Welcome to Mercy599's Member Page
My name is Mercy, and I am a (relatively) young gardener, both in age and experience. I discovered my love of growing things while I lived in Sacramento California (the perfect place to garden lol). When I moved back to Arkansas in Little Rock, I began to work at The Good Earth garden center and the fascination with gardening turned into an addiction.
I worked really hard to gain an understanding of the plants that we sold, and I know quite a lot, however, experience is often nature's best teacher, so I have a long way to go.
I currently live in a rental house where the landlord allows me full use of the acre lot for gardening. I have a ton of my own potted plants and also full use of the yard. Because it is a rental, my "favorities" (aka babies:) are in pots so that I don't have to leave them here when I move.
Some of my favorite plants include:
1. African violets
2. Ferns of every indoor and outdoor variety: favorities: staghorn, button, autumn, birdsnest, ostrich,maidenhair and holly
4. Camelias (Sacramento is the Camelia capital of the world:)
5. Jap. Maples
6. Air plants (if you are an experienced air plant grower, talk to me, I am experimenting with Ions peanut, rubra, and fuego among others and I need all the help I can get:)
7. Begonias (just starting to get into growing the tuberous double blooming varieties)
8. Heat loving annuals that don't wimp out in these humid and hot hot Zone 7 summers
11. ORCHIDS (of all varieties)
And many many more
I am very interested in growing from seed, root, tubers, etc. to keep gardening costs down. I am also very interested in trading plants and free pass alongs. I have some to give and a ton that I wouldn't mind receiving so feel free to check out my lists:0)
I really want to connect with local gardeners and pick the brains of those old-faithfuls who have been progating, growing, and learning for years.
If you have extensive knowledge re: grow lights and overwintering plant, please talk to me if you have time. I'd love to hear about what you've had success with and what has not worked.
I have a ton of orchids that I am just kind of plugging along taking care of that're healthy, but I need advice about how to get them to re-bloom and thrive.
I live in: United States
My zone is: 7
My Birthday is April 15 .
First registered on April 11, 2012 .