nz natives

chrisa
22 years ago

Last November I picked up some DOC seed packets while on vacation in NZ. I have Mt Cook Lily, Clematis (paniculata) and Chatham Island Forget-Me-Nots. Each came with only 5-10 seeds per packet!

Well I followed the instructions which were not much...direct seeding for the Mt. Cook Lily and Forget-Me Nots and an overnight soak plus 2 weeks in the fridge in damp towel fro the Clematis. 20-30 days slow and erratic germination.

Now with some research (having seen no signs of life yet) I find out that Clematis usually wants more like 2 MONTHS of cold stratification and the Mt. Cook Lily wants to be cold stratified too. The Mt Cook Lily and Forget-Me Nots have been in an APS tray (with some other things that have already grown) for about a month, and the Clematis has been in another APS tray for almost 2 weeks now. They are located on a shelf over an old heater in my Brooklyn, NY apartment.

I would hate for these seeds to go to waste! Should I trust the (apparently over-simplified) seed packet instructions and keep waiting? Should I try to transplant the cells with the seeds in question into a seperate tray or pots and stick them back in the fridge? Or should I dig out the seeds and put them back in the fridge? Are they in danger of rotting? Is there hope for these seeds?

Any growing tips and suggestions on how to proceed from here would be much appreciated!!

Cheers!

Chris

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting