SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plumstupid

Luisa plum

plumstupid
10 years ago

Hey guys I just ordered a luisa plum for next season and was wondering if any of you guys had any information on it. I'm really curious as to what I need to pollinate it and what kind of sprays and pruning it will require and anything else you may know. Thanks guys.

Comments (58)

• jose_albacete
    9 years ago

Plumstupid Hello, I have great experience with the rootstock Myrobalan 29-C.
    It is a very compatible rootstock with all varieties of apricots and the varieties of plums Japanese, American and European.
    In terms of their behavior in soil, tolerates all soil types (heavy soils, sandy, calcareous) but misbehaves in very moist soils.

If this were the case, we recommend using the Marianna rootstock GF-81 (It is available in the US), is a magnificent rootstock for plum.
    It has the following advantages:

Marianna GF-81

- Resistance to cold winter "good"
    - Adaptation to Different Types of Soil "very good"
    - Resistant to iron chlorosis "very good"
    - Resistant to Choking Root "very good"
    - anchorage to soil "good"
    - Resistance to nematodes "very tough"
    - Tolerance to Agrobacterium tumefasiens "moderately strong"
    - Resistance to root rot, "resistant" and moderately resistant to Verticillium albo-Airum and Armillaria mellea

So if your soil is not too wet, the rootstock Mirabolan 29-c is right, but if your soil is very wet "encharcadizo" then the appropriate rootstock is Marianna GF-81

Best Regards
    Jose

• plumstupid
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the information Jose. The soil where my fruit trees are planted drains well so I should be ok. Do you know if there is any problems with suckering with myro 29c?

• Related Discussions

Got Any Good Tomato Recipes?

Q

Comments (24)
    Thought this might be a good time of year to resurrect this thread! :- ) I run my extra tomatoes through the food processor and then freeze them in 2-3 cup containers. No peeling, blanching or cooking. I really don't notice the peels when I dump it in a pot of chili - except that it tastes fresher than canned. As for recipes, I use one (modified) that I found online when I was looking for a way to use up ground turkey I found on sale. Turkey Pumpkin Chili Brown one pound ground turkey with one diced medium onion. Then add a can of beans (canelloni beans are my favorite), 2 cups diced tomatoes, 2 cups of pumpkin puree, 1 1/2 T chili powder, salt, and a bay leaf. I add pumpkin pie spice and chopped cilantro to taste. Then serve topped with shredded cheese and sour cream. The pumpkin doesn't really add much flavor on its own, but thickens the soup and gives you extra veggies. (If you don't like pumpkin, I'd season with something different than pumpkin pie spice, though.) If you get the meat on sale and the veggies from your garden, this is a dirt cheap, hearty soup for fall or winter. Don't expect it to be spicy like regular chili - just a nice fall soup.
    ...See More

Calling all American Range Owners

Q

Comments (150)
    donnay - congrats! how exciting - I was asking about the size because we got the 30" and that was where the differences were noted in the specs. My hubby was able to move the outlet easy enough once the range was here but we had placed it according to the drawing. Not a biggie just wanted you to be aware. Also keep in mind, if it is at floor level there is also some height to the legs that gives clearance too. mcferg - glad your burners were an easy fix! Sounds just like something I would do too. amg - great news for you too! Did you place the order! Hope thing progress along nicely for you. Hello to everyone else! We still love our range - no complaints, problems, issues....
    ...See More

Luis a Plum tree

Q

Comments (6)
    I don't have any help to offer but I have the same tree in North America and was wondering if you could offer any details about it. It's fairly new and I haven't found anyone with information about its taste or disease resistance.if you have ant pictures that would be great also. Thanks
    ...See More

I'm crazy about the Plum Luisa

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello again guys. I have a tremendous problem. I am crazy about grafting the plum variety Luisa (in Europe this variety is not available). Before in this forum It was possible to contact by private to request an exchange of interesting varieties for both, but now it is not possible to send private messages (or I am stupid and I do not know how to do it) jajajajaja . So I have no choice but to do it in a public way. I am from Spain and I have many years experience with fruit trees, my collection is huge ( Innumerable varieties of apples, pears, apricots, peaches, flat peaches, nectarines, cherries, pluots , pluerrys , plums , persimmons , etc ...) all my varieties are of high quality. Please if any of you have the plum variety Luisa, and would be kind enough to make a cuttings exchange this winter, I would be very grateful. This is my e-mail address hrsol@hrsol.es A very cordial greeting for all, and thanks for your attention Jose
    ...See More
  • jose_albacete
    9 years ago

Hello again Plumstupid. If your soil drains well the water , don't hesitate a moment, the rootstock mirobolan 29-C , is the most suitable for you .
    Not emits no rebound , the only drawback to , is that the first two years, this rootstock have a slow growth compared with other rootstocks , but from the third year develops very well giving a magnificent productions .

Plumstupid , i'm going send to you an e-mail for talk in private.

A great greeting
    Jose

• jose_albacete
    9 years ago

Hello again Plumstupid. If your soil drains well the water , don't hesitate a moment, the rootstock mirobolan 29-C , is the most suitable for you .
    Not emits no rebound , the only drawback to , is that the first two years, this rootstock have a slow growth compared with other rootstocks , but from the third year develops very well giving a magnificent productions .

Plumstupid , i'm going send to you an e-mail for talk in private.

A great greeting
    Jose

• olpea
    9 years ago

"In terms of [Myrobolan 29c] behavior in soil, tolerates all soil types (heavy soils, sandy, calcareous) but misbehaves in very moist soils."

I believe you are mistaken Jose. Myro (whether the seedling or the 29c clone) actually tolerates water-logged soils quite well and is recommended for wet soils.

Not only have I read this quite often, it also matches my experience growing plums on Myro. I've put them in wet enough spots which would kill or stunt most other fruit trees and Myro seems to do fine.

I wouldn't plant them in a bog, but if the soil gets a little water-logged, Myro should do fine.

• plumstupid
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Olpea thanks for the info. I always enjoy reading your posts because you are pretty close to my area and your knowledge helps me out a lot. If you have any advice on plum culture in our area feel free to post or email me. I don't really have much to share this year but would you ever be willing to trade scion wood?

• jose_albacete
    9 years ago

Olphea, the rootstock mirabolan 29-c is very good (I use it as a rootstock in my orchard), and these are their general characteristics:

Mirabolan 29 - C Selected seedlings California obtained by pollination free Prunus cerasifera. It is the most used in that US state.
    By culture in vitro It spreads well and by cuttings (pre-treatment with AIB 2000 ppm).the trees grafted in the first 3 to 4 years slow growth, and its poor anchorage
    in those early years.
    It adapts well to different soil types From the heavy, moist until sandy.
    To the varieties grafted on it, gives them a force of medium to low. It has a good affinity with Most varieties of Japanese and European plums , and the apricots . Is resistant to M. incognita and M. javanica
    , But is sensitive to Pratylenchus vulnus
    It is moderately resistant to the Agrobacterium tumefasiens
    to Verticillium spp. and Phytophthora spp
    . This rootstock is suitable for variety
    is vigorous planted in fertile soil.

This makes for very good rootstock (to me is personally one rootstock which I love), but in more difficult terrain conditions, the Marianna GF-81, is more resistant than the rootstock Mirabolan 29-c.
    This is what I wanted to explain to plumstupid.
    For this reason when he told me that your soil drains well, I tell you that the rootstock mirabolan 29-C , It is suitable rootstock.

Best regards
    Jose

• jose_albacete
    9 years ago

Hello again Olphea.
    Look, in situations like that you will see in the picture, is where the rootstock Marianna GF-81 marks the difference from the rootstock Mirabolan 29-C (this is an extreme case), but it is a significant example of the issue we are trying .

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/333d0ty.jpg[/IMG]

I know this is not your case or the case of plumstupid, but as this question I have made more than once , i wanted to put in value the twoo rootstocks.

There are and another very good rootstock for the apricot and plum that brings dwarfing character , confers earliness to the grafted variety and greater size of the fruit ,and is extremely resistant to Water Logging .
    Is the rootstock Adesoto é Puebla de Soto ( in a clone improved of the rootstock San Julian , that you have in the United States ) , the latter is a rootstock magnificent , but has a huge problem, and is that emits many sprouts .

The world of the rootstocks is infinite hahaha

Best regards
    Jose

• jose_albacete
    9 years ago

Sorry guys, but this forum is using a different code to upload images, this is the photo I wanted to attach

{{gwi:2120224}}

Best regards
    Jose

• olpea
    9 years ago

Jose,

I can't imagine plum trees surviving very long submerged in that water, regardless of rootstock.

Here in the Midwest, we don't have many of the issues you mention. All the pathogenic nematodes you mention are pretty much non-existent here. Likewise, I've never seen Verticillium wilt in peach trees (probably because there aren't nematodes to work in synergy w/ Verticillium). I've never heard of "choking root".

For myself, I don't like Marianna. It doesn't exhibit any advantages to me in this climate, and it suckers much more than Myro.

Plumstu,

What part of MO are you at?

• plumstupid
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm 60 miles south east of kc.

• olpea
    9 years ago

Plum,

That would put you around Bulter or Clinton? Maybe I've asked you before where you live. I can't remember. I have a small orchard in Belton, MO, and a backyard orchard at my house Stilwell KS.

