SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sushipup2

Little bitty avocados

sushipup2
9 days ago

We've been getting the bags of small avocados for a little while, and we love them. If they soften on the counter, and then go into the fridge, they are perfect when we pull them out to use them. We like to halve an avocado and put a little Italian dressing in the pit, and scoop, or I'll add to salads. I usually pay about $3.50 to $3.80 for a bag of 6 or so. Started getting these at Trader Joe's but now I see then elsewhere.

Have you tried these?

Comments (31)

• nicole___
    9 days ago

Yes. Safeway and Sprouts has them locally. LOVE them!!!!

sushipup2 thanked nicole___
  • lucillle
    9 days ago

Much of the time I like the small avocados. But occasionally there will be a batch that when soft enough to eat has brown unappetizing patches inside. It might be a packing issue or the type of avocado, IDK.

sushipup2 thanked lucillle
  • gsciencechick
    9 days ago

Yes, Harris Teeter has these, too.

Omg, I'd love to have an avocado tree!

sushipup2 thanked gsciencechick
  • Olychick
    9 days ago

I like the small ones, too. My in-laws lived in LA and had both a lemon and avocado tree. She worked for an airline, so flew to visit fairly often and would fill a huge suitcase with both lemons and avocados to bring to us. The best part of their visits, for sure.

sushipup2 thanked Olychick
  • Elmer J Fudd
    9 days ago

I've seen them too. Maybe the avocado growers thin the fruit at the beginning of growing season so that those left to mature are larger, that could be the source of the small ones.

I may have mentioned before that the nextdoor neighbor where we lived for my grades 4-12 had a large avocado tree in the backyard that kept those on the street who were interested well supplied. This was in a residential neighborhood in a city, not a rural or hillside location.

sushipup2 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • sushipup2
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Chloebud, these seem to be grown to this size specifically for this packaging of 6 together in a mesh bag, and yes, they are Haas, but I don't know if it's some tweaking, perhaps they are grown for the size. Lucille, we just cut away unappetizing spots. But I've gotten very good avocados in the small size. The regular sized ones had become so expensive and often disappointing.

• chloebud
    9 days ago

Sushipup, IDK, it’s possible they’re intentionally grown that way. One of the nice things about having an avocado tree is you can ”store” the fruit on the tree. They don’t ripen on the tree…only when picked. The Hass from our tree tend to be no larger than medium and always good.

sushipup2 thanked chloebud
  • cawaps
    9 days ago

I've gotten the small ones occasionally. I'm always pleased when the pit is tiny (not always), because I feel like I got a particularly good deal.

sushipup2 thanked cawaps
  • Olychick
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

I remember visiting a friend in Santa Barbara quite a few years ago, and standing on her porch, I kept hearing this 'thunking'. I finally found the source and it was a huge avocado tree (or 2) at the neighbor's, which was dropping it's fruit and then they were rolling down the hilly, curvy road. It was both comical for some reason, but sad, since avocados were so dear to me I couldn't imagine just letting them roll away.

sushipup2 thanked Olychick
  • Jupidupi
    9 days ago

I like the tiny ones, too, although sometimes the pit is huge and there is almost nothing to eat. I like some things from Trader Joe's, but find their produce to be unpredictable. Some of the best...and worst produce I have bought is from there. I keep buying it because it looks good, but at least 25% of what I get there is mediocre or downright bad. The last two times I've gotten their avocados, I left them on the counter and in one day they went from hard to soft black mush. If anyone has any secret to buying avocados, I'd love to know.

sushipup2 thanked Jupidupi
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 days ago

How tiny is tiny? I've been buying bags of organic ones that are around 3 inches or so in length for quite some time.

Don't many fruit trees often bear a variety of sizes? Packing houses sort and grade produce, so these may just be something that wasn't desirable before now.

I haven't had good luck with TJ's avos, I get mine at Aldi, and they've been pretty reliable - haven't seen them lately, tho.

sushipup2 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • lucillle
    9 days ago

Got a bag at Aldi's today so maybe they are coming your way.

sushipup2 thanked lucillle
  • chloebud
    9 days ago

“Don't many fruit trees often bear a variety of sizes?”

They do but our avocados seem to be more uniform and medium sized. Pretty sure if we picked them when mini/tiny there would be a ripening issue. My in-laws had three trees that produced large avocados with some close to a pound each. They were also about as perfect as it gets.

This is an avocado from our tree with a very ”normal” size pear for size comparison. This avocado is 9 ounces, more on the larger size for our tree.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 days ago

It's probably a specific variety, then - and there are a lot. My sister's tree in CA has some of variation in the sizes. My fave kind is actually the big Mexican type that we grew up knowing as 'Florida' avos.

• Jasdip
    9 days ago

I love buying the avocados of 5 in a bag. When I'm lucky I can get them for $2.88. Like you I leave them on the counter for a couple of days then into the frig.

sushipup2 thanked Jasdip
  • terezosa / terriks
    9 days ago

Yes, I've been buying them at Trader Joe's. So far, I haven't had a bad one, and they keep quite a while in the refrigerator.

sushipup2 thanked terezosa / terriks
  • lily316
    9 days ago

I haven't seen the tiny ones but my supermarket sells giant ones which I have never seen before. I eat half a regular one every day and that size suits me well. But I always get them at Aldi for 59-69 cents compared to $1.59 at Traders.

sushipup2 thanked lily316
  • Elmer J Fudd
    8 days ago

I bought two a few days ago. They're bumpy, have the Bravocado brand name printed on the sticker and identify as California avocados. I'm going to guess they are the predominent Hass (or Haas) variety that prevails here. This variety is most common in California because the fruit is considered more tasty and creamy than others but it cannot tolerate the heat and humidity that prevails in tropical or subtropical places like Florida. Those avocados tend to be larger too.

In that the growing season has just begun and it hasn't yet been that warm, my guess remains that they are either the trimmings from tree thinning or are just small avocados that are removed just the same before prime harvesting season begins some months from now.

• sushipup2
    Original Author
    8 days ago

No, Elmer, these are available year- round, packaged in a green net bag of 5 or 6 for about $3.50.

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 days ago

OK - I defer to you. My wife is the normal avocado buyer, I specialize in other things at the market. ;-)

• chloebud
    8 days ago

”This variety is most common in California because the fruit is considered more tasty and creamy than others…”

Right…and the tasty/creamy comes from a higher (monounsaturated) fat content.

”Hass” is the correct spelling.

• jill302
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

Need to give these a try, they sound delicious.

Our house is on property that is a former avocado ranch and we have had no luck growing avacado trees that produce, we have even consulted an arborist and followed their advice. Lots of producing avacado trees on the lots that connect to mine, very frustrating. Anyway, after much time and money spent trying to grow avocados, I have given up and just buy my avocados at the store.

sushipup2 thanked jill302
  • dedtired
    7 days ago

My brother has an entire avocado orchard. The avocadoes are the size of softballs. Costs a fortune to keep the orchard watered, so he has been slowly cutting them down.

The smaller ones sound nice.

sushipup2 thanked dedtired
  • sushipup2
    Original Author
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

The key to getting the most out of the small ones is to leave the bag out on the counter and check everyday, Then, as they soften, move to the fridge where they will be stable for several days. You'll find that they will soften at different times.

• Patriciae
    7 days ago

I thought this is a question for Ms/Mr Google. So I looked up varieties of Avocados. There are several tiny avocados as it turns out. I learned some surprising things about avocados as well. It is best to have both major types as the flowers open female or male on different days on a fixed rotation depending on the type. Well.... The two main types open M or F on opposing days so they more reliably pollinate each other.

When I was in my teens in Florida you could buy avocados from guys selling them cheap out of pickup trucks on back roads. They were small and less bumpy than a Hass. I love avocados. I have occasionally found little ones and the pits seemed smaller. I assumed they were a variety for single serve.

sushipup2 thanked Patriciae
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 days ago

There are many, many avocado varieties - here's just a few, from UC Riverside. You can click the names to see what they look like...

https://avocado.ucr.edu/variety-list#3-1-1

• chloebud
    7 days ago

That’s quite a list, Carol! I’m most familiar with, Hass, Fuerte and Bacon.

• Judi
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

I've been buying the mini avocados and demi-baguette ciabatta at TJ's. Both are great for avocado toast!

sushipup2 thanked Judi
  • chloebud
    yesterday

Judi, I am never without the ciabatta demi-baguettes!👍🏻

• mtnrdredux_gw
    yesterday

sushipup2 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations