Welcome to jaleeisa's Member Page
I am a newly married mother with an amazing husband and five children and wanting to start a garden to both feed them and as therapy for a traumatic event in the last year. I am never really comfortable without growing things around me. I am just getting started in a new home, but thanks to some really generous gardeners around here, my family and I are going to have a really wonderful set of gardens this year! I have come to really enjoy exchanging seeds as much as planting them. So I am officially a seedaholic/plantaholic. I also enjoy helping new gardeners start out. After all...how terrible can life truly be with the glory of Nature’s bounty before you?
My Garden Themes - Anything for these would be very much enjoyed!
1. Fairy Wonderland- This bed is lots of fun! I’m wanting some mini roses for this one along with other minis or dwarfs. Not sure if mini roses put off seeds, though. It is part sun/shade
Lamb’s Ears, bunny tail grass,minor thyme,Scented Geraniums,foxglove,sweet peas, lady’s slippers, bread seed poppy,Heuchera, mosses,Campanula Carpatica "Blue Clips", mini roses, micro mini roses
2. Gnome Home- would really like some seeds/ideas for this one since it’s a new bed :P
3. Gargoyle/Gothic - another new bed going in this next year, spawned by some little concrete gargoyles I picked up to decorate for Halloween. My husband suggested a "proper" home for them year round :) Any ideas/ suggestions and seeds are welcome!This will probably be a part sun bed.
Special wants : Anything darker shades or deep red in color
4. Frog Bog - another bed I’m working on. We’re going to try to put in some type of moving water feature with still pools. It will be a mostly shade bed to make our boggy friends feel at home!
Special wants Unsure, this is the first time I’ve tried to do a frog garden! :P
5. Hum and Flutter - Hummingbirds and butterflies-
’Gay Butterflies’ Honeysuckle, Himalayan Honeysuckle, Dutch Honeysuckle ’Florida’, ’Gold Flame’ Honeysuckle, ’Harlequin’ Honeysuckle, Black-Eyed Susan Sunrise Surprise, Black-Eyed Susan Vine Blushing Susie, Salvias- any
6. Shade Tree... Gardener! (as opposed to the traditional mechanic!)Anything that will grow and hopefully provide color in the shade. The areas where this will go is very barren due to large trees in the neighbor’s yard as well as the storage shed shading the other side. It gets very little direct sunlight.
7. Naughty Garden - This one is for plants, veggies and flowers with naughty names or that just look naughty. I have some things, like Peter Pepper, a wild plants that looks like the "Hairy Balls", Dutchman’s Pipe, etc. This is a fun garden and not meant to offend anyone. It’s done in my backyard and is framed by a twin metal head and foot boards :)This bed is partial sun/shade.
Special Wants Clitoria Ternia,Vigna Caracalla
And I also have long beds for Day lilies, lilies, iris and cannas . I also have several fences that I’d love to cover with honeysuckle or humming bird attracting/nesting vines.I also do a rather large veggie garden in spring and fall. So, I’m pretty much open for anything :) And my two sons, ages 11 and 8 are avid gardeners as well . They are pretty much open to anything and each have very mixed beds.
I live in: United States
My zone is: 6b Oklahoma
My favorite forum 1 is Seed Exchange.
My favorite forum 2 is Round Robin Exchange.
First registered on February 16, 2008 .