Let me know if you are coming through sometime this winter and I can get you some plum scion wood if you want. Google Tubby Fruits for my Website. You can email me through that.

• plumstupid
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey thanks a lot olpea. I will get in contact with you soon.

• plumstupid
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm near Clinton by the way.

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    9 years ago

OH WOW...what a nice story to a nice plum, thank you for sharing this!
    Although I'm zone 3 and can grow Green Gage, rated zone 5, I surely
    would love to experiment on this one! If Louisa is a Japanese plum then it could be even hardier then Green Gage.

• gman290
    8 years ago

My wife & I have two Luisa trees in our orchard in Maungaturoto, Northland, NZ. We have an abundance of plums, so much so that we are giving them away by the bag. They are not huge trees, but bountiful. Where they are positioned is dry but very windy. One is more exposed than the other. We do nothing for them. They just sit there & then produce loads of fruit & delicious at that. We don't spray at all & if anything, will use DE for the flea beetles. My wife has bottled them but they are better tasting fresh in my opinion. They are great to pick 2-3 days beforehand to ripen. Even though we have high humidity at the moment, 96%, ugh!!, there is very little sign of rot. The peaches & nectarines next to it, are getting rot though. If you can get a tree, it is well worth it. It was great to see the story of where the Luisa came from over here. http://cabbagetreefarm.blogspot.co.nz/2015/02/bottling-plums.html

Luisa plum tree approx 4 yrs old

• plumstupid
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the info gman. Hopefully this year mine will produce.

• Bryce Hows
    7 years ago

bryce,

we have grown 2 trees in Kerikeri, northland ,nz. the trees are a heavy croppers and is good eating , jam, relish and best of all is wine.

• plumstupid
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Bryce, no crop for this year but hopefully next year. I'm glad everyone likes it.

• Jess
    7 years ago

I just bought a Luisa. Im thinking of adding another fruit graft to it. I don't have much room hence needing to add it to the existing tree. Any ideas of what? I live in Perth WA Australia. If it tastes more like a peach I might have to get more of a plumy plum because I brough it as my husband only likes plums.

• Sandy Rose
    7 years ago

Year two and first fruit from my Luisa in the Bay of Plenty NZ...So much the branches are snapping ...been tying them up and supporting lower boughs ...maybe next year I should thin the fruit out?...all in learning

• plumstupid
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow Sandy, sounds like a great producer!

• Mack Apaapa
    7 years ago

Hi Sandy I too am in the Bay of Plenty, Whakatane. My Luisa tree is three years old and has produced the most amazing crop. I have a good harvest, This plum is the best. I even removed another variety as I will now take cuttings from this one and produce more trees. I believe the people I bought it from did the same with great success. It does have the nicckname of a Mango plum but I have since learned that there is a variety of that name. A friend came around yesterday and was blown away with the taste. She then shot away and came back with a bottle of vodka. She split a plum in half the long way, took out the seed, and dribbled straight vodka over the top. One of the best alcohol shots I have ever had.

• Sandy Rose
    7 years ago

It is a lovely tree ..many have admired it This pic is of one tiny branch I swear i dont know how its holding on!! Mack..Whakatane must be the place to grow Luisa ...I live here also. The Vodka shot sounds yum...enjoy!

• dave99999
    7 years ago

I have been looking around for Luisa Plum, but no luck. Does anyone has
    extras seeds and willing send on my way? I live in Seatac, Washington.

• jose_albacete
    6 years ago

Hello again guys.
    I have a tremendous problem.
    I am crazy about grafting the plum variety Luisa (in Europe this variety is not available).
    Before in this forum It was possible to contact by private to request an exchange of interesting varieties for both, but now it is not possible to send private messages (or I am stupid and I do not know how to do it) jajajajaja .
    So I have no choice but to do it in a public way.
    I am from Spain and I have many years experience with fruit trees, my collection is huge ( Innumerable varieties of apples, pears, apricots, peaches, flat peaches, nectarines, cherries, pluots , pluerrys , plums , persimmons , etc ...) all my varieties are of high quality.
    Please if any of you have the plum variety Luisa, and would be kind enough to make a cuttings exchange this winter, I would be very grateful.

This is my e-mail address

hrsol@hrsol.es

A very cordial greeting for all, and thanks for your attention
    Jose

• dave99999
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

When is Luisa Plum season in USA? I can't find any plant in Washington State. Hopefully, I can try some fruit this year.

• puritachoy
    6 years ago

I live in Auckland NZ, I have a Luisa Plum tree with big fruit this year. Unfortunately it was hitted by strong wind yesterday, lots of unriped fruits fell down from the tree. What can I do with this ? Is it possible to make jam or eat ?

