SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drdaily

Self leveling basement problem

Mike Daily
14 days ago

Hi all - I am finishing a room in my basement and need to level out the concrete floor (it's going to be used as a home gym, so I want the floor as level as possible so I'm lifting on even ground). I was planning to use self-leveling compound, and prepped the floor with a primer (Mapei Primer T from Lowes). I'm now trying to assess how much self-leveler I will need - and it seems to be a lot, by my calculation. I attached some pictures below. The room is 27x18 ft, so close to 500 sqft. I hung the drywall perfectly level, so the bottom edge is level. In the pictures you can see that the middle of the back wall appears to be the highest point (the drywall essentially rests directly on the floor) and then it slopes down as you move away toward the corners of the room (you can see how much gap there is between the floor and the drywall). At those edges, it's close to 2" of a gap.
As a rough estimate, I'm assuming I need to cover 500 sqft at a thickness of 2". The Mapei Self Leveler Plus from Lowes (https://www.lowes.com/pd/MAPEI-Self-Leveler-Plus-50-lb-Powder-Self-leveling-Underlayment/5014025089)
says it will cover 1" for 6 sqft per bag. 500 sqft / 6 sqft = 84 bags - and then double that to cover 2 inches - and that comes out to 168! At $34.99 per bag, that would be almost $6000 - also, that many bags just sounds ridiculously impractical. There must be a better way... Looking for recommendations on what I should I do. Should I use regular concrete to fill in the lower spots first to bring it closer to level, and then do a much thinner level of self leveler? Am I crazy and doing the math wrong? My math assumes 2" across the whole floor, and obviously that much is only needed for the lowest spots - is there a better way for me to estimate what I need more accurately? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! (Looks like I may have jumped the gun, as I already put the primer down on the floor...)

Comments (18)