Purita

• jose_albacete
    6 years ago

Hi Purita,
    Unfortunately if the fruits of your Luisa plum have fallen to the ground without reaching their optimum point of maturation, they will not be useful at all (I regret having to give you this bad news).
    We can not control the weather conditions, for this reason when something like this happens, it's very sad.

I am from Spain and in Europe this variety of plum is not available.

I have been looking for this variety of plum for my orchard for many years, you would be so kind to send me some cuttings of your plum Luisa, in your winter (month of July), which would be the beginning of summer in my hemisphere and I could graft it without problems.

Purita, if you want to contact me, this is my email

hrsol@hrsol.es

Best regards

Jose

• vermillion237
    6 years ago

Hi Plumstupid. I have tasted Luisa plums. They are delicious, as good as they look! I'm a member of a home orchard society, and have a St Julian A rootstock, trying desperately to find a Luisa plum scion or barefoot tree stateside. Do you still have a tree, and would you be willing to set up an exchange?

• dave99999
    6 years ago

I am looking for Luisa and Victoria plum seeds. I do have Carolina Reaper Pepper, Pacific Rose Apple, Loquat seeds to trade. Drop me an email if interest.

• HU-143144648
    5 years ago

Just to add to the mix. My Dad, now deceased, would have been in mid 90's now but he bought me a Luisa plum some years ago because he said it was the same tree that fruited on the shores of a remote harbour on the West Coast of New Zealand when he was a boy growing up there. I grew it successfully and the fruit was beautiful. It is said to be part apricot, part plum.

• Mack Apaapa
    5 years ago

Just letting all you enthusiasts know that the local garden centres in Bay of Plenty New Zealand have been selling 1 metre trees of Luisa plums. I brought another one for $25 and already the leaves are flourishing. However they have become big sellers.

• HU-165665423
    5 years ago

Hello, I've had the Luisa plum about 4 yrs. It has always produced lots of fruit but last year half of the fruit was tasteless and not sweet. Could this be to much fruit on the tree or lack of watering? It's in the early fruiting stage now and am considering taking some off. What could the problem be and what could I try? Thanks Andre

• dave99999
    5 years ago

Can someone from New Zealand tell me the date that plum ready to harvest? I love to get some seeds or tree, but not available where I live (Seattle, Washington State). I heard Raintree have them several years ago and no longer available.

• Sandy Rose
    5 years ago

Here in Bay of Plenty NZ we harvest early to mid February

• Mack Apaapa
    5 years ago

Hey dave99999 I have seeds, not sure about the protocol to get them to you though.

• dave99999
    5 years ago

Mack,

If you have plenty send me some through mail. I live in Seattle Washington State - USA and gladly return other seeds for exchange. I am still try to find out if I can send you private email. Let me know if you want to do that.

• Mack Apaapa
    5 years ago

Here's my email

mack.apaapa.jnr@outlook.com

• HU-617747457
    5 years ago

I am from NZ up North where the climate is mild. Almost sub tropical in places. Everyone has a Luisa Plum and nobody I know tries very. hard with them. I know they like potash and maybe a Billington Plum for a pollinator. Hope this helps :)

• A Amico
    4 years ago

Dave99999...are you still looking for a Luisa plum start? We are down in GH across the bridge with a tree. You are welcome to a cutting or two. Let me know.

• dave99999
    4 years ago

I am still interest the Luisa plum. I live in Seattle Washington State USA and still unable to get any cutting locally here.

• rayrose SC 8
    4 years ago

You can buy cuttings from Bob Purvis. That's where I got mine.

• HU-699922767
    3 years ago

Luisa is not a European type that needs a winter chill. It doesn't need a pollinater, because it is self fertile. Best way to propagate is to graft onto a rootstock suitable for your soil. Very juicy and mainly type to eat fresh. Roy Hart

• A Amico
    3 years ago

Dave99999, contact me at bluroosterfarm@gmail.com for more info on getting a Luisa Plum cut for grafting if you are still interested.

• HU-393969512
    2 years ago

To my knowledge they are self polinating. we had one put m last year snd it flowered well but extreme eind & rsin destroyed the blosdom. we were looking fwd to the fruit as we have been told they are great eating plums.

• HU-393969512
    last year

We had the same issue last year and also recommended as one of th best eating plims. they are self polinating, it is the only plum we have. this year we have an abundance of plums that are developing well. fingers crossed we will get to eat some delicious fruit.

• Olia Alpatskaya
    last year

Hi, you don't need pollinator for luisa plums. They very juicy, most amazing taste, tonns of them on trees. They don't like rain- split on rain, and can have brown spot from touching each other.

• HU-418869436
    3 months ago

Why would a Louisa Plum tree persistantly drop half of her fruit before its ripe? yea we do get wind but the cabbage tree comme t says their tree is in a windy position and they get loads…its a shame because shes a healthy tree laiden with fruit?

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County